Feral Hog Poison

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They shoulda kept it in the house! Your dog gets in the road it gets run over. Same thing!

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hard-ware my experience with hog hunters is they are all fired up to hunt and "you don't have a thing to worry about cause we will take care of your hogs" but they show up on weekends maybe twice a month if you are lucky. The other thing is hogs don't live in fields. The more dense the brush the more they like it. No one wants to crawl on their hands and knees to push them out and I don't blame them. Then you have the guys you have never seen show up and say that one of your hunters said it would be fine of they hunted your place without your permission. Ask what that cost them. Talk about a turnoff. Yep, there's 10,000 hog hunters but they all have a job, family responsibilities and other distractions but the hogs don't care. They just keep screwing and having more babies if it rains, shines or your kids birthday party.

The door swings both ways. No one has the correct answer for every situation.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Gents,

Call this number 800-835-5832. They are taking a tally of who is for or against the hog poison. The Ag Commisioner's office is referring people here.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Hard-ware my experience with hog hunters is they are all fired up to hunt and "you don't have a thing to worry about cause we will take care of your hogs" but they show up on weekends maybe twice a month if you are lucky. The other thing is hogs don't live in fields. The more dense the brush the more they like it. No one wants to crawl on their hands and knees to push them out and I don't blame them. Then you have the guys you have never seen show up and say that one of your hunters said it would be fine of they hunted your place without your permission. Ask what that cost them. Talk about a turnoff. Yep, there's 10,000 hog hunters but they all have a job, family responsibilities and other distractions but the hogs don't care. They just keep screwing and having more babies if it rains, shines or your kids birthday party.

The door swings both ways. No one has the correct answer for every situation.

I agree that happens seen it myself.
That's why a single group can't always put the pressure on them. But several groups working together, calling the hog doggers to flush them out , or as long as they are in the thick brush no damage to fields . They gotta come out sometime. Farmer would circle the fields in his truck each morning and evening to lay down fresh tracks and note any tracks on top of his tire tracks and give me a call as to where tracks are. Then just a matter of time. Sure enough they were taken care of . Farmer liked not having the damage but never thought they would actually be gone. This was 3 yrs ago and still no issues. So they can be knocked out of an area but be careful what you wish for cuz it gets boring after having that much fun. Then nothing month after month turning into yr after yr, one hog here and there . Nothing like a sounder of 30+ in a open field to get the blood pumping, standing on the tracks where they entered the field. When you starting shooting with good suppressors guess where they run?yep the same place they came from so shoot them or get run over :eek:. All this is just starting so no telling where it leads. But the more successful shooters are at eradicating them the more farmers will use them.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Farmer liked not having the damage but never thought they would actually be gone. This was 3 yrs ago and still no issues. So they can be knocked out of an area but be careful what you wish for cuz it gets boring after having that much fun. Then nothing month after month turning into yr after yr, one hog here and there .

Yep same thing I have run into. Cleared them off large stretches of land in a short time just hunting on the weekends. Start out 40-50 a night but then it dwindles.. I have two properties they keep coming back on but not in the numbers like at first. One is the property were we shot over a thousand in just a few weekends, and trapped over 2000 in four months. Now you will find a new sounder that comes in about once a month or so. He actually called me last week because he saw some damage for the first time in months. But that property is the anomaly I have many others that were overrun and now two years later still nothing but the random boar that shows up on a deer feeder camera. I'm actually looking for new farms right now just cleared out the one I had been hitting for the last 3-4 months.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This poison crap has put me in a bad mood for a few days now I'm going to forget about it for a few days now.

Hard_ware

This poison crap has put me in a bad mood for a few days now I'm going to forget about it for a few days now.

Keep up with getting rid of hogs and the word spreads. If farmer or rancher wants to pay for poison and deal with the carcasses and feeders that's what they have their mind set on. Others will say call this guy he got rid of my hog problem.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Keep up with getting rid of hogs and the word spreads. If farmer or rancher wants to pay for poison and deal with the carcasses and feeders that's what they have their mind set on. Others will say call this guy he got rid of my hog problem.

Oh yea that's the only way I keep geting kills is with new properties. I am not worried about this poison stuff wiping the hogs out. I am worried about the unintended consiquences.

Hard_ware

Delirious hogs on the roadway looking at the pretty lights. Then the blue fat splattered all over the car and roadway.
So many unintended consequences are possible. But some things have to be learned the hard way. Pigs may smell it and learn to stay away like mentioned in previous post. They are pretty smart compared to other critters I have hunted.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Here is what Australia said about it!

16938737_1448347065216206_6358450165451667467_n.jpg

D

djones

australia sound like a great place to live. have you considered moving there?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well we made the Drudge Report...but you have to subscribe to SA News to read the rest......
  • e-edition
  • One-Day Pass
  • Subscribe
  • Local Business

Texas hunters want to put the kibosh on ag commissioner’s ‘feral hog apocalypse’
    By Lynn Brezosky, San Antonio Express-News

February 22, 2017 Updated: February 22, 2017 11:17pm

920x1240.jpg

Photo: Texas A&M University Research & Extension Center

Feral hogs eat corn at a deer feeder near Overton. State Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller has approved use of “Kaput Feral Hog Lure” to cut down on the state’s feral hog population. The pesticide’s key ingredient is warfarin.
    State Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller’s call for a “feral hog apocalypse” has hunters across Texas up in arms about what they see as a poison being unleashed against a perfectly good source of barbecue meat.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
  • Texas hunters want to put the kibosh on ag commissioner’s ‘feral hog apocalypse’

This is why I have not done any of the radio or tv interviews. I think this is being labeled a hunters vs farmers thing. I'm not even worried about it effecting my hog hunting anymore. Im worried about how it will effect everything else. I think the hogs will adapt better than the other animals.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I saw that, just a terrible way to state the issue, it is not hunters against farmers at all.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think the hogs will adapt better than the other animals.

Hogs are among the most adaptable vertebrates on the planet, successfully living on 6 out of 7 of the above sea level continents and thriving on all 6. The 7th, Antarctica, has no domestic or feral hog populations.

Hogs live in most terrestrial habitats from the taiga to the tropics, wetlands to deserts, mountains to prairies. Except for the extremes of heat, cold and desert, so long as they have food and water, they can and will survive.

Warfarin will never be implemented in a manner that will be sufficient to wipe out the hogs.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is very true Brain, never will be widespread enough but to cover a farm or 2 it is used on.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Agreed

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This is a quote from the article...I guess 2500 signatures does make an impact regardless of opinions by those who think it does not..

“The stand that we take is we do not believe adding a poison into the environment is the correct answer to this,” said Scott Dover of the Texas Hog Hunters Association, a statewide group that by Tuesday night, just hours after Miller’s announcement, had close to 2,500 signatures of people opposing the pesticide.

“You’ve got to look at the potential down the food chain, so to speak,” Dover said. “The hog ingests that poison and goes off to somewhere else. Then you’ve got your scavenger animals, coyotes, buzzards, anything else that comes in there and eats on that animal that could potentially be contaminated with that warfarin product as well. And it may not take nearly as much to kill a coyote or a buzzard as it would the hog.”

Hogwash, Miller said of the hunters’ concerns.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How soon some forget, how DDT use put the Bald Eagle on the endangered species list.