Used PVS-14

Jake

Bandera, Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Okay guys here's the scoop. I was only in the research stage learning about Pvs14s. I just happened upon a used unmarked PVS14 in a little gun shop. The shop has a new NAIT gen 3 pvs 14 that I was able to compare it to side by side to. The image was just as sharp if not sharper and just as bright as the NAIT. I believe it is autogated since it whined and darkened down when I flipped on the ir flashlight. The shop wanted $1100 and the unit included skull crusher, j arm, picatinny mount, pelican case, cheap ir flashlight, and lasermax uni-ir.
Here's the catch: the manual gain is inoperable and there are dark translucent streaks across middle of image with a couple of ink spots. The housing and lenses are mint. I was very hesitant after reading all the warnings online about buying used night vision but I had to pull the trigger. I felt it was a good deal as I see just the housings are worth around $700. The moon was pretty bright last night so walking around with it was amazing, I could even see into deep shadows. The blems didn't really bother me. I'm hoping the blems are image burn, I have it turned on and tucked away in the case to see if it helps. I'll know tonight after 24hrs. The uni-ir works great. Since I'm going to only be using it in rural areas for hogs I'm not sure if I need a working gain. The autogating seems to tone down the image nicely when I turned on ir or looked towards the moon. What do yall think, good deal or dumb move?

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
get it

JPK

LSB Active Member
I don't have a lot of time behind a PVS 14, but one thought I have had is that manual gain is not anywhere near essential. I have played with the manual gain, but always end up turning the gain back to max.

I think you did well.

JPK

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I keep mine turned down, but for the price you can probably get it repaired.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
You got a good deal.
If you get one with no blems later on, you can use that one for a loner.
But for now you are in the night hog capable group :)

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good deal! It may have a 10160 tube in it with no manual gain. If you get it and decide to have it checked out cleaned/serviced, I'll do it free of charge.
You can't beat that with a stick!

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow thanks Delta4-3 that is real nice of you, I might take you up on that. Thanks for the replies guys. I felt it had to be a good deal I just wasn't sure since I don't know much about them.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like a good deal to me, plus even if the tube craps out you can always get another. You can go to another blem or step up to near MIL tube.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well last night was the first night out with the pvs 14. I am blown away! These things are really amazing. The streaks in the tube didn't bother me at all. My hunting buddy thought his armasight gen 2 monoc was awesome till he looked through mine. We shot a medium boar and a big sow. Both loners. I'll post the videos when I get them off the angel eye. It's a different world without flashlights. Had 5 baby coons walk right up to us then follow us around, nutrias swimming right by us, pretty cool stuff. The boar walked around a corner and right to us while we were messing with the coons.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great news!!!

Wait till you start shooting suppressed

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on the kills. Sounds like you had a grand time.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great news!!!

Wait till you start shooting suppressed

Thanks, yep that's next now that I saved some $ on the pvs. Thanks Ratdog, yep it was a blast.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You now own the night, glad you had fun!

Delta4-3

LSB Member
Vendor
Well last night was the first night out with the pvs 14. I am blown away! These things are really amazing. The streaks in the tube didn't bother me at all. My hunting buddy thought his armasight gen 2 monoc was awesome till he looked through mine. We shot a medium boar and a big sow. Both loners. I'll post the videos when I get them off the angel eye. It's a different world without flashlights. Had 5 baby coons walk right up to us then follow us around, nutrias swimming right by us, pretty cool stuff. The boar walked around a corner and right to us while we were messing with the coons.

If you can, take a pic of the streaks. If they are what I am picturing, there is a good chance you can cook them out.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I will take it!

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I will take it!
Ha not too bad huh? I turned it on and put it in the pelican case for 25 hrs. That seemed to lighten the streaks but I could be imagining it. It really doesn't bother me much walking around at night.