Stalking Range

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Grass has been so high lately I've been shy of grabbing my gear walking out into the field and stepping on a hog or deer.

Got me thinking. What's average range you guys think you shoot using thermals. More then once they look big in thermal and I walk up to them and it's a little piggy.

Gonna try and close the distance in my next few hints. 50-75 yards. Probably not in the next 2 weeks since moon is about to go full.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Us wearing all black with a head cover (don't forget the black socks),with the wind right,with little or no moon,stalking side by side,have gotten to within 35yds of a sounder (6-20)of hogs in a wide open,harvested, peanut field.
We have seen these hogs at several hundred yards and the stalk,to me,is as fun as the kill. We have been stalking hogs and had another small sounder walk right up on us to within 25 yds.
Realizing that with thermal you are looking at a small TV screen. There is no depth perception. We have found that,for the most part,the only way to judge distance is by the viewed size of the target. The only way to estimate the size of the target (for us,hogs and coyotes) is how they move and how big or small they look in relation to the other animals or the surrounding vegetation.
If I could have just one addition to my thermal,it would be a rangefinder. Invisable laser. You put the units existing cross hair on the target and push a button. Distance pops up in the viewer. PERFECT !! --- pruhdlr

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
On shots where I know the distance and I am hunting alone, the average is just over 110 yards (mostly from stands). When team stalking sounders, the distance drops quite a bit (distances seen to be in the 70-80 yard range, initially).

Particularly when I am on property unfamiliar to me and I don't know the distance, I have shot some BIG hogs that turned out to be unimpressively small.

My goal is to get as close as I need to make the shot. Sometimes that means getting inside of 50 yards and sometimes it means 150 yards. Ambient conditions/environment have a lot to do with how far my shot will be.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My average has been 80 to 120. Without the depth perception i start to look for detail such as the ears and tail depending on temp & humity. When you can make out and see them wag there tail your getting close. For me, Im a bit braver now that i have a 30 round clip & closer is better for follow up shots.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have been using my Bushnell Equinox to spot them, for 200.00 these things rock, the infrared sometimes bothers the deer but the hogs so far don't seem to care. Then I point gun up, turn on light and slowly drop it down on them. The Bushnell allows you to see 600-800 yds with light on high and turn the light down for the close critters so not so bright. You can tell a raccoon from a hog (size and attitude)at 500 yds plus.

nonnieselman

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The last ones i stalked started out at roughly 700 yards. When i could smell them and hear them throwing dirt while rooting, i figured that was close enough for some easy shooting.. I thought it was a sow and 3 little ones.. it was a 250ish# boar with 3 sows..They didnt stand a chance.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I try to get withing 50 yards. Most of the time I know the property and distances. But with the Armasight laser rangefinder it's easier to take longer shots. I was hitting them at 377 yards the other day with the 6.8 and 75mm Zeus at 6x no problems.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Depends.

If it's just one hog, I only get as close as I need to. If it's a noisy group I would prefer to get as close as possible. 50 yards thereabout, to better my chances of getting as many as possible.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Also light olive drab, greens and browns are far better colors to wear at night black tends to stand out in a open pasture fyi.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Also light olive drab, greens and browns are far better colors to wear at night black tends to stand out in a open pasture fyi.

I experienced that mistake a few years back. Thought all black was a good idea. Then I noticed how OBVIOUS a black cow is in an open pasture. I also had a hog look dead at me wearing all black and got the heck out of dodge.

Again, dang tall grass is quiet to move around but I really don't like being waist high in grass where a hog could be right there.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
My goal is 40-50 yards. The terrain, animal behavior, and other features like cows and buildings will change those plans.

I'm with Lawman and ZenArchery on the color of clothing. Olive drab, coyote brown, even light gray is better than black. Black hogs stand out pretty easy under the moon light in an open field. Even easier with night vision. Trying to spot a coyote or deer that isn't moving in a brown field is a little harder. Once they move it's easier to pick them out.

D

djones

... Im a bit braver now that i have a 30 round clip...
yea well i have one of those too and you see where it's got me

Depends... If it's just one hog, I only get as close as I need to.
now THAT is the graduate school answer!

if i have any chance at all, i try to get close enough that i think i can make a killing shot based on how much the crosshairs are moving around on the spot i want to hit. my hogs won't tolerate me much closer than 50 or 60 yards in an open field anymore. but then again...

my hogs are smarter

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I try to get within 50 yards on moonless nights with a light wind. Takes patience and slow movement. However I'll take whatever the pigs will give me. The more the moon is out the farther out you'll have to stop. Like lawman said Brown's and greens work best.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yea well i have one of those too and you see where it's got me

DJ, his is a 30 magazine clip, and everyone knows those can shoot a hundred rounds a second. You on the other hand have a 30 caliber clip... Those jam all the time.. Just ask Kevin De Leon.

D

djones

thanks alot. i just suffered some more brain damage watching that.

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I try to get withing 50 yards. Most of the time I know the property and distances. But with the Armasight laser rangefinder it's easier to take longer shots. I was hitting them at 377 yards the other day with the 6.8 and 75mm Zeus at 6x no problems.
Well said, sir. I've spent enough time looking through mine on familiar places that judging yardage is no problem even on foreign soil... The closer the better though, love the figuring out how to get close and being right in their pockets when the shooting starts!

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Where Can I get one of those 30 Magazine clips? I want to be able to shoot that fast too.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
They are only available through the California government outlet. California politicians can tell you all about them.