First hunt with the CMMG Anvil 458 Socom

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Tried something a little different here showed a little more of the hunt than just the part where the hogs show up let me know what you think.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome, awesome, awesome!

Makes me kinda sick to watch. I can't even begin to tell you how bad my cabin graver is right now.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice change up of a hunt's cycle of events. Just something sweet about the hammer-whack of a .458.

dman62

LSB Member
Great video. That .458 is a hammer! I've had one for quite a while but never gotten it out hunting. Fun to shoot and always a conversation starter at the range.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I really enjoyed that video style Todd, felt like I was right there with you start to finish. Can't wait to see some more .458 testing too, looks like it hammered them.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The most professional intros are so impressive and the video was great to watch...had my attention the whole time! Great job!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good video! Definitely felt like I was in the woods ... good hogs down. That 458 is a hammer.

D

djones

i liked it, but would like it more if you had chased them down hanging out the window smacking them with the 'hamma'

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They can tear stuff up!! That 458 can smack the snot of them!! BANG BANG!!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i liked it, but would like it more if you had chased them down hanging out the window smacking them with the 'hamma'
Man I thought my truck was going to burn down after driving out there carefully. Hammer down chasing them it would have for sure with all that stuff getting caught in there.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Love the bang thwack of the 458socom. Have to go kill some wild cows on Monday. The 458 will be perfect for that....

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So great to see this. My buddy that was out a couple weeks ago is talking about one of these after so many ran off with multi 308 hits. Any negatives so far?

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well the 5 wild cows are all dead. They would not let us get within 200 yds so my buddy did most of the killing. I just took a few coupe de gras shots. 458socom to the the forehead does wonders. I did take a few 200yd shots and there were some massive exit wounds I could fit 3 fingers through. Did not recover any bullets. Did not take a pics, too busy trying to get 5 1800lb plus cows dressed out. Smallest dressed to 951lbs hanging weight, largest 1500lbs hanging. Estimated we handled 12000lbs of beef yesterday. Luckily the butcher came out and finished dressing for the locker or we would still be out there. The wife made me throw away my clothes.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'll bet that was a sight to behold!! That's a PILE of warm beef !!! I'm jealous!! Congrats!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So great to see this. My buddy that was out a couple weeks ago is talking about one of these after so many ran off with multi 308 hits. Any negatives so far?

Negatives are muzzle climb and limited magazine capacity.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Browning a bolt 30-06 and an ar10. His son was carrying the 10 and never got off a shot. He emptied 2 mags on his a bolt then half a mag on the ar10. Lots of lead flying. We went back out there today to finish cleaning up. Just the pike if heads was incredible. Now we need to set up for some yokes on the gut piles.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Negatives are muzzle climb and limited magazine capacity.
Yes, muzzle climb was very distracting. Could not verify shot placement. And since I have never shot 200yds with the 458socom it was very difficult. I know I hit the cow I am processing. Took a shot and she jumped straight up. Other than the bang thump I did not know what adjustments needed to be made.

Last edited:

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I can tell you though, do not shoot this without hearing protection. I will be investing in some good electronic muffs. I wanted to be able to communicate so did not put in plugs. Ears took 5 hours to come out of the tunnel. They are still ringing today.