Heli Hog Hunt

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I got to participate in hog eradication from a helicopter near Corpus Christi a few weeks ago. There were 8 shooters and we rotated turns throughout the day. I ended up with about 35 minutes of flight time, but my dvr failed around the 6 minute mark of flight and I didn't get a single kill shot on video from the helo. I used an Ir Hunter MKII 19mm 1.5x 640 scope from ******************* and was hitting a good number of hogs with it from the helo. Too bad my SD card popped out.

All of this video was recorded with a go pro attached to a rifle RotorJoe was shooting. There are always two shooters in the video but the second shooter isn't always me. It was a hell of a good time and I can't wait to do it again.

Special thanks to Levan Aviation and the Circle C Ranch

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Did'ja slay much piggage on yer side? Pile of fun there.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That looked like way too much fun. Did ya'll get a total dead count?

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Fun, fun, fun
Bacon, Bacon, Bacon
Add em to the hog counter

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way cool glad you all got to do that!! And a GOOD ON YA!!! BANG BANG!!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Did'ja slay much piggage on yer side? Pile of fun there.

Shooters were on the same side the entire time. One in front one in back on the left side of the helo.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Shooters were on the same side the entire time. One in front one in back on the left side of the helo.
Okay... the same doorway has two sides (left/right)... my point was, did'ja slay bunches from your side.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Would love to do that! Too pricey for me so I will stick to the videos, that was great.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Okay... the same doorway has two sides (left/right)... my point was, did'ja slay bunches from your side.

I guess my Ratdogese is a little off today. Yes, slayed bunches. I counted 12 that dropped in sight from my shots. The brush was thick in some areas and more may have died out of sight. It's hard to keep count there is so much going on.

I'm one of those extremely fortunate people who has a good friend who hooked me up. The cost is too high for me too, but I got handed a golden egg on this one. I'm not meaning to brag. I feel extrordinarily lucky to have done this. I have very generous friends!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
New pilot or the first time pig hunting?? Too bad about your video, that would suck on a heli hunt,

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It was the first all of us but 2 shot hogs from a helo. The pilot has over 5000 hours in everything from Robison r22 to bell 407 and bigger. Mr. Levan is a very skilled and safe pilot.

RotorJoe is a newer pilot, but very safe too. Besides the helo hunt I got to backseat during 4 hours of flight training with RotorJoe as the instructor. That was almost as cool as the hog eradication. We did numerous auto rotations, quick stops, max power take offs, steep/shallow/normal landongs, 180 auto rotations, and basic close traffic patterns. It was more fun in 2 days then I have had in my life!

I got bit by the rotary wing bug. I want to FLY! I have to figure out a way to pay for the lessons before or right after I retire from the AF.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I guess my Ratdogese is a little off today. Yes, slayed bunches. I counted 12 that dropped in sight from my shots. The brush was thick in some areas and more may have died out of sight. It's hard to keep count there is so much going on.

I'm one of those extremely fortunate people who has a good friend who hooked me up. The cost is too high for me too, but I got handed a golden egg on this one. I'm not meaning to brag. I feel extrordinarily lucky to have done this. I have very generous friends!
Sweet! Glad you got in a good share of killing from above.

Yeah, that's a huge bonus... I'd be tickled to shoot some pigs... let alone with the cool optics... or from a fling-wing! Congrats there.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I guess the reason I asked is that most hog pilots get you much closer shots and try to drive the hog out of the brush and if they cannot they seldom hunt that thick an area. Remember I am only a huge fan and watcher of these heli hog videos and no experience. The only choppers I was in were in Vietnam, we did not try to get too close and people were shooting back at us...lol

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
congrats & good for you!... lucky!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Helicopter flying is the most fun you can have with your pants on.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I guess the reason I asked is that most hog pilots get you much closer shots and try to drive the hog out of the brush and if they cannot they seldom hunt that thick an area. Remember I am only a huge fan and watcher of these heli hog videos and no experience. The only choppers I was in were in Vietnam, we did not try to get too close and people were shooting back at us...lol

The hogs wouldn't run from the brush. They would sprint into the thicker stuff as much as they could and then stand still. They have been hunted from a helo a few times and have figured out running doesn't work too well. The first couple flights of the day they ran. After that they would hold tight.

In most of the video the hips aren't much more than 75 yards away. The go pro makes everything look further away then they are. I had it set to the narrow view seeing and it so looks that way. It's the nature of the wide angle lense

Also, the entire flight is a large risk being over the trees and near power lines. Lots of potential dangers. You don't rack up 5000+ hours in piston engine helicopters by putting yourself and passengers at more risk than necessary.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like a fun weekend!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Sounds like a great weekend!!!

There really needs to be better cameras for this sort of action than GoPro.

I think there are better cameras. The issue lies in the mounting of said cameras and durability. The go pro is rugged and easy to use so it is the go to. I've seen pictures of guys with what look like Sony handheld recorders mounted to the left and right side of the rifle while doing this. A camera with the capability to zoom, 1080p or higher res, and 60Hz speed would be way better than the go pro. I just used what I had available.

If I get to go again I plan to pick up a better camera and machine a mount to put it on the right side of the rifle forward of the brass catcher. I will have to pick TLM'S brain about what camera will perform at a decent price.