I have a newbie hog hunt question regarding bait.

Slimpickens

So I have permission to hunt a 300 acre farm. I put some diesel corn out this morning in an area where I found some tracks... Should I be out there tonight or wait a day?

Thank you in advance.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Anytime you can hunt. HUNT.

Diesel/corn old timers bait secret. Supposedly attracts hogs. EPA and Hippies frown against it.

Welcome to the madness.

Slimpickens

Lol I've also heard that powdered sugar on corn works well too.....My neighbor's sons trap hogs all the time. They suggested the diesel corn and powdered sugar.

Last edited:

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well, it may help keep the coons and deer from eating it as fast, but may not help bring in hogs in any particular way. If it did, we would all be using it.

The downside is that hogs often react badly to a new stimulus in the environment, especially one that the pungent. They (and some other cautious animals) sometimes choose to avoid the new thing until they determine that it is part of the norm and not something strange/weird/scary/threatening.

Slimpickens

Well, it may help keep the coons and deer from eating it as fast, but may not help bring in hogs in any particular way. If it did, we would all be using it.

The downside is that hogs often react badly to a new stimulus in the environment, especially one that the pungent. They (and some other cautious animals) sometimes choose to avoid the new thing until they determine that it is part of the norm and not something strange/weird/scary/threatening.
I see..... So I may have shot myself in the foot.... Well I'm definitely here to learn and to try and help my kiddo bag her first hog. The farm has several oil and gas wells on it as a pit for vacuum trucks to blow off into.
Idk.... the owner told me I could shoot everyone of them.... Wouldn't that be nice? I just want to put a few under our belts. Learn the animals and become more proficient at taking hogs. We intend to process them and put some meat in the freezer too. So we're looking for meat and not trophies. If a trophy wonders up... Then great, but it's not what's driving us.
My neighbor says to start about 10on and see what happens? He is confident that 10pm is a great time to get set up and get up on them. Is there any truth to this? All I know is what I've read. And that's definitely not real world experience.
Thanks
Leo

Lrtx1

LSB Member
My advice would be keep the corn in good supply and set up a game camera, a cheap one will work fine. I have 2 SD cards per camera and swap them every time I am near the site. Try to get a pattern on them.

Once you figure out when and where, get scent free and pay attention to the wind. When they show up shoot shoot shoot until there isn't anything left to shoot at. Now go whack a bunch!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I see..... So I may have shot myself in the foot.... Well I'm definitely here to learn and to try and help my kiddo bag her first hog. The farm has several oil and gas wells on it as a pit for vacuum trucks to blow off into.
Idk.... the owner told me I could shoot everyone of them.... Wouldn't that be nice? I just want to put a few under our belts. Learn the animals and become more proficient at taking hogs. We intend to process them and put some meat in the freezer too. So we're looking for meat and not trophies. If a trophy wonders up... Then great, but it's not what's driving us.
My neighbor says to start about 10on and see what happens? He is confident that 10pm is a great time to get set up and get up on them. Is there any truth to this? All I know is what I've read. And that's definitely not real world experience.
Thanks
Leo

If the property already has old and gas wells on it, then there is plenty of petroleum product for pigs to access. I have hunted properties with oil and gas rigs and they are often nasty. One thing I don't see going on is pigs wanting to ingest petroleum products. You may get them to eat corn that has been in diesel, but you won't find them licking the spills on the ground for yummy flavor. You probably don't want to eat them if they are.

10 PM? Hogs don't wear watches, right? If he is out and seeing then around that time, then you might consider getting there a couple of hours early. Sometimes they will be early. Sometimes they will be late. Sometimes they won't show.

Get a game camera or two and see what shows up and when. You can pattern hogs until they no longer hold the pattern. Over on Texas Hunting Forum there have been numerous threads where people express disappointment about having patterned a hog that didn't show up at the appointed hour or even for the night. Keep in mind that while a hog may be coming for X nights around Y time, the hog is doing other things all the rest of the time. So his schedule may change depending on what is going on. Maybe he finds a patch of sweet onions to graze on before he gets to your place, or some dog chases him. Heck, maybe your neighbor shoots at him a few times? Even worse, maybe he approaches from down wind of where you are waiting for him and so never shows where you expect him. All you know is that he did show.

