Wildcat

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So out of curiosity and boredom i was looking around at dies and brass. and with all the great minds around here i figured i would ask. i found a fired piece of 22-250 brass in the pile of range brass i picked up. has anyone necked it up to a 270? basically a 6.8 out of a 22-250 case? might make an interesting bolt gun or a fun AR-10?

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
By comparing my 6.8 and 22-250 cases I believe that you would p/u another 100fps or so in velocity over the 6.8 velocities. The case capacity would be a little more.

I believe that even more interesting would be the 22-250 case reformed into a .......6.8-22-250 AI(Ackley Improved). This would basically be a 40deg shoulder and a .277" mouth. With this I suspect there would be ANOTHER 100fps velocity gain. However with this you are pretty much back to 270Win. (Howz 'bout simply a 6.8 AI ???)

With BOTH a caliber resize(neck-up) and a shoulder angle change there could be a problem though. And.....I would default back to something that was stated by a gun writer. "Every chambering that you would ever need to kill anything that walks the face of the earth was invented BEFORE 1950".

BUT.....almost every caliber has been Ackley Improved. Most are great...especially the 30-30AI which is my wife's absolute favorite deer/hog gun. In the AR action a 223AI is a great performer for varmints. And in the larger action AR's the 308AI would be great(IOM). --- pruhdlr

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A wildcat that would be very similar to the 270-250 would be the 270 Savage. It was developed in 1940's and boasts velocity's approaching 3100fps out of a model 99 savage with a 100gr bullet. Based on the 300 savage case. Also consider a 270-308? Me thinks there is no end to this dilemma.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, it could go on and on forever. Mainly because any casing can be resized to something else and made to work

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I do love my .22-250 ! Killed many-a-caribou with that puppy.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a box of 22-250 brass but no more 22-250 so I was either going to trade it or find a use for it. That's what got me thinking

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ok so the more i look at everything out there, like H's 270AR, the more i think i want a 270-250. i can get more brass easily, H said he can make the barrel. i wouldn't need any special dies if i just kept it as a necked up 22-250. this could be a fun one

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah, i thought of that after i posted. might stay close with fire forming. might have to make a casing and send it to lee or hornady and see what i can get made

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A .270 chamber reamer might open up the neck in .22-250 resize die, then replace expander ball with one for 270. Then again depending on material die is made from (hardness). You know a 7mm-250 might be a good choice, oh wait, 7mm08 is already available.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah. I don't think it would take much to get it made. Defiantly something to look into when I finish all my other projects

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i just use lee dies mostly. im the crazy one that likes to disagree with most everyone else. i have used hornady, RCBS, Lyman and lee. only ones i have ever had good luck with are lee. all the others have major issues or break on me.

coondog

LSB Member
The reason I ask is because you can take a 6.5 Grendel bushing die. Use a bushing for a 6mm and make 6mmAR ammo. The case is the same just a different size neck. You could probably do the same thing with the 22-250 bushing type die. you would have to open up the hole in the die where the bushing sets for the larger neck. But that is not a big deal.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Might not be too hard to one it up. My hope is lee will start taking custom orders soon

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Sounds like a 270 redding to me, which is a shortened 308 necked to 270, or a blown out 22-250 necked up.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I would suggest that one of the many AI's(Ackley Improved) would fit into what is needed. I have several and all work super.

NOW......how about a 6.8AI ?? You just might get another 100-150fps out of it. I do with the 30-30AI,and the 223AI will come fairly close to the 22-250 using the lighter bullets. Hmmmmmmmm .....???