Thermal monocular shootout IR Patrol vs Q14 vs MTM vs Prometheus.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great write up, I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions with a little more time behind each of them.

I had no idea the Q14 was so much smaller than the others!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know you guys are pros at this but the 4 scopes at the top of the page, I for one have NO clue as to which are which, a little labeling might help the newbies..thanks

You mean like the sentence above the picture that says from left to right we have..... ;) sometimes we do have to read and not look at the pretty pictures!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you just added that...LOL OK I was so use to them not being labeled before I did not see that. thanks

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Perfect! thanks

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I look forward to how they do in is less than ideal conditions. When it comes to performance I think the best thermal is the one that shines in crappy weather conditions.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I look forward to how they do in is less than ideal conditions. When it comes to performance I think the best thermal is the one that shines in crappy weather conditions.
I agree, I'm really hoping that Q14 is going to perform really well because a good performing thermal in that small of a form would be awesome.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Well that seems ti be the Prometheus so far but the patrol was not far behind. But they are both on the large side for monoculars. I started thinking last night the Zeus Pro 50mm 1x or 2x would be the same size but have the advantage of being weapon mountable and have the 50mm lens while being waterproof and recoil rated to 59 caliber.
My thing is after using a thermal monocular for the last couple of years is I want it light small and to have a large field of view since I am just using it to spot targets then I use night vision or the bigger thermal scopes to shoot. Really 320 resolution will get this all done. 640 is just icing on the cake.

you just added that...LOL OK I was so use to them not being labeled before I did not see that. thanks

Nope that was in the original!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
just joking TLM...

when funds are limited I can see using a weapons sight as a monocular, instead of buying just a spotting thermal, dual usage would be a huge advantage.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I agree, I'm really hoping that Q14 is going to perform really well because a good performing thermal in that small of a form would be awesome.

It does not have the detail the patrol has for two reasons one is the patrols 12 micron core is better, two the patrol is closer to 2x than 1x so of course you will see more details if looking from the same spot.

The q14 and patrol have the same size lense so in bad weather they will both look bad.

But the q14 still looks good and has the much wider field of view which I think is important for a spotting monocular. Also it's less than half the weight, that's right two Q14's weight less than one prometheus or patrol. That can be a big deal after holding it up to your eye for a couple of hours.

There are a couple of quirky things I have noticed about the Q14 one is there are what looks like rain spots on the image sometimes, they do not affect identifying targets but they are annoying. After the unit warms up they go away. Also it seems the longer the unit is on the better the unit looks after each NUC.

Battery life is about 1.5 to 2 hours but UT only takes one cr123 so it's on par with the MTM I've been using.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
... If you are looking for a monocular to wear around your neck and the most detailed image in prime thermal conditions the IR Hunter edges out the Prometheus ever so slightly. In bad thermal conditions (About half the year in Texas) the Prometheus with the color pallets and larger lens take the lead.

If you are looking for a true mini thermal that is amazingly. tiny super light weight, can be helmet mounted, has a outstanding field of view, and still has 640 resolution then the Q14 is for you. ...

Excellent analysis of trade-offs.

==

Other trade-offs:
101 - The ability to go "hands free" with the thermal scanner should be a plus for those who move on foot a lot while hunting or who ride in a vehicle that allows the front glass to be positioned out of the way while rolling.
102 - Price. Until the new patrol and q-14 units actually start shipping (to regular people) we won't know the real street prices of these units. Currently the q-14 msrp is about 40% higher than the msrp for the patrol ($10k versus $7k) for the highest end models.

==
Also I was surprised the patrol is almost the same size as the prometheus, which for me would be the same size as my apollo 42mm. I can't image wearing the apollo on my helmet even if it was possible!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
==
Also I was surprised the patrol is almost the same size as the prometheus, which for me would be the same size as my apollo 42mm. I can't image wearing the apollo on my helmet even if it was possible!

Yea I can't either they are both a little long and heavy for that. But the both the IR patrol and the Prometheus have a better image. It's like you said trade offs.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
So size wise the patrol and Prometheus are really better suited as clip ons, the mtm a true hand scanner, and the q14 really has the most flexibility, helmet, weapon mount, or hand held.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So size wise the patrol and Prometheus are really better suited as clip ons, the mtm a true hand scanner, and the q14 really has the most flexibility, helmet, weapon mount, or hand held.

Neither function as clipons the patrol m300 may. I would say the patrol and Prometheus fit into the monocular department where the mtm and q14's are true mini monoculars. You could put the q14 in a bdu blouse pocket.

Remember the job for these units is to spot targets quickly drive up to a field and scan. If targets are spotted switch back to night vision or your primary thermal.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Got it. So I take it the Flir handhelds are not really in the same ballpark?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I do not have any of those. The Armasight use flir cores.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I do not have any of those.

Right, so no comparison is being made or implied. FLIR makes a variety of handhelds. The comparable one to these models would be the LS64 (640x480) which goes for about $6K. Off hand, I would be willing to bet the FLIR is at best comparable to the lowest end model and in reality, not quite as good overall.

I own a FLIR PS32. It has been a good scope, but these are not FLIR's cutting edge products.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The only one I've used is the FLIR Scout II 240. I was unable to differentiate between a gravel sand bar and an adult polar bear from approx. 150 yds. Conditions were clear/sunny (cold still, by lower 48 standards). I was very disappointed. Not only in the performance of a $2K piece of equipment, but in the decision made to settle for an entry level piece of equipment for something as important of watching over human lives.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Sorry to divert. Thanks Brian. Good info.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Neither function as clipons the patrol m300 may. I would say the patrol and Prometheus fit into the monocular department where the mtm and q14's are true mini monoculars. You could put the q14 in a bdu blouse pocket.

Remember the job for these units is to spot targets quickly drive up to a field and scan. If targets are spotted switch back to night vision or your primary thermal.

The 300 can be used as a clip on or as a stand alone weapon sight. Or hand held or helmet mounted...

2x and 3x lenses are available for the Patrol as well.

I was thinking PVS 14 on one side of a Mod Armory bridge and Patrol on the other for quick and easy switching... To weapon also, using the Wilcox mount.

JPK

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The 300 can be used as a clip on or as a stand alone weapon sight. Or hand held or helmet mounted...

2x and 3x lenses are available for the Patrol as well.

I was thinking PVS 14 on one side of a Mod Armory bridge and Patrol on the other for quick and easy switching... To weapon also, using the Wilcox mount.

JPK

In the picture from left to right you have IR Patrol, pvs-14, Q14. With batteries the Q14 is .53 pounds, PVS-14 was .71 pounds, and the IR Patrol was 1.093 pounds. 1.093 pounds dos not sound like much but most of the weight is in the front I just do not know about helmet mounting the patrol it seems a little large for that.

Also like stated in the first post they say the patrol is 1x but its more in the area of 1.5x-2x its almost identical to the prometheus which is 2x.

The q14 and the patrol 300 are weapon mountable but the patrol 300 can be a clip on while the Q14 is not. The patrol 250 is not weapon mountable. The Nano is the q14 clipon same size just collimated.