Stalking Range

Jason

I use thermal and I slowly walked up to a hog who was rooting and flopping in a mud hole. So he was pretty occupied. I was in a winter wheat field and the wind was in my favor. I got within about 30 yards. I could hear him grunting. When I shot him I could hear him squeal. I use a tripod shooting stick that is light and sets up quick. But at that range you don't really need a rest unless you got a heavy rifle.

Last edited:

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Depends.

If it's just one hog, I only get as close as I need to. If it's a noisy group I would prefer to get as close as possible. 50 yards thereabout, to better my chances of getting as many as possible.

That is pretty much my tactic. I notice that I tend to get closer than I realize or need to.

Jason

That's one thing I've noticed about hunting pigs. There isn't really a wrong way. There are so many good ideas on this site. I haven't ever stalked any animal until I started hunting pigs.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hunted javelina in Arizona. A guy told me to act like a pig and make chewing noises so I did. I got right in the middle of packs of them, literally just a few feet away with a bow trying to draw back was the hard part. Stupid little pig things.

JPK

LSB Active Member
I like 40-50yds when conditions permit, like moon, cloud cover, what your walking on...

I noticed how black is easier to see at night in most settings, which is counter intuitive.

Even on familiar ground I miss range estimates using just thermal. NV helps a lot with range estimates, but I use it less and less as time goes by, just to stick to KISS.

Rocket

I often walk within 15 yds of the hogs on the ranch and shoot. It all depends on if you are down wind.