Dove season is approaching!

dhwave

Dang FrankT....you used to hunt near the area I grew up. Lived in San Benito Texas, which is about 35 miles south. We would hunt near Rio Hondo every year, lots of fun and lots of doves.
I grew up in Harlingen, dove hunted all over the valley till the 90's. I have not had a real good "dove" hunt since, those where the good days. I used to think I was a good shot with the shotgun but it turns out it was probably just target rich :D

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Best dove hunt I ever went on was a few years ago just outside of Port Mansfield. Like dhwave said it was a target rich hunt.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I miss my mom's 410 auto, should have never sold that gun!

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
If anyone is interested in the public hunting opportunities on State property in the Rio Grande Valley, TPWD's Las Palomas WMA will have a booth at the Hunters and Sportsman's Expo in McAllen this weekend with maps and information available along with goodies for the kids. The WMA staff will be there the entire time. I will be there to help them Saturday and Sunday.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I did a quail hunt at black gap WMA it was a great trip ill do a write up soon.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
When I was 16 or 17 a bunch of Oil Field friends were standing talking to Dad, I was about 20 yds away and shot a triple with it, 3 shots, 3 birds of a triple flying...They all saw it, I don't think my Dad was ever a more proud parent...LOL I also believe that was the last day I shot that gun and sold it in 2000 when I was moving to FL...damn stupid move! I think the 410 and dad's auto 20 were both Remington.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
When I was 16 or 17 a bunch of Oil Field friends were standing talking to Dad, I was about 20 yds away and shot a triple with it, 3 shots, 3 birds of a triple flying...They all saw it, I don't think my Dad was ever a more proud parent...LOL I also believe that was the last day I shot that gun and sold it in 2000 when I was moving to FL...damn stupid move! I think the 410 and dad's auto 20 were both Remington.

Wow! That's hard enough to do with a 20 or 12 as it is, let alone a 410. Good shooting.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am sure unless there were 100 birds in the air all crowded up I could never do it again...LOL, just sad we all have to get old!

Arnold Galvan

Mckinney, Texas
The Valley was always target rich during the 80's and 90's. Haven't hunted down there since I moved to the Dallas area. Visited family several times, but it's not the same.

dhwave

My grandfather bought me an over and under skb 20 gauge when I was born. Later when I was shooting it he apologized that he couldn't find a 12 gauge at the time he was shopping for one. I laughed at him and said no need I'm faster on the birds with the lighter weight and just as accurate (maybe I was maybe I wasn't) he laughed and gave me that smile I didn't really know about till after I became a father. Only shotgun I have ever used on dove probably the only one I ever will use. will post a pic later...

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My grandfather bought me an over and under skb 20 gauge when I was born. Later when I was shooting it he apologized that he couldn't find a 12 gauge at the time he was shopping for one. I laughed at him and said no need I'm faster on the birds with the lighter weight and just as accurate (maybe I was maybe I wasn't) he laughed and gave me that smile I didn't really know about till after I became a father. Only shotgun I have ever used on dove probably the only one I ever will use. will post a pic later...

I love this story! Im anxiously awaiting our first born and being able to pass down traditions!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
After the bow hunting video I'm kinda ashamed to put this video up here. But this is me testing my gopro out on some doves. They were few and far between the last few years but I managed to limit out every day. The music may be a little hard for some but when I originally posted it on youtube it was the only song I could find where they didn't block it. The original video is super great HD it never looks as good after uploading.

here is the link enjoy.

Simple Man

LSB Member
Vendor
I havent hunted Dove in 10 yrs. I've tried to find a feild the last two to take my pup but to no avail. I used to drive 2 minutes from here but the farmer has been just doing soybean in those fields forever. Its a love of mine I miss. Nothing like a busy day wing shooting. Also want to try out my M37 Ithaca corncob I stole at an auction. I always wanted one but with kids couldnt afford one till I found it. I called Ithaca to run the # on it and its a tru-blue 1947 model. A "real"Ithaca.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I havent hunted Dove in 10 yrs. I've tried to find a feild the last two to take my pup but to no avail. I used to drive 2 minutes from here but the farmer has been just doing soybean in those fields forever. Its a love of mine I miss. Nothing like a busy day wing shooting. Also want to try out my M37 Ithaca corncob I stole at an auction. I always wanted one but with kids couldnt afford one till I found it. I called Ithaca to run the # on it and its a tru-blue 1947 model. A "real"Ithaca.

Love a great find like that! There has not been much hunting in my spot for the last four years but I refuse to miss opening day! This year they are looking very plentiful!