Successfully Helmet Mounting an HD 19A

JPK

LSB Active Member
Decided to try to helmet mount a Pulsar HD 19A, and just got it done this afternoon.

I already had a Wilcox Dual PVS 14 bridge and an Integrated Technologies bridge (often referred to as a Mod Armory bridge) so when I started I was looking to more or less duplicate how an IR Patrol is helmet mounted on either bridge, or on 1/2 of a Wilcox bridge. Those bridges use a dovetail receiver to mount either a PVS 14 on a dovetail arm, or, in the case of the Patrol, an attached dovetail to directly mount to the bridge.

I ordered the Wilcox shoe used on the Patrol, Wilcox part N0.: P/N: 55801G01-B

The threaded sockets on the 19A are 1/4"-20 and there is a more or less centered through hole in the Wilcox shoe which is partially threaded 1/4"-20 as well.

A bud and I were working together on this and he cut the head off of a 3/4" brass bolt and cut a slot into the end of the shaft to accept a flat blade screw driver.

I completed tapping the partially tapped more or less center hole in the Wilcox shoe. I discovered the hole was off center and canted, and this became and issue we were able to overcome, at least so far.

Then we screwed the bolt through the Wilcox shoe and into the 19A socket on the "short side" of the 19A. The canted hole in the Wilcox shoe was an issue, and I gently twisted the shoe to line up fore and aft on the 19A. I tried an o ring accommodate the cant, but that didn't work. A thin plastic washer might be useful to help with the cant of the whole.

Here are results:
19A mounted over the right eye using a Wilcox dual PVS 14 bridge (an PVS 14 is mounted on the left side but swung out of the way.)

Here the 19A over the left eye, PVS 14 is in place over the right eye, this time on an IT bridge:

Opposite side view:

I found I could mount the 19A over either eye, though mounting it over the right eye gives easier access to the controls, when you need them, which is not often since the 19A has auto NUC. Personally, I prefer thermals over my left eye, and I am left handed.

I tried cobbled together fusion, using both the 19A and the PVS 14 simultaneously, and when everything was still it worked ok, but put the viewer or the target in motion and the delay in the thermal made it a no go.

The 19A's centerline is a bit lower than the PVS 14's, which could be cured machining, grinding or filing off some height from the Wilcox shoe, but I found that I could adjust the helmet mount up a bit to split the difference successfully.

I preferred the It bridge over the Wilcox bridge for the purpose, for the same reason I prefer it when using dual PVS 14's, and that is because it provides more eye relief. But I have buds who prefer the Wilcox bridge, and don't need the extra eye relief the IT bridge provides.

Edit: I should add that I had previously reversed the two side dovetail receivers (for the PVS 14 arms or Patrol dovetail) on the Wilcox bridge to provide more eye relief. If anyone needs directions on how to do that I will post them up.

JPK

Last edited:

JPK

LSB Active Member
Weight is fine, the 19A with batteries weighs about the same as a PVS 14.

I don't find the weight of dual PVS 14's to be an issue, so long as there is adequate counterweight. For counterweight, I am using two 15rnd 6.8 magazines, loaded, plus a couple of AA and a couple of 123 batteries in a surplus mag pouch. 15rnd 6.8 mags are close or equal to 20rnd 5.56 mag length.

I'm pretty sure I am going to prefer the 19A helmet mounted to the Patrol helmet mounted. I just about never run the patrol helmet mounted, but I think the 19A will see helmet mounted use. But I have to say I do love dual PVS 14's..., and it is hard to give one up rather than use a thermal handheld.

I am pretty sure it won't work, but I am going to try the 19A as both a clip on for my EO Tech equipped 10/22 and as an independent thermal sight on the 10/22, using the pixel deletion "crosshairs," which can be moved on both X and Y axis. I received my Ultimate Night vision Patrol DLOC weapon mount, so the Wilcox dovetail weapon mount is now a spare, I'll use that for the clip on and scope trials on the 22. I don't think the 19A's 1/4"-20 sockets are up for more than 22lr recoil.

JPK

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Where there is a will/need there is a redneck engineer making it happen..Well done!

JPK

LSB Active Member
Hey y'all, I ain't no redneck... Pay no never mind to that ol' battle flag back thar in the window, it ain't nothing but a thang.

But I do live south of the Mason-Dixon Line....

Last edited:

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I did try the q-14 as a clipon in front of VO 1-6x and did get it to "work" by leaving the q-14 reticle turned on, so my head/eyeballs could perform dynamic "collimation" between the VO and the Q-14. But if the 19a has no internal reticle, you won't be able to use that method.

JPK

LSB Active Member
I has a menu that provides an X that is movable on the X and Y axis. It's intended purpose is to zero in on bad pixels, and the 19A has a function to delete them from view. Deletion is reversible, so no risk of a permanent mess up.