The point is that 10PM may work, or it may not. It isn't a special time for hogs. They are likely eating somewhere during the hours leading up to 10pm and the hours following 10PM, when they aren't otherwise sleeping, drinking, wallowing, mating, nursing, etc.

You know, hogs are fairly individualistic and even groups have their own personalities. They are very adaptive to circumstance. Maybe the hogs will already be there when you show up (regardless of when that is). Maybe they will show up soon after you arrive. Maybe you will have to wait hours for them to show if they do. That is hunting.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The diesel corn may help keep the coons and deer off your bait and the hogs will eat it and maybe find it easier. I use a farm product safer that is called Kreso-dip, smells like diesel and creosote. I don't know about you but every creosote pole on our lease is used as a rubbing/social post. We even install rubbing posts that have the kreso-dip on them for the hogs. We use to use diesel and old oil but became more aware that could pollute and since we eat our hogs did not want them ingesting it...Just a light spray works not a gallon added to the bait.

You can pattern hogs as we have for 5 years on the same lease and the first thing you will find out is there is no pattern...lol everytime you see a pattern and go out to attack it, there seems to be a change...happens most times.

Slimpickens

Thank y'all for the pointers and kind words. I thought the 10pm suggestion was silly. I've hunted deer for 13 years and I guess to me I would think some of the same applies. I suppose it's hard being a new guy and wanting to make something work. Its hard not to ask what will give me the best results. So My initial instinct was to do some scouting. Setup a ground blind and a game camera. Just as I would if I were hunting deer.
I think I'll follow that plan. As you guys suggest.
About two years ago we had them on our property. We live on 150 acres outside of Henderson Tx. I put some corn out and had fresh tracks every day. Sometimes mid morning. The best I could tell. Well I put out some persimmon buck jam. I tied it to the bumper of mt 4 wheeler, poked a hole in the bottom of the jug and drove from where they were hitting the corn to an area I could set up better. Well they got every spot that buck jam touched. However I didn't have a game camera at the time and couldn't catch up with them. Then they were gone. Like they were never here.... Figures right???
So I would like a rematch. My daughter started hunting medium game two years ago. Took a 3x3 buck this year during youth season. Talk about one proud dad! So she says dad I wanna hunt hogs. Only thing is she is to young I feel like for a spot and stalk. So we will be shooting be in a box blind or ground blind or maybe from the truck.... Honestly. I don't need one of those bastards to charge her and hurt her. I would never forgive myself.

Slimpickens

Ps.
I didn't waste diesel on the ground with the corn. I saved it for another batch, but I guess I'll just use it for a burn pile.
Btw
Does making a rubbing post from used motor oil and an old carpet really work to draw them in?
Thanks
Leo

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
At my lease it has, they have bugs and ticks on them and enjoy the treatment. Hogs also use it as a social post telling others who is in the area. On the powerline only the creosote treated posts have rings and markings on them, they also cut the pines on their paths and use the sap for the same thing...Pretty interesting really

Slimpickens

I would probably put out a hog roll barrel, and hunt over that.
I've thought of that. So I just need some 4-6" diameter pvc about 4-6' long, a t post, and end caps one that I can unscrew to add corn? I've also read of people putting rock's in there so when the corn is gone the hogs will still roll it around.... Thinking there is still corn in there from the sound of the rocks...
Should I chain it to the t post or use rope?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I suggest souring corn in a bucket and spreading it in the area, putting out a roll barrel with regular corn, and setting up a camera. The sour stuff will bring them to find the bait sight quicker. The barrel will keep them coming back. The camera will tell you when they start to frequent the bait. Once they come in a few times and are used to the bait, go hunting.