Buy Once, Cry Once Thermal Monocular

darrohn801

LSB Member
This forum has been awesome, nice to see so many knowledgeable people here and I appreciate all the help and onions so far!

I am looking for a "scanner" thermal now. My budget is $2,500 - $5,000. I currently have 1 armasight zeus 640 x 42 that I love now that I am figuring it out and mounted to my gun. I am now looking for feedback on what to get for my scanner. I am willing to put up the money if it makes that much more of a difference and curious on what everyone thinks. Below are some of my thoughts, feel free to chime in on anything below.

1 - My main goal is "detection" and I don't mind switching to the scope if I have to in order to positive id. That being said would a Pulsar 19a or HD38S suffice or what MM lens do you feel is best for scanning? I hunt in Utah and cold temps so I'm leaning towards an OLED screen.

2 - Field of view more important for scanning? Any scopes with a good FOV and a good zoom?

3 - I like hunting with buddies would it be just as beneficial to get two decent $2,500 monoculars so we could have two sets of eyes scanning instead of one awesome $5,000 monocular?

4 - Helmet mountable important? How many of you really use a helmet mountable device or is it easier just to hold up to your eye?

5- Worth it to get something that can be used as a scope like the IR reap that I could mount to a gun if I want?

Anything else to consider when purchasing the scanner? Like I said I hope to get as much feeedback from anyone willing to contribute so I can make the right purchase once.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The new Q-14 from Flir/ Armasight the TLM showed us in the SHOT thread

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have a hd38a and it's a real nice scanner. You'd be real happy with the 38s.

I wouldn't worry about helmet mounting a thermal scanner. It's fine around your neck.

My $.02 on buying a scanner for a buddy to use.....unless they are experienced I don't like it. They're always misidentifying things and wasting time. If you're hunting out in the open with a 38s you're going to find animals quickly you probably don't need 2 people scanning. I don't. I'd maybe get another scope.

The reap would smash your budget. I'd say if you didn't already have a 42mm Zeus then go for it....but you already have a nice 640 scope. Lots of guys kill lots of hogs with the hd19. You going to a 38 will be even better.

Last edited:

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The new Q-14 from Flir/ Armasight the TLM showed us in the SHOT thread
I would still go with the prometheus unless you just want the smallest thermal you can get. Q14 advantages smaller helmet mountable, prometheus larger lense and focus ring for best possible image.

darrohn801

LSB Member
I have a hd38a and it's a real nice scanner. You'd be real happy with the 38s.

I wouldn't worry about helmet mounting a thermal scanner. It's fine around your neck.

My $.02 on buying a scanner for a buddy to use.....unless they are experienced I don't like it. They're always misidentifying things and wasting time. If you're hunting out in the open with a 38s you're going to find animals quickly you probably don't need 2 people scanning. I don't. I'd maybe get another scope.

The reap would smash your budget. I'd say if you didn't already have a 42mm Zeus then go for it....but you already have a nice 640 scope. Lots of guys kill lots of hogs with the hd19. You going to a 38 will be even better.
I'm actually thinking of crushing the budget and going with the patrol m300w. Thoughts on this one?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lots of new offerings at SHOT for this year, wait a month to see the gear and prices

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm actually thinking of crushing the budget and going with the patrol m300w. Thoughts on this one?

Never used one. If you buy the Reap-ir you'll have an awesome scanner and a scope a bit "better" than your Zeus 42mm. You'll have an awesome 640 res arsenal.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Some thermals are coming out with built in recorders, the new one are cheaper than some old ones...meaning whatever is in stock now should be priced well below just to get rid of them

darrohn801

LSB Member
Lots of new offerings at SHOT for this year, wait a month to see the gear and prices
Wait a month? But I'm impatient now! ha ha good point. I was considering waiting for the new pulsar trail stuff but they said possibly until August? Way toooo long! :)

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My money is too valuable to me to get in a rush to spend it, but then I am older and more patient.

darrohn801

LSB Member
My money is too valuable to me to get in a rush to spend it, but then I am older and more patient.

Good point, I'm younger and not so wise yet. :) I may also be in a hurry because I have to send my Zeus back to armasight for some pixel repair so I can't go a couple of weeks without thermal!

Your honest opinion and I recognize it's only an opinion, but price wise for something like the patrol you think it would be effected a lot? Like Thousands of dollars or hundreds of dollars we talking here?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would not give what the dealers will try to discount but with the prices coming down on the new ones the older should drop by a third or more, maybe the people upgrading will be more reasonable. Opinion of course and take for what it is worth, I would sure want to see the new gear and prices before committing.

darrohn801

LSB Member
I would not give what the dealers will try to discount but with the prices coming down on the new ones the older should drop by a third or more, maybe the people upgrading will be more reasonable. Opinion of course and take for what it is worth, I would sure want to see the new gear and prices before committing.
Why do you always have to be so wise and reasonable? Kidding, Kidding. I agree. I'm kicking myself for not going to the SHOT show this year to see everything that is coming down the pipeline.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was going to go but Todd would not pay for it.

JPK

LSB Active Member
The Patrol is a fantastic scanner and a great scope if you get the weapon mountable version with the UNV/DLOC weapon mount.

It is a bit of a pita to sight in as a scope, but once done will hold its zero when mounted/unmounted repeatedly.

According to the UNV rep (Rich, a member here) the IR Defense products still have the best image compared to all of the non military units introduced (with actual working examples) at the SHOT show lens size for lens size, x2 allowance for competitors.

Whether IR Defense prices drop as a result of new competitor offerings is yet to be seen, but I doubt they will.

I had a Patrol and sold it. That was a big mistake and I regret it every time I hunt.

JPK