THOR or ZEUS ???

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I already have apollo, so I did not decide to go with thor ... but my experience with ATN is not as negative as others. They have been "average to above average" on CS I'd say a 3-5 or a 4 on a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being good). I bought a used PS-22 ... had some issues ... they advised sending back to re-collimnation and the unit has been fine since then. It is sturdy, reliable, etc. But that is PS-22, not Thor, but just chiming in on different CS experience with them. It could be that ATN CS was terrible at some point and then got better? My experience with them was all within last 18 months.

I have my eye on ATN "odin" and would not rule out getting one of those if Armasight q-14 doesn't come along soon :)

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another salient feature I might add is that the Zeus maintains a true center FOV zoom. The THOR does not.

For example, if you zero your rifle and then need to zoom the image on a Zeus, the center of the reticle remains in the center of the image as you zoom. In other words, the image is corrected such that the reticle remains in the center regardless of zoom.

On the Thor, the scope zooms on the image. When you zero, the reticle is moved within the image. If the reticle is moved down and right, then each level of zoom will push it further down and right. You will still have a maintained zero, but the zoom is on the center of the FOV, NOT on the reticle. Depending on how much zoom you have and how far you had to adjust your reticle to get zeroed, you can zoom your reticle right out of the image if you aren't careful.

This happens on the Thor and is a problem on the new X-sight as well. It is a feature of ATN scopes.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yep I can verify that, zoom enough and you lose the reticle completely

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Pro line is supposed to be out following shot I think. Delta4-3 can answer that better since he is a dealer. For atn vs Armasight it seemed to me atn had more quality control issues but that is just based on what I've read from people posting online. The bigger the lense the better performance you will get. Other than that I can not comment since my time with a thor is limited to a few days.

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Pro line is supposed to be out following shot I think. Delta4-3 can answer that better since he is a dealer. For atn vs Armasight it seemed to me atn had more quality control issues but that is just based on what I've read from people posting online. The bigger the lense the better performance you will get. Other than that I can not comment since my time with a thor is limited to a few days.
After using the pro line Zeus did you think they were better or had features that would make it worth the wait to get one? I'm down to a Zeus 640 3x 75 mm (current model) or waiting for the pro line Zeus 640 2x 50mm. The only thing I know that I like on the pro line is the ballistic reticles, not sure if there's any other features I would use. On your video you mentioned a wifi/Bluetooth button, what is it used for? Any info would be appreciated... Thanks.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
dax, I think it has a range finder too, that I would love...saying that remember you can turn on or off most features like BT, WIFI, GPS and the range finder because they eat batteries really fast, so you only turn on and use when you need them. WIFI will connect you to your smart phone with an app as a viewer.

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah... The rangefinder sounded great till I learned its a $2300 upgrade.... Sooooooooo , no on that option. If it can record video to my phone I'll wait for it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yikes!!

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Talked to delta... For that price I'll continue to work on my thermal range estimation skills. We shoot from the second floor of my friends house at hogs on hills that range from 300 to 600 yds. Dumped plenty of rounds that missed but have made some good hits too. It's always a thrill when you see the pig spin and hear that loud thwack! At that range with suppressors they have no idea where the rounds are coming from... Get plenty of time for follow up shots.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I have repeat clients who bring ATN Thor scopes to the hunt. The single biggest issue I have seen is the Thor shutting off after a shot. Thus, making there semi auto guns a single shot rig. These two guys tried a bunch of different cr 123 batteries because some are longer then others. They thought it fixed it, but then it started up again.

This issue has happened over 8 night hunts. 4 of them in march 2014 (warmer weather 50 degree low) and 4 in november 2014 (we saw 15 degrees at night). The issue happened in both warm and cold weather. None of us were impressed and I felt bad that they spent their hard earned money on the Thor.

I plan to pick up a Zeuss when I can.

Same exact issue Alex one of the other guys had with the Thor so he picked up a Zeus.

I'm happy with mine, been great so far. My initial 336x256 had a focus issue, was fixed by Armasight. Andrew is a good guy in customer service at Armasight to beat in, he takes it well (sorry Andrew lol)

I now have the 640 Zeus, even at 90% humidity last night I put a shot on a boar at 120 yards with 2x (6x digital) without an issue. Love the scope for many reasons, quality, size, performance and last night I fell hard tracking the boar, gun hit the ground hard, zeus still was powered on and ready to go.

Navygator

LSB Active Member
I have repeat clients who bring ATN Thor scopes to the hunt. The single biggest issue I have seen is the Thor shutting off after a shot. Thus, making there semi auto guns a single shot rig. These two guys tried a bunch of different cr 123 batteries because some are longer then others. They thought it fixed it, but then it started up again.

This issue has happened over 8 night hunts. 4 of them in march 2014 (warmer weather 50 degree low) and 4 in november 2014 (we saw 15 degrees at night). The issue happened in both warm and cold weather. None of us were impressed and I felt bad that they spent their hard earned money on the Thor.

I plan to pick up a Zeuss when I can.
The shutoff issue was the exact one I had with Thor. I used one for five nights or so in October and every time but once, it cycled off and I was only shooting a 6.8, nothing with crazy amounts of recoil.
I picked a zeus a few days ago, will field test next week in OK and post up.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good info

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The proline I had was not the final production version thats why I just did a side by side to show the different sizes. If you are shooting that far out the pro line may be for you the 100mm lense will get longer detection ranges and is a 4x. The wifi and Bluetooth buttons were not active.

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
sold my thor today....nothing wrong with it, but looks like armasight will work better for my needs . hopefully pro line is released soon.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yup. just wait until the smoke clears after the SHOT show

640 or better
60 hz
12 micron
big glass is better than small glass
plus whatever I haven't even heard about yet