FLIR RS32 320x240, 2.25x, 35mm Brief Review

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A buddy of brought one of these. Don't think he will keep it.

He brought it out (NIB) and we set up handwarmers at various distances out to nearly 200 yards and then also just used it to look around a general features in the immediate area (not much animal activity where we were last night). I brought along my FLIR PS32 (320x240 also, 1x, smaller lens) spotter for comparison. Both are a fixed focus setup which has worked very well in the PS32 for me. ACOGs have fixed focus and the concept works great on them as well. I had considered this unit for purchase because of my experience with the PS32 (which I really like still after 1.5 years and hundreds of hours of use). It is a 320x240 low magnification rifle scope at a fairly reasonable price of $4500. It isn't at the bottom of the scale of the RS offerings.

The fixed focus is not a great concept on the RS32, of which only 2 units seem to offer focus in the RS line. You can focus the diopter which focusses the internal display and so you can see the lines of the display, reticle etc. very sharply, but the imagery was absolutely terrible. I wanted to focus the scope to refine the image, but there is no way to do this. When I compared it against my PS32, the image of the PS32 was actually clearer than the RS32. What???

So the RS32 is 2.25x optical magnification. To be honest, it looked like poor digital magnification. The PS32 will digitally magnify to 2x and the image was still better than the 2.25x RS32 optical image.

There was some benefit to the optical magnification of the RS32. It was able to see the handwarmer better at 100 and <200 yards than the PS32, but only slightly better. Especially at 200 yards, you had to know the handwarmer was there and about where to look with the PS32 to see it. Strangely, however, you could see the fence and brush behind the fence better with the PS32 at <200 yards than you could with the RS32.

Well maybe using the digital zoom will help. OMG! What a difference that made. The image on the RS32 went from POOR to UNBELIEVABLY HORRIBLE. When you digitally zoom an image, the pixilation of the original image simply blossom so that you get bigger pixels. Some firmware smooths this and I assume that is going on in the FLIR, but that just meant that what would be blocky edges were then rounded off fuzzy edges and so actually being able to determine what was an actual edge versus fuzzy outline edge (which may not be the same) was problematic.

Movement was smooth. At 60 hz, the image movement in the RS32 was fine, for blurry, blobular images. The PS32 is all of 7 hz and the image is a bit jerky, but is clearer.

Aside from the distance testing with the handwarmers, we looked around at the trees, creek, buildings, vehicles, each other, etc. and found the RS32 to be awful.

Bottom lines? I love my PS32 at (now) $3000, it is a very reasonable thermal spotting optic. You can buy better units for more money, but for the distances I deal with (usually less than 200 yards), it has been terrific. The RS32? It isn't what I would consider to be good enough to be a spotting scope. I certainly would not want to hunt with it. You could, but actual target identification (not detection or recognition, but actual identification) could prove to be exceptionally challenging even inside 200 yards.

I know all this sounds terribly harsh and unkind, but I was expecting much more out of the RS32 FLIR based on my positive experience with the PS32 and the RS32 simply didn't even compare well with the PS32 which should have been the poorer performer.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am just not a fan of the FLIR units, there is much better and lower price point out there.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
From what people have shared, personally I do not know, the higher end you go people are happy but the less expensive that seem not to get as good a review. Just thought I would mess w FLIR owner...LOL

Last edited:

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks Brian

Did he say what he was going to try next?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, I haven't found any thermals that are better at comparable prices for this end of the scale because there don't seem to be any other thermals at this end of the scale right now at these prices, save for the bizarre SPI 14x, which I think has been discussed a couple of times previously on LSB as being something of a joke.

I am anxiously awaiting IR Defenses offerings, however. They still use some FLIR internals, but the scopes seem a whole lot more interesting, but they too have missed their proclaimed product release date.

Here is me at 50 yards, 2.25x through the RS32.
FLIR RS32  50 yards 1x.JPG

The dot to the left of me in the image is the handwarmer. Back off to the right side at shoulder level is the one at about 95 yards or so. The break between dark and light across the back of the image is the fence line with brush immediately on the other side of the fence. My legs are so short because 1) they are short and 2) because I am in tall grass (hay field). The image here is taken from a download to a UNV MDVR and so is degraded some. You should be able to read the green number in the low right as 1.0 more clearly as you could do through the scope. That is the amount of digital magnification applied. There should be a green horizontal line for the + reticle, but for some reason it didn't make it to video. It was visible in the scope. Anyway, while these images are not perfect representations of what was seen in the scope, they aren't too far off.

So let's say I was your target and I am at 50 yards and you wanted to more precisely aim at me and so you ramped up the zoom to 4.0 which gives you an effective magnification of 9x (2.25 optical x 4 digital = pixelated 9x magnification)

FLIR RS32 50 yards 9x zoom.JPG

Notice the amount of distortion/pixilation. Look at the handwarmer. If I was the target, going to full zoom would NOT benefit aiming. In fact, it just made determining my features that much harder.

DFWRoadkill

SUS VENATOR CLUB
Isn't that FLIR supposed to take a special cable for recording that they aren't delivering yet? :)

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
wow, that is incredibly bad

are they not focusable at all?

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
was what you saw in the viewfinder as bad and more importantly the same as the above images?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
As noted above, only 2 of the RS series of scopes have focus. The rest are fixed focus like the PS32 which I find works very well. There is NO focus for the objective.

Here is the data from FLIR...
http://www.flir.com/thermoSightR-Series/
See the specifications chart which is down on the 2nd page.

Was the image through the viewfinder as bad? Please go back and reread what I posted. Everything is explained.

Last edited:

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
W1000 kills it and is almost the same price now tell your friend to send it back and I'll get him a w1000.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Ident Marking

Rockwall, Texas
Vendor

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Damn, If I could rent my wife out on the weekends in a year I could almost pay for it now!! I wish she had not gone and broken her foot 2 weeks ago, she would have been worth more!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Damn, does that mean I can charge more??

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Frank, maybe she could get a job at IHOP now? :D