I'm hoping I can get the rifle set up on bags, shoot, move the X to the POI and effect a zero for use stand alone, and/or for "columation" or possibly as a reticule if the 19A is mounted in front of a day optic for some magnification.

JPK

JPK

LSB Active Member
Yea, a red neck reticle, y'all got it!

Going to try tomorrow if I get the chance.

JPK

Lancer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How long will reticle stay on screen before it reverts back to menu or "main view " would be one concern. I have one I guess I could go look when I get home. I do applaud you for getting it helmet mounted! Good job.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Hmm, not sure on that. The X has never disapeared, but I haven't left that menu up for that long either.

The X seems to retain the last X/Y setting when you change menus and then return. And there are X axis and Y axis position indicators, so if I can manage a zero I can record the X's X and Y coordinates.

Should have an opportunity to try it tomorrow, and I'll post results.

JPK

JPK

LSB Active Member
Yea, I worked hard to hide the duct tape!

After some thought, I have determined that the Wilcox shoe adaptation for the 19A is unsuitable for rifle mounting because there is no way to prevent the shoe from rotating. As I installed it, it doesn't rotate easily, but could if bumped, especially if mounted on a rifle and used at night. I don't know about you guys, but I manage to make my gear go bump in the night pretty frequently. So rifle trials suspended. Happy enough with the helmet mount results.

JPK

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Helmet mount is a game changer!

Over past year I'd whittled down helmet mounted thermal options (under $10k) to:
ATN ODIN
Armasight Q-14
PAS-29
IRD Patrol

All of these are in the $6k+ ballpark, at least the versions I was looking at were. So a helmet mounted thermal in the $2k ballpark is a totally different ball park !!!

JPK

LSB Active Member
I have the Patrol. I don't use it helmet mounted much, but will play with it to get a comparison with the 19A helmet mounted.

The Patrol ends up either being a rifle sight - it makes a dandy, small, lightweight scope - if I am hunting with my son or a bud who needs a loaner, or handheld in conjunction with my dual PVS 14's.

When the Patrol is on a rifle, I use the 19A as my handheld spotter. Looking forward to trying it on a helmet. It is lighter than a Patrol, and can be mounted on the left side, which I prefer for a thermal. The Patrol is limited to the right, in my experience.

Edited to add: Also, the 19A has much longer battery life with it's load of four AA batteries compared to the Patrol, even when the Patrol is set up for dual CR123a's

JPK

Last edited:

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Aye, well aware you have a Patrol! :)

I have q-14 ... and I've found the q-14 does spend more time on the rifle than in other uses. The 1x is perfect for rat control.

But I would still love to have thermal on helmet beside pvs-14. Of course, I want to reverse the sides! I'm just so used to pvs-14 on the left, I'd have to have brain surgery to put the thermal over there :D

JPK

LSB Active Member
I am guessing you are right handed (I recall your bolt rifles all have the the handle on the wrong side.) I'm correct handed, i.e., lefty, and so the probable reason for the opposite choice of which eye the thermal ought to go over.

I'll play around with the 19A, and report back. I does actually work better on the right side since that allows direct access to the control buttons, but the bridges I have allow either side to swing up to make clearance for those rare times when the 19A will need adjustment. I does have auto NUC. Just keep in mind that simultaneous use of the 19A and PVS 14 might be dangerous to the user, and will likely bring on queasiness. Didn't work too well, and that was just in my basement.

JPK

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I've walked around with the apollo held side by side with the pvs-14 on multi-hour jaunts ... and also with the q-14 held up side by side with the pvs-14 ... I did get headaches at first. But I figured out that was primarily due to the brightness differences between the thermals and 14s projecting onto my eyes which were continuously trying to balance those different brightnesses. When I turn down the brightness and or use "red hot" or "sepia" 90% of the headache symptoms go away. Other than that I haven't had any "queasiness" ... at least not so far!

If the 19A is not 1x then that would be an issue!

JPK

LSB Active Member
The Patrol is 1.45x, iirc, and it doesn't work with a PVS 14.

The 19A appears to be perfectly 1x, but it's the 30htz refresh rate and so the visible delay in the 19A image that causes the issue for me. So, for example, my bud who helped my with the project was about 10' away in my darkened gun room, the 19A and PVS 14 images were perfectly lined up... He moved and the PVS 14 image was real time, but the 19A view was behind. It was similar if he stayed put and I moved.

JPK

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Hum, maybe your eyes work differently than mine. I've had 60hz, 30hz and 9hz devices and I've never been able to tell the difference!!! They all seem to lag a bit if I pan quickly, but it hasn't bothered me so far.