I hate zombie pigs!

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Out driving around about 2 hours ago looking for swine to kill and on my last stop I spot a large boar at a feeder. I get to within about 75 yards and set the gun on my shoooting sticks and put the laser behind his ear. First shot landed with a loud thud but he took off. Fired a second shot heard the thud, but he is still motoring away from me. Fired a third shot and missed. Shortly after the third shot he went into the brush and I heard a loud crash. Figuring he bit the dust after that crash I approach the spot he was on the first shot and not a single drop of blood. No blood anywhere!

I spent an hour walking around in circles trying to find him but no luck. Looks like I am just gonna have to wait till morning to find his stinky butt.

Why cant these pigs be good sports and just die quickly.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Possibly,just possibly,could a heart/lung shot have produced better results ?? Was this an eradication hunt or a meat hunt ?? Which chambering and bullet were you using ?? How large do you figure the hog was ??

I hear conversation all the time re. "Put it in his ear and ANYTHING will kill hogs". Yep.....while I agree with this,my comeback is usually....."use enough gun,the proper bullet and shot placement,and except for the hog being on the edge of a cliff...you will recover him. This,especially in the more open areas that you guys hunt over in Texas.

I have tried a single head/neck shot on a hog. About a month ago I had a bigger hog come out into the front side of a 1A plot. He was 50yds from me and was in no hurry to leave. I was in a shooting house with a perfect rest(bench and bags). I put the crosshairs of my thermal halfway between his ear and his shoulder blade. He was DRT. Gun was 6.8SPC,bullet was a 85gr Barnes TSX at >3100fps. This is the only NON heart/lung shot,or square on the shoulder shot,that I have ever taken.

The above is my opinion ONLY. I am not being critical of your methods shot placement,or weaponry. --- pruhdlr

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They are hogs. I have killed a dozen elk with my 270 as well as countless deer and antelope etc... I have dropped a pile of hogs in their tracks but have lost a bunch of them also. So I went out and spent money I didn't really have and bought a 45-70. Most of my shots are under 60-80 yds. I was tired of trying to find them in the thick thick river bottom I hunt. Last three I shot...found them days later after the buzzards gave them away. Unbelievable how tough they can be. A few months ago I shot a big sow on the run, dumped her, rolled and squealed, so I try to pick out another when I see her get up and start running again, boom, dump her again. Down and out, same thing, gets up again running, boom another shot. I am like what the heck is going on, that's impossible. So I go looking for her, in the neighbors tank. I get permission and go to get her, with just my Ruger 22 single action revolver just in case. Well, she comes up out of the water after me, her guts are hanging out, her entire side is blown out and she charges me. Well, single action revolvers suck when you are being charged, after missing with the first 5 shots and almost shooting myself in the foot twice, I managed to get the last shot into her head and kill her. The neighbor lady just shook her head and drove off. Pretty fun stuff, but dropping them in their tracks sometimes is the best remedy. So in the end, I had one shot in the chest, one was far back in the guts and one of them went through her head high on the snout and she still charged. Tough critters.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have hit hogs with 3 shots from my 458 socom and seen them run off. I put 2 in the side of a hog with 300gr TTSX only to lose the hog completely. 3 days go by and nothing. Doesn't matter what you use, if they don't die it doesn't mean they eventually will from your shots. I have found that a head shot with a nice solid usually does the truck every time. Guess it's all luck of the shot

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I guess that is part of the allure of them. There are animals that you shoot them and they die. Then there are wild hogs....

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had a batch of Lehigh match solids loaded a while back, I hit a hog perfectly in the side of the head, it ran off and didn't die for 3 days. We checked and checked and finally right on the trail we found it 3 days later still bleeding. He was out but not quite dead. Shot it with the .45 to finish it

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm amazed they can get up after multiple hits from something as stout as a .45-70 (or a SOCOM). I'd love to whack one with my Guide Gun and watch the results.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am loading up some lighter loads for my 458 win mag just to see how they work

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
While I was aiming for behind the ear that doesn't mean I actually hit him there. This hogs was pretty good sized 200lbs+. I believe I may have missed my target and got a shoulder shot on the first round. I know for a fact that my second shot landed in his mid section.

I walked around for an hour this morning looking and still no blood. My theory is that he was probably wallowing around in a nearby mud hole and was so caked up that he wouldn't bleed.

Oh well. My first lost hog in like a year. I had a good run going.

Gun was 12.5" 6.8mm with federal 90 gr. gold dots.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Allow me to state also that I have killed numerous hogs(nothing >170lbs)with my Benelli MR1 chambered in 223Rem. Shooting a 55gr Barnes TSX,my shots with this gun are always <75yds. I put the bullet either square on the shoulder or lower to get both lungs and the top of the heart. I had one go 30yds about 6 months ago. The rest have died within 20yds.

I have several 45-70's,and shooting a Cast Performance 405gr WFNGC in a 16" Marlin 1895,have absolutely hammered some of the larger hogs. One was 300lbs. This hog was hit square on the shoulder and it managed to recover from the initial bullet contact after being pushed sideways about 5 feet, he staggered 20yds before falling over dead.

After the above reports I'm thinking of sticking with my 223 over my 45-70 ...OR...458Lott. Are the hogs in Texas Zombies ?? And wondering.....if you put a proper hit(or 2) on a hog with a 45-70 or a SOCOM and he runs off......what chambering do you move up to ??? --- pruhdlr

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's not often I get a hog that will run off from a socom shot but it happens. I can say I have only had 1 run off from a 6.8 shot. Most will usually drop within 30 yards or so. I do have my 358 now so I'll be testing that on hogs. Should be interesting

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
May I please ask........is this the necked up 308Win,358Win...or others. The line of 358 sized bullets have a good track record as a proven killer of some of the toughest of critters.

What speed can you launch what weight bullet at. This could "podssibly" take the place of my wanting a 338Fed upper. Hmmmmmm ??? --- pruhdlr

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm actually doing 2. I am building a 358 Winchester ar-10, just waiting for my barrel. I have the 358 mgp from over on the 6.8 forums. It's a necked up 6.8. Not sure in speeds yet. I am going to start testing when I get my dies

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just went and checked and it's shooting 200gr bullets right around 2100fps

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
358MGP ?? Will study up on that one. That would be my choice between the two. I have 2 complete Spikes lowers(5.56 size)that I could use,same bolt face as a 6.8,a 200 @ 2100 ain't no slouch(my ranges would be closer anyway)some great bullets,etc. Where do the dies come from...Redding ?? How many steps in the neck-up ??

Wish you lived closer............. --- pruhdlr

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You have to neck to 30 then go to 358. He has his dies cut from hornady. If you search "bear whacker" on the 6.8 forums you will find him

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The problem I am having is that 20-30 yd recovery is too far. Where I hunt, if you don't drop them in their tracks, it is very difficult to recover. I shot a raccoon out of a tree at 10' the other night and went to grab him and never found him, super thick, giant ragweed and vines. Most shots are rushed a bit and head shots are usually not an option. Most targets are on the move or on small trails. Now my job is to get rid of the hogs for the guy, but it is nice to recover some for the meat and others for pics.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Most hogs I shoot drop DRT with the center neck right on the front crease of the shoulder shot. That said I've had hogs run off from 45/70, .308, 30-06, 6.8, .44mag, 12 gauge slug and 00buck, .223. They are just tough creatures. To get them to bleed you have to make a pretty big hole or they seal up and bleed internally.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I still want to try my 50 against a hog