So I Want To Get An AR and I Need Some Advice

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looking back I think I have $1200 into my *** 6.8. My 458 was about the same. Only cheaper one I have is the .22 which I bought for $500. Dedicated .22, but great for plinking if I can find ammo

Lancer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm glad I started with 223 it suited me very well and laid lots of hogs down. I just bought a new 6.8 upper to go with it (no kills yet) for ~$600. now I'm looking at a blem lower for $129 to put with one or the other. I agree it's probably not the best equipment nor the advised route to take, but I enjoy the journey. YMMV. And you can't have too many guns.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Some day if I stop building new rifles I'll buy a complete lower and slap it on my 223 upper. I could always get a new frontier complete lower. I have been finding the for under $120 complete

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That seems pretty reasonable then.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dan... just an FYI (if you weren't already aware). A new barrel, bolt, MD, magazine(s) and you have a 6.8 SPC conversion from your 5.56.
Actually I didn't think about that. So if I have an upper in both I can can just swap uppers and mags and be running again?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's a no brainer for me. You could carry a different upper in your backpack and swap out in seconds. I just read where a guy uses his 556 Pmags. He says he loads up a 30 rd mag with 18 rds of 68 and it feeds as fast as he can pull the trigger. True?

Froggerzack

Diana, TX (East TX)
Bingo get that boy a prize!

Blast cheap .223/5.56 and hunt with 6.8SPC (or insert another caliber here)...

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Bingo get that boy a prize!

Blast cheap .223/5.56 and hunt with 6.8SPC (or insert another caliber here)...
Hey, What's the Prize??? Upper???

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's a no brainer for me. You could carry a different upper in your backpack and swap out in seconds. I just read where a guy uses his 556 Pmags. He says he loads up a 30 rd mag with 18 rds of 68 and it feeds as fast as he can pull the trigger. True?

NO, you should be able to load maybe 5 or 6 and it feeds properly..as cheap as 6.8 mags are I want the proper equipment.

1 favorite lower and 5 different uppers as long as they run OK

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I haven't been into the Ar's long enough to even hear that or have not questioned it before. I was under the assumption that different cal. meant different everything. That opens up a new door to my small world. lol I won't skimp and use the same mags. Just wanted confirmation that in a pinch or emergency that mag would work.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Though you can have many uppers and one lower, you will find that eventually you just end up with lowers for everything.....

But it allows you to piece things together over time but still have lots of fun with all the calibers during that time too!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Actually I didn't think about that. So if I have an upper in both I can can just swap uppers and mags and be running again?
Absolutely correct.

The side groove/indentations on the mag body are not as deep for a 6.8 as they are for a 5.56. That's because the 5.56 shell casing is smaller in diameter. They use a different follower as well. That's why different mags are part of the deal.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Easiest thing it to use Pmags w your 223 and metal on the 6.8, I made it even easier, I sold all mt 223/556 parts, mags, ammo and guns.