Hornady 120 SST for 6.8 SPC

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
BB that is some big holes in a deer. I hate messing up meat. I will use 120s for hogs and stay with Hornaday 110 BTHP for deer have had some great luck with very little to no damage to the meat. I am going to try some 90 gr gold dots this season to see what I get.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I agree Rob, I prefer 95gr TTSX for everything but hogs.

TLM didn't have very good success with 90gr gold dots on hogs, deer may be better.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm very impressed with SSA Tactical 110 Accubonds. No deer has ever gone further than ten yards after hit with one them. My longest 6.8 kill was a hair over 280 yards and the doe went about ten yards. Every other deer has gone three feet straight down.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
what about the new Sellers and Belot 115 gr FMJ? They are hot and accurate, since I assume they will not expand, very little meat damage.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank for deer a I think FMJ would be a through and through leading to a runner.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah everyone keep telling me that, they make good target practice and brass though.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Totally agree

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
midway has them in stock

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
loaded rounds and the BULLETS

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
what about the new Sellers and Belot 115 gr FMJ? They are hot and accurate, since I assume they will not expand, very little meat damage.
shooting round, not a game round

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh yeah the S&B, shot very well worked great for shooting, is pretty hot and stuck w the hunting rds ver well not underpowered like the Remington.

Compressorguy

Burleson Texas
Just re zeroed for 120 sst, and I had great groups at 100 yards with it. No field duty with it until this weekend, I switched after the vmax left me with a runner last weekend of buck season I never recovered. :(

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
For those with the 12.5 *** barrel, what velocities are you getting with the AA2200 and the 120SST?

After months of searching, I finally found a 12.5 *** barrel in stock and am gathering parts to build an upper for my SBR to upgrade my 300BLK for pigs. Picked up a set of Forster dies and have brass on the way, and am trying to find some AA2200.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you should get about what the factory loading out of a 16" barrel is. Check the 6.8 forum all the data is there under the 120SST post

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
For those with the 12.5 *** barrel, what velocities are you getting with the AA2200 and the 120SST?

After months of searching, I finally found a 12.5 *** barrel in stock and am gathering parts to build an upper for my SBR to upgrade my 300BLK for pigs. Picked up a set of Forster dies and have brass on the way, and am trying to find some AA2200.

Congrats on getting that barrel. You are gonna luv it. With factory loaded SST out of my 12.5" I've gotten one shot drt's on big hogs in the 225-250 yd range. Do you have a can for it?

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on getting that barrel. You are gonna luv it. With factory loaded SST out of my 12.5" I've gotten one shot drt's on big hogs in the 225-250 yd range. Do you have a can for it?

Got an older tank of a 30 caliber can for it (34 ounces) and waiting on a Form 3 to start the process with a SiencerCo Omega.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Are you guys getting better results with the SSTs when reloading? I've been using the Hornandy 120 sst factory loaded and the results have been on and off.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use factory and TLM reloads about 200 faster and I believe he has better success.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've only killed on deer and one hog with the factory 120SST. Both did great, but that's not a lot of testing. TLM prefers is hand load which is very hot so approach with caution. Once I start handloading it I'll have a better idea of what I like the best.