Thermal monocular shootout IR Patrol vs Q14 vs MTM vs Prometheus.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Thanks to *******************, Night Combat Solutions, Armasight, and IR Defense I have many of the latest thermal monocular's and mini thermal monocular's to review and compare here. More may be added as we go along but these are the contenders for now below. From left to right the IR Defense IR Patrol, Armasight Prometheus, Insight MTM, and the Armasight Q14.

The IR Patrol, Prometheus, and Q14 are 640 verions. Since the MTM I have is a 320 version I will just use it in pictures as a size comparison for the most part

Initial impressions: As many of you know I have been using the MTM for a couple of years now it has served me well, it is what I have judged all other monocular's by. As you can see in the pictures above the MTM is no longer the smallest mini thermal in the bunch that title goes to the Q14 now.

Before turning any of them on and just handling them the MTM feels comfortable and is easy to hold for hours (its what I am used to). The Q14 is by far the lightest and easiest to hold out of the group. Its smaller than a pvs-14 you barely even notice it on your helmet or hanging from you neck a true MINI thermal. The IR Patrol and Prometheus are almost identical in size and weight. But the Patrol wins out here, with the Prometheus being about 1/4th inch longer and 1.5 ounces heavier. The strange thing is even though the Prometheus is a tiny bit longer and heavier it feels more balanced in my hand vs the IR Patrol feeling a little front heavy. I do not know how this is going to affect holding it up for long periods in the field yet it may not make any difference.

Image quality: The IR Patrol wins with image detail, the BAE 12 micron core looks beautiful. Inside with the AC on and dry cool air the 18mm Patrol edges out the Prometheus in detail, while the Q14's Quark VOX 640 core still looks good.

Outside with 77 degrees with 88% humidity and standing water from recent rains the 42mm lens of the Prometheus took the slight lead over the Patrol with the Q14 falling in third place again.
Even though the Q14 fell behind in detail it seems to make hot targets more visible over the patrol. For example my dog at 50-60 yards last night running through the woods looked very good with the IR Patrol you could almost see the individual hairs on her but she blended in with the trees and brush some. With the Q14 I could see a little less detail in the hairs but she stood out more as a definite hot target. Both the IR Patrol and the Q14 claim to be 1x magnification, while the Prometheus claims 2x. The Patrol seems to be more in the area of 1.5x-2x and almost dead on with the Prometheus. At ten yards I have to move 4-5 feet closer with the q14 to get the same image in screen as the other two. Of course the MTM is 320 with a 19mm lens and just falls short compared to the newer 640 units so its not fair to compare it.

Field of view FOV: In order from best to last the clear winner is the Q14 with 33 degrees. Next is the MTM with 23.4 Degrees. Next we will say the IR Patrol with 22 degrees. I can find no mention anywhere of the Prometheus FOV but it is very close to the IR Patrol. At 50 yards today I measured and had almost 10 foot more field of view with the Q14 over the Prometheus and IR Patrol.

Controls: Again the clear winner is the IR Patrol the joystick is easy to use in my opinion and moving through the options was a breeze. Next will be the MTM With its Power/menu button and up down buttons. And finally is the Q14 and Prometheus with virtually the same buttons and menus. But the Q14 does slightly edge out the Prometheus just because its size and weight make it easy to hold.

If you are looking for a monocular to wear around your neck and the most detailed image in prime thermal conditions the IR Hunter edges out the Prometheus ever so slightly. In bad thermal conditions (About half the year in Texas) the Prometheus with the color pallets and larger lens take the lead.

If you are looking for a true mini thermal that is amazingly. tiny super light weight, can be helmet mounted, has a outstanding field of view, and still has 640 resolution then the Q14 is for you.

Again these are initial impressions after using all the units for about 48 hours. I will have these for about three weeks thoroughly testing them in hunting situations. At the end of this period I will reevaluate, and include video and pictures from each unit's so you can judge with your own eyes.

I will say for my style of hunting constantly moving, carrying a lot of equipment, scanning large open fields and pastures the Q14 seems like it will fit my needs the best at this point, but time will tell.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very interested in how the Q14 compares to the IR patrol.
Looking forward to your results!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
can you add the atn x sight to the mix?

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Took my Q14 out the other night.... Horrible conditions, jus rained and humidity was high. Could see animals but not much terrain. Didn't use it long, had a couple of drinkers with me that kept wanting to look through it... Didn't feel comfortable handing them a $7k optic... Seemed like they were more cautious with their beer than the optic. Did use it at work last week and it performed well... Try again this weekend.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Took my Q14 out the other night.... Horrible conditions, jus rained and humidity was high. Could see animals but not much terrain. Didn't use it long, had a couple of drinkers with me that kept wanting to look through it... Didn't feel comfortable handing them a $7k optic... Seemed like they were more cautious with their beer than the optic. Did use it at work last week and it performed well... Try again this weekend.

With the 19mm lense my Mtm is almost useless in bad weather it will be interesting to see how the other two perform. We have forecast of rain and warm Temps everyday for the next two weeks it will be interesting.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I guess your drought is over !!??

We've gotten good rain for the past two weeks ... but it was about a month too late ... we needed a couple of weeks of rain right after we burned to ensure the weeds don't get too far ahead of the grass and steal the moisture ...

Since I switched to non-rechargables in my Apollo 336(60hz) standard, I have not had any (knock knock) intermittant shut off issues like I was having with the Tenergies.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Texas has declared the drought over!

TomH FW

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
All my hogs have apparently drowned before I could shoot them!

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Texas has declared the drought over!
They just moved us to stage 3 drought from stage 5 in Wichita Falls. Lake arrowhead is just over 50% from 19%! Loving all this rain but it sure isn't the ideal thermal conditions. Hopefully next week it'll dry out enough for him to get some good testing in.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
:D
They just moved us to stage 3 drought from stage 5 in Wichita Falls. Lake arrowhead is just over 50% from 19%! Loving all this rain but it sure isn't the ideal thermal conditions. Hopefully next week it'll dry out enough for him to get some good testing in.

Yea we are flooding here now but I'll take that over a drought.

Took all the thermals out last night only the 100mm looked ok and that was just ok. The rest were pretty bad but it was 77 degrees with 88% humidity.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
:D

Yea we are flooding here now but I'll take that over a drought.

Took all the thermals out last night only the 100mm looked ok and that was just ok. The rest were pretty bad but it was 77 degrees with 88% humidity.
Where are you located at? Got 7" in Archer county last night!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know you guys are pros at this but the 4 scopes at the top of the page, I for one have NO clue as to which are which, a little labeling might help the newbies..thanks