Batteries for the W1000

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
THIS IS NOT MY TEST I COPIED THIS FROM HERE http://forum.snipershide.com/sniper...heon-w1000-9-battery-performance-testing.html

Folks,

For those of you that own W1000-9 systems, I've tested the following batteries**:

- Energizer Advanced Lithium 9v batteries (x6) [Done; see below]
- Utilitech 9v Premium Alkaline batteries (x6) [Done; see below]
- Engergizer Alkaline batteries (X6)
- Duracell [Copper Top] Alkaline batteries (X6)[Done; see below]
- Duracell Procell Alkaline batteries (X6) [Done; see below]
- Maha PowerEx MHR9VI IMEDION 9v batteries (x6) [Rechargeable] [Done; Tested 5 recharge cycles.]
- Ansmann Energy 8.4v NiMH 250mAh [Rechargables]* (x6)[Done; Same results are the Maha, ~4 hours]
- iPowerUS Professional 9v 520mAh batteries (9.6v)(x6) [Rechargeable] [Done; see below]
- Maximal Power 9-Volt Li-ion 550mAh Batteries (8.4v) (x6) [Rechargeable] [Done; see below]

The PowerEx is a low discharge 9.6v NiMH rechargeable battery that delivers 230mAh.

The iPowerUS Pro 9v is a 9.6v Li-ion battery that is supposed to deliver 520mAh, and is rechargeable.

The Maximal Power 9v is a 8.4v Li-ion battery that is supposed to deliver 550mAh, and is rechargeable.

Best disposable battery:

The Energizer Advanced Lithium is the best battery set so far.

However, for Energizer disposable lithiums to be cost effective, they need to run for about 15 hours; Energizer lithiums batteries run for about 10.5 hours. At 3 times the cost of most Alkaline batteries, they do not deliver 3 times the performance.

Best rechargable option:

THE BEST RECHARGEABLE BATTERY IS A TIE...

If you like rechargable batteries, both the iPowerUS 9.6v Li-ion 520mAh and Maximal Power 8.4v Li-ion 550mAh units are clear winners; these batteries are superior to Alkaline batteries, and are rate for 1000 charges. They last ~7-7.5 hours, well exceeding any alkaline battery or NiMH battery tested so far.

(As a side line: it's important to note that the voltage is not the important factor in the testing of these batteries. The single most important issue is the ability to MAINTAIN energy drain (aka current) over time. The Li-ion type battery are superior in this. It doesn't appear to matter if they are 9.6v or 8.4v, they still run the sight for at least 7 hours.)

Testing procedure:

The batteries where tested using an iPhone adapter attached to the W1000-9, and it takes a time lapsed picture every 1 minute. When complete, the tester goes to the point there is no picture, divides by 60, and the number of hours the device ran is known.

Note on cost effectiveness:

I spent a fair amount of money testing all of these batteries. It's important to note that, with the exception of General Purpose 9 volt batteries, ALL of the batteries tested were able to run the sight on ONE 9 volt battery.

However, even with the cash I spent on the test batteries, I'm STILL saving money over the cost of purchasing even cheap disposable alkaline batteries!

This is an except from a post below:

"1000 uses of a W1000-9 with Alkaline batteries would be 6000 9 volt batteries(!).

1000 charges of the iPowerUS batteries would use 6 batteries. Assuming that you only get 75% of what the manufacture claims, you STILL only went through 6 batteries. (The manufacture indicates they will last 1000 charges.)

6000 Duracell ProCell batteries times $1.74 each is $10440.00!

Even the worst case senario, where the iPowerUS li-ion recharable batteries only recharge for 750 times, the comprative cost of the Duracell ProCells would STILL be $7830.00!

At those numbers, even the ~4 hours of use you get out of the PowerEx IMEDION True 9.6 NiMH, they become a great deal, since they cost about $90.00 if you shop around and get the 10 battery charger."

The only aspect of rechargeable batteries that is an issue is convience. Even the li-ion batteries take 1 hour to recharge...

GB

* These were sent to me by mistake and I opened them prior to noticing they were not what I ordered in a different packaging. They appear to NOT be low self discharge NiMH.

** Final runtime numbers:

- NiMH low-self discharge -> ~3.8-4 hours
- Alkaline -> ~5 hours
- Rechargeable Li-ion -> ~7-7.5 hours
- Disposable Li-ion -> ~10 hours

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I ordered the maximal power batteries and charger off eBay last night will report on how they do. So far I've only had to change the batteries in my w1000 once but I'm not using it to spot only to shoot.

1956_4x4

Crestview, Florida
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So, how did things work out with your eBay batteries and charger?

Smitty

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So, how did things work out with your eBay batteries and charger?

Smitty

I love them that's all I use and they are half the weight of normal 9volts!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Each charger I have does two batteries, I bought several.

1956_4x4

Crestview, Florida
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks. I need to jump on the rechargeable wagon for these batteries. The cost of the regular batteries adds up pretty quick. Have you heard of a source for a spare battery pack?

Smitty

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The ones TLM are using are the best price and the charges are pretty cheap, did you get 2 sets of batteries to rotate?

1956_4x4

Crestview, Florida
LoneStarBoars Supporter
12 batteries and two of the 4-battery chargers for now. I'd like to get a spare pack for the W1000, since I'm not looking forward to swapping the 9Vs in the dark. I'd rather pop one battery pack out and slide a fully charged one in.

Smitty

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There you go, that would be perfect, tell your dealer to secure one for you!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
if you want me to do some searching in all my free time send me to info you have on it

1956_4x4

Crestview, Florida
LoneStarBoars Supporter
P/N 3138507-2
NSN 6135-27-008-6873
9V BATARYA KASETI

It holds six 9V batteries (three on each side)

Good luck on the search...I have found nothing.

Smitty

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Unless you are leaving it on all night I doubt you will ever run out of battery. I have hunted several weekends in a row without charging. But mine is only turned on for a few min at a time. You know the scope will run off just one 9v battery right? So if you get out somewhere and do not have 6 replacements you are still operational.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you are right, w a no longer manufactured sight and you know an outsourced battery holder, only a W-1000 dealer or parts supplier may have one. Then again an unrepairable W-1000 may be the only way to acquire one.

1956_4x4

Crestview, Florida
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's another reason I'd like to get a spare. One of the most likely problems with this thing will probably be the battery pack. I'm careful with it, but things happen. If it's hard to find now, think what it will be like in a few years...

I had no idea the unit would run off one battery. Good info!

Smitty

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good idea to get as many little parts as possible even to the point of buying a scrap one

1956_4x4

Crestview, Florida
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I talked with Jason at Ident and he's fixing me up with a spare cassette for the 9v batteries. He also gave me info on Bren-Tronics BT-70747BE battery. I already have the charger for the battery and he pointed me to the correct adapter for the charger. So, now a battery and adapter for my charger are on order too.

Apart from being broke now, I'm a happy camper!

Smitty

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There you go, now to get some hunting done w it! I guess it is ready for me to borrow during the week?

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Honestly the whole 9v battery thing is what has kept me away from the W1000.

I would like a better core, but dang it has a great lens on it