First hunt with the CMMG Anvil 458 Socom

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well the 5 wild cows are all dead. They would not let us get within 200 yds so my buddy did most of the killing. I just took a few coupe de gras shots. 458socom to the the forehead does wonders. I did take a few 200yd shots and there were some massive exit wounds I could fit 3 fingers through. Did not recover any bullets. Did not take a pics, too busy trying to get 5 1800lb plus cows dressed out. Smallest dressed to 951lbs hanging weight, largest 1500lbs hanging. Estimated we handled 12000lbs of beef yesterday. Luckily the butcher came out and finished dressing for the locker or we would still be out there. The wife made me throw away my clothes.

Wild cows.... OK where do you go in TX for wild cows?

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I can tell you though, do not shoot this without hearing protection. I will be investing in some good electronic muffs. I wanted to be able to communicate so did not put in plugs. Ears took 5 hours to come out of the tunnel. They are still ringing today.
Every time you hear ringing you have lost some hearing. Ask me how I know. Google Phonak.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I can tell you though, do not shoot this without hearing protection. I will be investing in some good electronic muffs. I wanted to be able to communicate so did not put in plugs. Ears took 5 hours to come out of the tunnel. They are still ringing today.
What do you have for a muzzle device on that beast? I wonder if a linear comp would be more hearing friendly?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Every time you hear ringing you have lost some hearing. Ask me how I know. Google Phonak.
Amen to 'dat brudda !!! I've had tinnitus since logging 100K miles on my bike w/o wearing ear plugs. I got the custom molded plugs too late. It wasn't the pipes' noise that did it to me... it was the wind noise while wearing a half-helmet.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I should say semi wild. They were older beef cows that have had almost zero human interaction in the past 5 years. Been running on 50 acres when not busting down fences to go where the grass is greener. We tried to stalk up on them but ran out of cover at 204yds. I tried to skirt to another berry brier but they busted me and took off. Oh yes I know all about the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Had it for years. I am using a tromix Fishgill comp. I will have to check to see if they have a linear for the 458. May be worth it. Still the lower frequency compression seems to hurt more longer.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use the Bowers Verse 458 suppressor, quiet and much less muzzle climb.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I should have put my lane on it. Next time it will be quieter.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
WOW the "Thumper" was a massive killing machine. Had no idea at 200 yds they were so effective. Great video. Hog were tearing up that farmers field.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Using 300gn ttsx there is only a 12 inch drop at 200yds. Put a 300gn slug into a cns shot and they drop like a brick. Put it into the boiler room and it liquefies things.

Couple of those cows had very little left of their lungs. Just chunks.