Hog Decoys

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I keep wanting someone to make me 3-4 80-120lbs size hog decoys to try under my feeder or in my plots. Plywood? what material? Has anyone tried this or seen cheap dekes like the deer hunters have?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've never tried it Frank. Guess it could work maybe in conjunction with a call?

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You should set number 1000 out there and see if it works

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah a call or dinner bell. The hogs have been rolling my barrels around with the bells on them and I have a spare to go in the blind w me...so why not?

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am going to try that when I put out pig sticks. I have 4 big cow bells

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If they are made out of Twix, I know what hunter you will get!

Did some checking online for some of the commercial hog decoys. Can't tell that they work or not, but the concept seems quite interesting. I like the idea that some decoys are made where they are well balanced on a post and tip back and forth some like they are eating. I think movement would be good. The vids I saw all shows sounders moving in on decoys at feeders. Does that mean the decoys or were the sounders just going to the feeders anyway and the decoys simply didn't scare away the sounders?

With that said, if pigs are so smart and can tell what is what via smell and have good visual recognition capabilities, then I am not sure that decoys are going to be that helpful.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was going to spray hog scent on them and the dekes are just to keep them calm coming in and not be nervous. I was thinking plywood, heads down and screwed to a metal fence post and stuck in the ground painted black. The Kit Kats can be at the top of the post.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I used some decoys last night seemed to work pretty good. Started with none but before it was over I had a whole dozen decoys with scent!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah but they don't last long, I was looking for sustained use...LOL

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I heard some sow scent was available to harvest from the hood of a rig one night. M'be a blow-up with some lip stick on it?

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I think the sow in heat on that hood might be a little past its expiration date.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ratdog; You sir are still a sick puppy.

And? Yer point is? LOL

I think the sow in heat on that hood might be a little past its expiration date.

Don'tcha just hate it when you open the carton and take a big ol' swig of milk... and it globs heavier than cottage cheese?

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I don't think decoys would work for sheet. Strong smells and the promise of food would be much better, IMO.

I hate milk to begin with, and then the veiled reference made to curdled milk and...well... THAT.... wheeew.... too much for me!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wheeeeeee !!!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Get yourself a female potbelly pig, they are cheap. Put it in a small cage and harass it enough to squeel once in a while.