Buy Once, Cry Once Thermal Monocular

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am just glad I am cheap and have not bought yet, this year? Maybe

JPK

LSB Active Member
Historically, clip ones that are properly collimated run about $1k more than a similar resolution, similar lens scope. Plus they make a rig heavy. Those characteristics have always argued for a dedicated scope plus spotter to me. (I have a predator hunting bud who loves military grade clip ops. He is 20yrs younger and 30lbs lighter but bitches about his rig's weight, compared to my rig's weight, after a night of walking.)

And I like the KISS idea of a dedicated spotter and dedicated (but QD) scope. However, the new Q14 appeals to me as a potentially great spotter with the ability to weapon mount. Like my Patrol, before I FU and sold it.

JPK

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
JPK, I am certainly wanting to hear more on the new Q14..what is a Patrol cost and do they have a new one too?

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
But jpk the old q14 was a good spotter and could be weapon mounted. How many guys did you see here using one? The new one has a better core and is smaller......and is a grand cheaper. I'm not arguing it's not going to be great but if you still had your patrol or if a guy already has a 640 scanner I don't see the q14b as being a must add, especially at 1x if you hunt open country.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Frank,

Iirc, a Patrol lists for $6,500 and IR Defense does not have a new one out. But IR D has had the best view through their thermals since their 12 micron 640 core came out, three years ago.

Taco, I don't disagree, but for a guy looking to equip himself now with thermal's now the 12 micron 640 Q14 at $4k is very attractive, and at $2k so is the 320 version.

JPK