Drones, not just for .gov surveillance anymore

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
uploading now, says 106 minutes to upload, uploading in 4K, files is almost 4gb...that's just upload time, then it needs to process etc., see you back in a few hours lol

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wish I had one this morning. Started a stalk, (first hunt in a looong time) in the dark, river bottom was so thick with the heavy rain, hard to see 20 ' away. Finally after an hour or more and soaked with sweat come across a meadow, hog walking to me at 60 yds. She sees me about the time I see her, quick head on shot, but I felt myself flinch, too long since last shot I guess, hit her in shoulder instead of head. Weeds so tall no recovery, looked and looked but nothing.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There you go dave that is the same camera I'm using much better than the lilly.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Some differences though. The Lily is for those that never flew, so it is specialized, just for simplicity, don't have to learn much.

The problem with the DJI's, the bit rate, a gopro will record better, but realistically you'd never know unless flying low and fast.

My original comments in the other thread and why I was being sarcastic, a cell phone doesn't really fly a drone, it is just an interface for the app. You still need a controller.

Granted I can put the drone, using the app, in a beginner mode that will take off and hover by itself, but still going through the controller. And I can hit a button to return home and land.

At my previous lease it wasn't conducive to flying, the new lease is awesome. Will be going out in a couple weeks, will have some good video, hopefully, from above, of hogs at the feeders.

Are you using the Phantom?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It would be great to have a drone operator and a separate shooter and film the shots from above, that would be a unique perspective,

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Plan on doing that Dan if the drone doesn't spook the hogs. But the problem is, you would have to fly the drone high not to spook the hogs, which would make it hard to see the action.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Im not sure it would spook them that bad, they have little danger from above.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I have the follow me feature on my drone, tried it once, sure some may have a good use for it, can think of a few, but I don't use it. Others can also get apps that do it.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Would it be a terrible idea to go with the chroma as a first drone? I want something ready to go with a camera. Don't own a go pro. Start out in safe mode and slowly progress? I have lots of open space where I live in rural north Texas.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've not tried shooting in 4k just because of the file size.

I shoot 4k just so I have the ability to zoom in if needed. With a fast computer and a high speed connection its not bad at all.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
The dine
Would it be a terrible idea to go with the chroma as a first drone? I want something ready to go with a camera. Don't own a go pro. Start out in safe mode and slowly progress? I have lots of open space where I live in rural north Texas.

The Drones are easy to fly. Buyk a flight simulator that comes with a controller and program for your computer and practice. Haven't looked in a long time, they were really cheap, so probably really good and really cheap to buy.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I shoot 4k just so I have the ability to zoom in if needed. With a fast computer and a high speed connection its not bad at all.
I'll have to give it a try. I'm usually shooting 1080 at 60fps if only because of the speed I'm moving. With 4k I can only get 30fps

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Yea there are limitations, however in most cases not that noticeable unless you don't do well coordinated turns like me, I always turn and rotate the camera too fast, but I've slowed down the gimbal to compensate on the camera.
The dine

The Drones are easy to fly. Buyk a flight simulator that comes with a controller and program for your computer and practice. Haven't looked in a long time, they were really cheap, so probably really good and really cheap to buy.

Also could go with something like the AR Drone to use an iPhone with wifi, however it only does 720p for their better model and I don't consider it much of a drone because its limitations. Figure in the sense of wifi, all RC stuff is wireless, but have to consider what you can do with it and how far you can reach. I would recommend something like the DJI Phantom 3 which does 1080p, or Phantom 3 Pro that does 4k. It has a true controller and much more versatility and functionality. Also, it is much better to fly with a flat surface like cement, it isn't the take offs that are a problem, it's the landings need to be flat or you can flip easy. Best to stick with something with a true controller, others I avoid comment as being a drone as noted previously.

Or if you really need to do some videography, pre-order a Freefly Alta, has a 15 pound payload capacity, but still more costs after the initial cost of $9k,

Galveston340

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Watched that one yesterday Dave! Some pretty expensive malfunctions on some to say the least. Here is the video I mentioned from over at S&F that the guy shot of the boat races a few weekends ago. Keep an eye out for the nut pulling the guy on the kneeboard with the snowmobile...on the water!!

Last edited:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I used to have a Sanger pickle fork with a 502 V8, crazy loud and fast. That looks like fun times there!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Watched that one yesterday Dave! Some pretty expensive malfunctions on some to say the least. Here is the video I mentioned from over at S&F that the guy shot of the boat races a few weekends ago. Keep an eye out for the nut pulling the guy on the kneeboard with the snowmobile...on the water!!

Good video. The problem with the snowmobile is the speed it needs to maintain, bit fast to knee board behind lol

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Went and watched a group of guys trying to go shore to shore on a small lake with snowmobiles. It was summer, and many sank. More money than brains, if you ask me. Entertaining though.