Sour mash

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Trying to making sour mash for the hogs. I found a few of these jugs by the company water cooler and thought they would be the perfect container. I added corn, 6 packs of yeast, a 12 pack of the cheapest beer Wal Mart sells, and some water. I shake it once a day, and I'll try pouring it out when the mixture becomes more of a "goo".

Any thoughts?

IMG_6369.JPG

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah they are gonna blow up! So your company will lose their deposit on the bottles?

5 gallon bucket, 1/2 full w corn(no more, less OK) add 1 pak yeast, water maybe a koolaide dry pack, 1lb sugar, stir it up well, cover and let sit in the sun 2 weeks and check it to see if it needs another week, or I rotate and leave some for a month or more.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'll take the plug out when I get home. I don't want that damn thing exploding near my house.

Would it be better to have used cracked corn instead of whole corn?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
whole corn is just fine...you may have to cut the top off or split the bottle to get it out. I would maybe put 2" holes in the sides after it has soured and let them roll it around your bait area.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yep, what Frank said.
I would not buy beer to add to the corn. Old or crappy beer that you already have, and will not drink is OK..but not needed.
Otherwise a single packet of bread yeast, some sugar, and Warm (not hot) water to get the yeast activated will start souring your hog corn.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah I hate to waste 1 beer let alone the 12 he used! Spoiled beer, old throwaway beer, end of a keg is ok...water is just fine w a pak of yeast

rrv333

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Whole oats will sour and leave an incredible stench as well. If you get that smell on your hands it doesn't wash off it wears off. Ask me how I know:eek:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My latest batches have been made with corn( almost always steamed crimped corn ) it soaks up moisture right away. I add water and yogurt, usually strawberry yogurt, just a couple per 5 gals. I also add milk or this last time some almond milk that froze in the back of the fridge. The young hogs can't stay away from the stuff, must smell like mama's milk or something. Last night after catching one, the group came back but the cows reached over the fence and banged the trap door closed so the hogs rooted all around the trap trying to get in!

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'll grab some almond milk the next time at the store.

Thanks for the info!

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You know there are thirsty hunters in Texas and you are wasting beer on hog bait?
Shame.......

rrv333

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Using beer is alcohol abuse, shameful:(