Time to Trap some more

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Marshmallows work good especially if you want a snack while setting the trap.
So? How many fingers can a trapper get caught inside one of those traps?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am still missing one, thanks for reminding me. No coons on camera for a long time now, nice.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Missing a trap, not a finger.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It takes an extreme amount of discipline for a trapper not to reach in and try to snag a marshmallow out of his own trap. It's best to wear large puffy gloves.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It takes an extreme amount of discipline for a trapper not to reach in and try to snag a marshmallow out of his own trap. It's best to wear large puffy gloves.
We want pix if your tongue gets snapped when the puffy gloves can't reach it.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So here is the latest. I build a corral trap door(a little smaller and more portable next time), I have 5' tall livestock panel, 20' long, which you can't carry so it's a pain. So I cut the panel in 5' sections, wrap the cut section in a loop around next panel and weld so it is hinged all the way top to bottom(unbreakable). Fold the 4 sections of panel and carry them in very easily. Set up door, unfold panels and put in T post where needed. I could put up 80-100' corral trap, deep in the brush by myself. The entire thing fits in the back of a pickup. No trailer hauling 20' panels all over and trying to manipulate them by yourself. I will start selling them per section with a door. This one I just used 1 section to see how it worked, I took my time and did some digging to get it level etc... and took a break to drink some water but about 50 minutes taking my time. Impossible to get a trap to this area any other way really.

Attachments

• m2 003.JPG
    m2 003.JPG
    274.2 KB · Views: 13
  • m2 007.JPG
    m2 007.JPG
    271.1 KB · Views: 14
  • m2 021.JPG
    m2 021.JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 14
  • m2 043.JPG
    m2 043.JPG
    278.1 KB · Views: 16

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So Dan, no top or bottom?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No top or bottom needed. 5' tall panels keeps hogs from getting over. Never use bottoms in my traps, I have, but prefer not too, plus it's a corral style which there is no bottom necessary.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well we have seen them just climb out of a 5' side panel and root out or actually a large hog lift up and escape w no floor. Maybe that is why our traps cost more here..remember we are in sand

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've caught close to 300 hogs with no bottoms. Only lost 1 but that was a light trap that wasn't tied down and was pushed down a hill. We have sand here too but not really that "sugary" sand that you have, ours is more packed down and tighter I think. 5' tall panel will hold 99% of all hogs. It is required height by Fish and Game for holding hogs without a top. I have seen 4' tall escapes on youtube though.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The other thing about no bottom is yes, definitely need a couple T posts or a big one will lift it. I sell traps with or without bottoms. 25.00 difference. But most people don't want to bother with t posts so they almost always want bottoms.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well that explains it, tie the darn thing down!

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good looking trap!

You weren't kidding about the mosquitos being out in full force around here.... Just drove into La Vernia tonight and a few tried to carry me away. Leaving out early tomorrow or if have made earlier contact with you. Soon though!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LaVernia got flooded pretty good, probably still standing water in the low places. We had a lot of rain in April for sure.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was targeting some medium size hogs with this portable trap. I have the trip wire set up a bit too tight and high for these little piglets. They filled up the trap last night while mama stood back and watched. These guys were all there last night, I had 4-5 big sows and a pile of piglets w/in 30-50 yds last night but on the neighbors side of the fence. They came close to the trap but wouldn't come in so before I left I sprayed down the trap with "sow in heat" and they came back and got a free meal. They should come back tonight, if mama allows it. I reset trigger a little lower and softer. Choppers galore! Some will get out the 4" squares I assume if they come.m2 012.JPG m2 014.JPG

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ChopperII

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Got'chu a nice collection of Happy Meals there... now, bring mama to the train.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hope I can catch them, they are so small might not be able to trip the wire! I put less food in there so they will have to fight over it and get more careless. Have to go clean up a guys lease today and hunt his place tonight so no hunting in this spot. I really would like to catch these little guys.
These are the hogs I was targeting, 40-60 lbers.m11 015.JPG

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Perfect..good luck