Dove season is approaching!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Opening day for most of Texas is Sunday September 1st! I have not missed a opening day since the 4th grade. This is a Texas tradition I thoroughly enjoy. I plan on passing this tradition down to my children. Although dove hunting is more a social gathering than a hunting trip!

If you find a 2013 forecast share it!
What shotgun do you prefer?
What shot do you use 7 1/2 or 8 shot?
Whats your best dove recipe?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well... my only bird gun is a Winchester 1500 XTR 12ga. with a modified choke... but, I can't quite get there from here with it.

Never ate a dove... but, I'm up for sumpin' new.

Win1500001.jpg

Last edited:

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well... my only bird gun is a Winchester 1500 XTR 12ga. with a modified choke... but, I can't quite get there from here with it.

Never ate a dove... but, I'm up for sumpin' new.

I still use my old Kmart special winchester ranger shotgun! Had it since the 4th grade I've used it so long I don't even remember looking at the sights when I shoot, its just a reflex now.

Dove can be ok to downright good depending on who's doing the fixing and the recipe! Opening weekend I hunt with a group of guys I grew up with. One of their family's owns a large chunk of land just outside Chilicothe Tx.

They throw a wild game cook out the last night. The menu includes dove, deer, quail, turkey, hogs, and duck! Its always a grand time!

Zstingray

I have a friend who scheduled her wedding to be able to honeymoon on the first day of dove season. Now that's a keeper. I shoot a Browning BPS with 8 shot just to pisss off my friends who insist on spending big bucks on shotguns.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I love dove season! And quail season! I chase both with a Browning Citori 20ga, only have had the gun a year, still need to go shoot some clays and practice a bit. Can't find much in the way of 20ga shells here though, and not sure I am ready to drop the coin to gear up to reload them...

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I so miss quail season it was my favorite. Fire ants hurt them bad them the hogs have pretty much decimated them.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
In case some of you are unaware, the special white-winged dove zone in Texas has been greatly expanded. follow this link http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/season/migratory_game/dove_hunt_zones/ for a map of the new zones for Texas. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE BAG LIMIT FOR MOURNING DOVE DURING THE SPECIAL WHITE-WING DOVE SEASON HAS CHANGED FROM 4 TO 2. You can go to this link: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/season/animal_listing/ to see this year's season dates for all game species, dove included.

FYI, the bag limits changed because the Feds required it, not because TPWD wanted it to change.

If anyone is looking for a place to hunt, TPWD leases and owns land that the public can use, all that is required is a hunting license and a $48 Annual Public Hunting Permit. See the link for more details: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I remember hunting w my Dad back in the 60's, They would darken the sky coming back and forth across the Rio Grande, we hunted around McAllen, Dad was with Sun Oil and we got on all the Oil Company leases free...those were the days! In the 70's we hunted in Mexico and filled up the beds of pickup trucks, wow . Then went to So America twice and shot dove, pigeons and ducks at 10-12 different places

Since coming to FL in 2000 I have not had a good dove hunt, I run a Rem 1187 in 20ga and have 3 or 4 12ga pumps and autos I never get to use. Converted the mossberg into a HD weapon and #4 and 00 Buck w a 20" barrel and pistol grip just for the fun of it.

I do miss my Dove and Quail hunting!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I use a Weatherby Orion 20 ga over and under with 7 1/2 or 8 shot (depends on what walmart has in the value packs).

I hunt the same pecan orchards we hog hunt in. The orchards are some of the largest stands of trees in the area so the dove flock to them to roost in the evening. Sometimes I can't reload fast enough! It is a good warm up for the fun to come in the fall and winter.

dhwave

Opening day for most of Texas is Sunday September 1st! I have not missed a opening day since the 4th grade. This is a Texas tradition I thoroughly enjoy. I plan on passing this tradition down to my children. Although dove hunting is more a social gathering than a hunting trip!

If you find a 2013 forecast share it!
What shotgun do you prefer?
What shot do you use 7 1/2 or 8 shot?
Whats your best dove recipe?
/quote]

Agree I grew up hunting south Texas doves we used opening season as an excuse for the yearly family reunion. Hunt in the mourning, bullshit and BBQ all day, hunt in the evening and get drunk, repeat next day... such good memories.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't know how to embed
Bow Hunting For Doves! Must Watch!!!
He's a very good instinctive shot with a bow. His TV show is called "Relentless Pursuit" and it comes on the outdoor or sportsman channel.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now, that's just plumb amazing !!!

JamesB74

LSB Member
Picked up a Browning gold hunter in 20g for this season a while back. Will see how it does.

I like to hunt over near pk lake and Graham.

My favorite way to cook dove is completely de bone the breast. Soak it in a Balsamic vinegar marinade then wrap them in fresh bacon with a slice fresh jalapeño and grill them. They are fantastic!!!

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
JamesB we may be sharing some of the same birds. We Have a place between Graford and the Lake. Usually good hunting. Use your basic recipe but have never tried the Balsamic. How long do you marinade?

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That is amazing. Tom Wells is an animal with a bow. I think he was born with one in his hand. I have enough trouble hitting them with a scatter gun. Besides, you have to be sponsored or rich to waste that many arrows. Even with flu flu's attached they are hard to find.

Arnold Galvan

Mckinney, Texas
I remember hunting w my Dad back in the 60's, They would darken the sky coming back and forth across the Rio Grande, we hunted around McAllen, Dad was with Sun Oil and we got on all the Oil Company leases free...those were the days! In the 70's we hunted in Mexico and filled up the beds of pickup trucks, wow . Then went to So America twice and shot dove, pigeons and ducks at 10-12 different places

Since coming to FL in 2000 I have not had a good dove hunt, I run a Rem 1187 in 20ga and have 3 or 4 12ga pumps and autos I never get to use. Converted the mossberg into a HD weapon and #4 and 00 Buck w a 20" barrel and pistol grip just for the fun of it.

I do miss my Dove and Quail hunting!

Dang FrankT....you used to hunt near the area I grew up. Lived in San Benito Texas, which is about 35 miles south. We would hunt near Rio Hondo every year, lots of fun and lots of doves.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was born in McAllen, we live at Garcia a Sun Oil Camp w office and housing for employees and families. My first dove hunt I was 1 and in a stroller, first time I missed I was in VietNam, That all was a great hunting area and the supply Cos would lease land for us to hunt free. Of course I was allowed to hunt on all Sun Oil well Lease land and had a mater key, those were the good old days. After I came back i was w Western and HOMCO for a few years till I left the Oil business, hate that I did!