rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have pushed this bullet over max charge in most my rifles and they all like to be at or just below max. Which in comparison to factory the velocity is about the same. My hand loads a a bit faster, but then again I load long.

Only rifles that don't like the 120's is my 16" bison and 20" *** savage. I have tried many variations in the bison and couldn't get it under 2 moa, still playing with the savage though but that is around 2 moa too.

My *** 16" and 20" stag both shoot sub moa with identical loads.

Keep in mind though, most online retailers are out of stock and after an email to hornady they could not tell me when another run would happen.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If anyone has some extra SSTs loaded similar to some of the guys here (CCI 450 primers, 27.x AA2200, 120 grain SSt, 2.295) let me know. I would like to try some in my rifle before buying reloading equipment. I do have hornandy and federal brass I could trade or I can do cash.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If anyone has some extra SSTs loaded similar to some of the guys here (CCI 450 primers, 27.x AA2200, 120 grain SSt, 2.295) let me know. I would like to try some in my rifle before buying reloading equipment. I do have hornandy and federal brass I could trade or I can do cash.
FYI selling reloads without an FFL is illegal, not to sure on the legality of trades though. Also most reloaders don't let others shoot their reloads due to liability issues. If you get hurt or equipment damaged due to shooting reloads the reloader could loose everything. That is why reman ammo manufacturers have insurance and they typically incorporate.

Not to discourage you but there is that to keep in mind. Best option is to find someone with equipment that you can use to roll your own until you decide to get your own. I have done this a couple times, but the new guy came to my bench and I just gave suggestions. But those guys where good friends, I don't think I would do that for a stranger.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ah okay... time to reload then. Thanks!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You will like reloading for me it is like therapy. Just nice and easy. The biggest thing for me is making sure each round is powered the same which is why I like to use Hornaday's electronic powder measure good to be with in .1 gr.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I worked up a load for 120sst's. 18in *** barrel on an upper put together by Eric at Blackstone Arms. 100 yard 5 shot group measured at .625. 120SST.jpg
Hornady brass
Hornady 120sst
CCI 450 primers
26.1 gr of H322
2.270 OAL
2405FPS
Dead Air Sandman S suppressor.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah those *** barrels suck, should all be in the same hole. Hey H, just kidding, I love them! I think you have a shooter there

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
+1 here with Frank. Good shooting glass is only as good as the trigger finger shoots it.

Dnewcomb929

Any try 1680 behind a 120 SST ?

I just found 1680 for the first time in 2 years. Gonna try it out on some 110 v-max as I don't have any sst's.
It will suck though to fall in love with a powder that only can be found every 2 years but I'll give it a shot :)

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Selway has/had a few boxes of 120gr SSTs , do not know if they have any left, also had some Grendel 123SSts BANG BANG!!

nonnieselman

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
lafyette shooters has 120sst projectiles for $22 on sale right now. I buy a 10 boxes here and there to keep my stock up. But right now im on the 105 grain Cavity back bullet kick. Just ordered another 100 of them.

Wessel

Guys, I have a 18" *** 6.8 barrel with the *** superbolt. I have been shooting S&B 115 FMJ factory and Hornady 120 SST factory without any problems. Today I shot some rounds I hand loaded for the first time, through a chronograph. I loaded 120 SST, S&B brass, AA2200 powder at 25g, 26g, 27g, 28g. I shot 5 of each and every single one short stroked. The 28g loads got the same velocity as the S&B FMJ's factory loads.

Any ideas on why my hand loads are short stroking?

Thanks

dman62

LSB Member
Guys, I have a 18" *** 6.8 barrel with the *** superbolt. I have been shooting S&B 115 FMJ factory and Hornady 120 SST factory without any problems. Today I shot some rounds I hand loaded for the first time, through a chronograph. I loaded 120 SST, S&B brass, AA2200 powder at 25g, 26g, 27g, 28g. I shot 5 of each and every single one short stroked. The 28g loads got the same velocity as the S&B FMJ's factory loads.

Any ideas on why my hand loads are short stroking?

Thanks