Heli Hog Hunt

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think the gopro is perfect shoot it in high settings and crop latter if needed.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think there are better cameras. The issue lies in the mounting of said cameras and durability. The go pro is rugged and easy to use so it is the go to. I've seen pictures of guys with what look like Sony handheld recorders mounted to the left and right side of the rifle while doing this. A camera with the capability to zoom, 1080p or higher res, and 60Hz speed would be way better than the go pro. I just used what I had available.

If I get to go again I plan to pick up a better camera and machine a mount to put it on the right side of the rifle forward of the brass catcher. I will have to pick TLM'S brain about what camera will perform at a decent price.

Sorry, didn't realize it was your gear, Alex. I wasn't meaning to be critical of your choice. GoPro does appear to be the standard. That, and when I checked into helihunting sometime back, packages included the cameras so that shooters could record their hunts.

I have trouble believing that GoPro simply hasn't put out a camera without the wide angle view. I know they have made their $$ on skateboards, motorbikes, surfboards, etc. where the action is very intense and very short range, but a lot of action happens a bit further out.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There are adapter kits for the gopro's to use other lenses for what you're talking about, but I've yet to see one that wasn't so pricey that the gopro itself didn't end up being the cheap part.
Back-Bone - M12, CS and C-Mount lenses on your GoPro!

Also if the camera is moving around a lot, the wider FOV makes it much less stomach turning than is zoomed in.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Alex,

Congrats on a great hunt
If you were paying, what are the rates.
And the name of the outfitter, and can you use all your own gear.

thx

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Brian,

No offense taken. Sorry if my reply seemed that way.

Oso,

I think Torry Pines makes some adapters for go pros, but you have to buy the adapter and then another lense to go on it. I agree 100%. Not cost effective.

Shooter,

Levan Aviation doesn't focus on hog eradication. They only do it for fun a couple times a year on a couple of places. It is a vacation thing for the company. I just happened to get invited.

If I hear about them wanting to book more hunts I will pass on the information on this site so everyone knows.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Shooters were on the same side the entire time. One in front one in back on the left side of the helo.
Man Alex how cool was that! What was an amazing time. I guess you will need to recharge your adrenaline after that adventure!!!!! Awsome. I think there will be several envious members and I am one. Since I could not do this due to my back living vicariously through you will do.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks like a lot of fun! Felt like I was watching first person shooter video game. Happy Hunting!