Hornady 120 SST for 6.8 SPC

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The Hornady 120 SST is my go to hog bullet. It is fairly priced compared to the accubond and TSX/TTSX. It really performs well on hogs by doing a lot of internal damage very quickly. On average it retains 85% or more of its weight after impact with hide, bone, and meat. In most of the rifles I have seen shoot the 120 SST it is an accurate bullet.

My go to load is federal once or multi fired brass trimmed 1.676
CCI 450 primers
27.4 grains of Accurate Arms 2200 powder
120 grain SSt
OAL 2.295 from case head to tip

If you load this bullet share your loads and experience with it.

Note: Always start loads 10% less than posted recipes and work up while looking for signs of pressure. You are responsible for your handoads and firearms. I am not liable for any accidents or injuries.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I need to get me some of these. Lots of good reports of 'em from the 6.8 crowd.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just like Afalex the 120 SST is my go to pig smacker, but has been know to take deer and yotes too. Is very accurate in both my 6.8's and great bullet for the price.

Here is the my load for my 7H 20.77"
Federal Brass trimmed to 1.676
Tula 5.56Mag primer
27.2 grains of AA2200
120 SST
OAL 2.300
Group Size .651" 3 shot@100yds
Avg. Velocity 2600 FPS

Load for my *** 16" Scout
SSA Brass trimmed to 1.676
CCI 41 primer
27.4 grains of AA2200
120 SST
OAL 2.290
Group Size .691" 3 shot@100yds
Avg Velocity 2481 FPS

Here is a exit wound of a 170lb sow, shot with my 7H and the 120 SST. You can see that the jacket separated from the core and had two exit wounds, was still a DRT but thought it was interesting. This was the only 120 that I have recovered anything, might have been a blem bullet who know but even if it was it still did the job. I only recovered the jacket and a couple pieces of the core in the shoulder bone.
120SST Exit 170 Sow.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for that Wassman... I've got a 16" Recon profile and a 16" SOCOM profile barrel (yet to build). I'll keep this in mind for my pair of ARPs.

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I am a big fan of this round too. It is my one and only deer and hog round with my 16 inch 6.8. I do prefer the 95 TTSX in my SBRs, which will be replaced by the 90 GDs since the cost is half, I have not tried the 120SSTs enough in the short barrels to really have any conclusive results.

For the price..$1 per round. It is in my opinion the best factory round out there.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Most of you know this has been my goto bullet for quite some time! I am interested in the gold dot 120gr depending on cost.

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
120 SST is all we feed our 6.8

This past WT season was my wife and daughters first, and both killed their first WT Bucks (total of 3) and all with a 6.8 using 120 SST's

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I am satisfied with the 85gr Barnes TSX so far. I swooped up a bunch of the Fed Fusion 115gr factory loads and will soon be giving them a try. All I know right now is that they are accurate.

I believe that the 120SST's over expand and even worse.....shed their jacket leaving soft lead to continue to either penetrate or frag. However.......no question as to...Do they kill ?? ....definately.....however....personally,I am looking for better "performance". --- pruhdlr

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I did get 10 bxs of the 115 Fusion and the 20 of the 90 GD to try as an alternative to the 17 bxs of Hornady 120 SST I have, we will see. My thoughts are all the 6.8 offerings are excellent selections and are all killers.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for the load data

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I shoot the 120 SST as well.
Hornady brass
27.4 gr 2200
Sub MOA to MOA in all 4 of my *** barreled rifles.
It is DRT in most cases even if I don't do my part

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
excellent

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had a ton of the hornady 110gr v-max and had great luck with them. I'm still trying to work on a better load. At 100 yards I'm getting a 2" group

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
27.3 gr RL-10x
SSA brass only
CCI-41 primer
2.295" OAL

As with all loads, start low and work up. This load shoots under .5 MOA in my 12.5" 6.8

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
very cool, thanks

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am under the impression that you are selling me all you can find between now and the meet and greet!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
have not shot a single one yet...lol have maybe 20 emptys now, look at that price will ya! 66.8 ea plus shipping! damn! Once I get my X-sight and maybe another scope for my rifle and get my truck back next week, I will get to the range.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I find that small primers work better, I have more consistency and better accuracy in the 6.8. I have 2500 SSA brass , so I'm good to go for awhile lol.