Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ihop! I love it, going to ask her!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well that did not go over well, she has a knee scooter so is there a place called Scooters?

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Well, there's one that rhymes at the Crestview exit of I-10, but I don't know if that would work out for you either.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
lol, yeah they are everywhere, have one in Destin too, I just need the $ to buy my thermal!

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
The unit looks out of focus bad, send it back to flir they will make it good. I have a ms224/ps24 that has one bad pixel only visible under certain temps but its focus is better then the replacement flir sent me so I kept the one with one bad pixel. Here is pic of the 240 x 180 ps24 19mm lens, hay bale to left of reticle is 100yds.,
The image on the right is the LS64 640x512 35mm lens.

Ps24Screencap_zpsaa7711cd.jpg
Ls64ScreenCap_zps0ed549c5.jpg

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
that is more like it

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
those are good views

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The unit looks out of focus bad,...

Ya think?

send it back to flir they will make it good.

Yeah, it will be returned. However, it isn't like FLIR is making 200K of these units a day. FLIR apparently doesn't pay return shipping.

Looking at FLIR's own pics from the unit online, such as the quad set here...
http://www.nightvisionguys.com/flir-thermosight-rs32-9x-thermal-night-vision-rifle-scope
the low left image is from the same unit. The image doesn't look any better...and that is their promo pic from several sites, not just from the night vision guys.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Also remember fellas that digital zoom is not your friend! This 320x240 core is basically a 240x180 by pressing the zoom button once. So then you pay more for the 640x320 system, now we're cooking. Wait, hit the zoom button and its a 320x240. Just something to think about.

One thing I really don't like about FLIR products is that they have a sealed battery. I can't change it in the field!

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
I had two units replaced by FLIR , they next day air shipped the replacement to me and provided FEDEX account number for return shipping.

Jeanie Mello 805 690 6716 FLIR commercial Systems this is who I spoke with.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cool, and disturbing. Small sample and a lot of returned units.

One thing I really don't like about FLIR products is that they have a sealed battery. I can't change it in the field!

One thing I don't like about so many of the other units is that they use batteries with such short run-times. FLIR is longer than most people will need. It is a trade-off. You get a longer run time without the need for having to carry spare batteries. Glenn Guess doesn't like to use rechargeable batteries and so has the expense of a lot of 1-time use batteries. I prefer rechargeable batteries, but I have to be sure to get them on the charger and Glenn doesn't. So there again is another sort of power management tradeoff. Then there are the folks who are running external battery packs, which means wires and something to carry. Another tradeoff.

We all manage our systems in the manner that best suits our preferences and needs. We also tend to buy products that cater to our needs, though some buy products to which they have to cater.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I will take the first one cheap enough for me to afford...LOL

DFWRoadkill

SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have to believe the 2.25 unit has to be defective. I'm sure we will know soon. There was another issue wherein the reticle was not correcting when you magnified the image, but I think they are correcting that with a softare update. You have to wonder how something like that gets past the early stages...

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
But with FLIR you have no choice on the batteries. With other thermals at least you can choose to run rechargeable, Lithium or cheap batteries.

You are right. You don't have a choice, but then again you don't have to do the battery fumble in the dark either. There are tradeoffs for everything. Most people using said units won't have an issue with battery life on a given hunt.

I am glad you mentioned "choice," however. Like I said, we all have our likes and dislikes and see aspects of products to be advantageous or not. I understand that you don't like that type of battery setup and that is fine for you. If there was a product that met everyone's wants, needs, price point, etc., then we would all own it, but there isn't. Just looking at the gear everyone posts on using in the field, I can see that we make a wide variety of decisions that are based largely on our preferences of what we think will work for us in the field, price points, carrying capacity, and a whole other myriad of factors.

It's all good.