This is how its done

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I talked with and showed the video to three different game wardens today. All three said it was not illegal for use on feral hogs. But I still do not recommend it.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Interesting, as that isn't how the law reads, but maybe there is an exception somewhere? I would like to know why hogs are somehow an exception to animal cruelty laws.

Either way, it is still stupid, cruel, unsporting, and unethical ... IMHO.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was wondering the same thing. If it was anything else on that video, people would be in jail

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You guys are looking at it from the perspective of hogs being a "sporting game animal". Would any of you be as offended if we were talking about roaches or an infestation of rats? Before you jump on me, I'm not promoting this method of killing, but that all that it was meant to be. A method to kill as many as possible as quickly as possible. In Texas, feral hogs are considered vermin that should be eradicated by any means possible. There is generally no effort to manage them for future hunting etc.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Chopper, I think the difference is to kill humanely, as in we all respect the animal we are pursuing and most of us are ethical hunters.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I think that video is proof that this method is pretty ineffective. I guess the idea is the concussion from the blast would kill them? Unless...they mixed in things that would produce shrapnel types wounds and kill them? That would definitely put them in violation of ATF laws. The TPWD doesn't care if you blow up hogs because they are not considered game animals. I know we are all ethical hunters and want a quick, clean kill for our prey, but some don't see it that way. They get wrapped up in the thrill of killing as many as they can at once. Others are landowners and hate hogs with a passion because they are tearing up their crops/land and just want as many dead as possible.

I don't condone this method because of the risk you take of simply wounding the hogs and not finishing the job of eradicating them. After an explosion like this the hogs are still there, just wounded and suffering, but still there to do the same damage they did before. The other side of it is the safety of the hunters/shooters. If they mix in things to act as shrapnel and wound the pigs what is the safe blast zone that the shooter needs to be out of to protect themselves from the shrapnel?

I'm surprised at the poor quality of the video too. It was hard for me to even see the hogs once they all started running. It looked like they only hit one in the video and I only heard a couple of hits. I definitely didn't hear 16 hits.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Alex, you stop seeing all the hogs in the video after the explosion because of the smoke. So basically the morons made a big boom that provided and immediate smoke screen that gave the hogs time and concealment to start running. So not only cruel to the hogs, but hugely detrimental to successful hunting.

Of course they could not use IR illuminators with the smoke. That would have made the problem even worse.

You guys are looking at it from the perspective of hogs being a "sporting game animal". Would any of you be as offended if we were talking about roaches or an infestation of rats?

Sporting or not, doesn't matter. ... and yes, I would be bothered if they were doing this to rats and pretty much any creature with pain receptors.

The tannerite bomb served no actual purpose in the hunt other than a thrill factor. It did not help to catch or kill pigs. TLM mentioned other videos using tannerite. Of those that I have seen, zero such explosions ever down the hog.

I don't know which is more bothersome, that the hunters did this or that **** thinks that it is a positive aspect to promote about hunting, hunters, firearms, tannerite, or the use of night vision gear in the pursuit of hogs.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Victor from **** has said they killed 7 hogs out of the group. But none from the tannerite all from rifle shots. I still say this is not effective and cruel.

yea I have to agree, show and tell isn't a good thing for their or our reputation, I hate it when I wound a pig, doesn't happen too often, but when slinging lead/copper, it can, but when you use something for show and tell, not necessary

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I was told by a game warden that it is legal to kill hogs as long as there are no projectiles. I see the laws changing on tanerite in the future. I have been asked to do it and refused!

PRyan1877

Roselle, Illinois
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another aspect may be that the hogs would lose their night vision long enough for this group of shooters to pop more of them, however, I would venture to guess that the shooters watched the tannerite detonate and lost their night vision as well, hence, the low body count.