Hog Decoys

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have 2 of them now. I buy and sell anything and everything anytime anywhere. A little redneck I guess. Sold 6 of them this week.IMG_0002.JPG

DennisB

SUS VENATOR CLUB
You have a good eye, Ratdog! Actually it's double cardboard, with lots of flat black Krylon and a piece of baling wire holding it to a stob. Never really (yet) had any hogs drop by when it was out, even while playing the baby-pig-in-distress on the FoxPro. Coyotes, on the other hand, WILL come a-looking for a squealing pig...

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have 2 of them now. I buy and sell anything and everything anytime anywhere. A little redneck I guess. Sold 6 of them this week.View attachment 474
Fine lookin' evil little devils there. LOL
You have a good eye, Ratdog! Actually it's double cardboard, with lots of flat black Krylon and a piece of baling wire holding it to a stob. Never really (yet) had any hogs drop by when it was out, even while playing the baby-pig-in-distress on the FoxPro. Coyotes, on the other hand, WILL come a-looking for a squealing pig...
Sometimes a 'yote pelt is "more gooder" than just a cold butt. LOL

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Picture of those little fellas turned out kind of mean looking. Can't figure out why nobody wants to buy the last couple. haha

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't want to know what he does to make the pig squeal!

I do think a decoy, sprayed w hog scent would work, will have to get some made. It is more of a confidence factor for the hogs if they wind you or are nervous about coming in.

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I never used a decoy for a pig.
I have seen some inflatable pig toys, Arkansas Razorback, maybe... and thought about spray painting one flat block.

Something that will help is a crow decoy or two around the feeder.
Crows are one of natures alarms - you know how they flush and alarm loudly when you show up.
Other animals watch and listen to crows and if a crow is sitting around, they feel more at ease.

I have a friend that has one on his blind and he swears they make him invisible to other animals after they see the decoy.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you are talking hunting in daylight, nothing works better than a turkey decoy. Almost everybody has one or two. I use them bowhunting deer and it can make the difference in getting your deer or not.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good ideas guys, I had thought of turkey dekes and just leave them out there, even a deer deke.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was thinking today, (very frightening proposition) and had this idea for you all to Gufaww about. Cattle come to lights to see what's up and ask if you have any food. So if the cattle come to lights and the hogs are with the cattle. Why not lure the cattle to a light while you flank around and pick up the hogs while they follow the cattle? Who knows, might work.
I don't think very often but when I do it's about hogs!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just get a cow and put it on a string and pull it back and forth. You are either on to something or on something. haha

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I found 3 fat girls and because they are fat, there is nothing for them to do at night so have volunteered to sit in my feeder area and grunt to bring in the other hogs..Thanks guys!

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I found 3 fat girls and because they are fat, there is nothing for them to do at night so have volunteered to sit in my feeder area and grunt to bring in the other hogs..Thanks guys!
Frank, did you promise then some "sausage" for their efforts???? I imagine those grunts might work too....

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You bet, all the fried intestines they can eat, eye balls too!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am telling you, those and some hog scent and they will be coming in to you!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
yea I thought it would be a good thing to bring them around more during the day, probably at night too

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am still thinking I can cut 3-4 out of a sheet of plywood, paint black, attach to a piece of rebar, spray scent and stick in the ground much cheaper. All I am trying to do is give them confidence to come into the open quicker.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
How 'bout dis. -----> ?

When hunting and guiding for crows in Maine,I used to take a smallish black plastic balloon and inflate it to the approximate size of a crow. Then tie it to a small piece of welding rod stuck in the ground. It would move in the breeze and was an excellent decoy for the more wary crows.

Was wondering if this could be done for hogs using a black plastic trash bag. Seems that a bag of the 11-25gal variety would be good.(Do they make one?) You could trap air in it,tie it off,than tie it to a piece of stiff wire or re-rod.

Sounds kinda like a PITA.........HOWEVER........a cheap try. BTW,I have been using the canned scent spray shown in the above vid for some time now. Academy is the only place that I have found it. It comes in Sow In Heat and Dominant Boar. Both smell super strong. DON'T get any on you OR on your boots. It is tough to neutralize. I spray it ONLY on my dedicated scent/marking posts. The hogs cut,rub,and scent mark these posts. --- pruhdlr

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Fill those bags with oxygen and acetylene so when the hogs come close you can shoot the bag and get the whole sounder.