Shot my newest 6.8 today

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I agree with Frank. I always run a minimum of 3 factory rounds through a virgin build, just for pure function test. Looking for bolt lock back, stripping a fresh round from the mag, and the ejection angle. That is the only reason I even have factory ammo in my stash. That way you know you are starting with a fully functioning gun and if problem occur with handloads you know where to look.

BTW ***'s 18" ers are mid gas and 4198 should have no issues with cycling.

But if you continue to get short stroking there are a few different ways to fix it. Cheapest is to clip the recoil spring a bit to reduce the power of spring, or buy a reduced power spring like a wolf, or open up the gas port one size. If it where me I would try a reduced power spring, but I am assuming you are running a standard carbine buffer and spring.

FYI a heavier buffer will only make the short stroking worse.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It is a standard spring and buffer. I think I have a lighter spring from another build. I'll try that

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ok heres a question to add to this. my ace stock is the 9.9" and it has a rifle buffer in it. is that right for an 18" with a mid length gas system or should i run a car buffer?

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ok heres a question to add to this. my ace stock is the 9.9" and it has a rifle buffer in it. is that right for an 18" with a mid length gas system or should i run a car buffer?
Run a rifle buffer and rifle spring in a rifle tube, but running a rifle buffer system in a mid length barrel is no problem.

Another item to check is to make sure the butt stock screw has a hole in the middle of it. It is there to allow air to escape.

They don't really make reduced power springs for the rifle buffer system, JP has a reduced mass buffer. Or you can either make your own reduced mass buffer by swaping out some the weights for something lighter like plastic, this pic might make things clearer.
buffer-construction.jpg

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ill try ammo first but that might be a good way to go. wouldn't be hard to swap weights in the buffer. i just took my brass out of the tumbler, need to prep it and load some more. im going to step up in .5gr steps and see what it does then dial it in closer once i get it to cycle or until i see pressure signs. if i hit pressure signs then ill work on other things. i am also going to use my lighter spring i have laying here and see what that does

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I finally got to shoot my 6.8 again. Bought a box of Remington 115's. Cycled perfect. It was the ammo

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
dry or dirty bolt and a bad mag both have cause issue with mine.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I finally got to shoot my 6.8 again. Bought a box of Remington 115's. Cycled perfect. It was the ammo
That's good news and factory remmy typically is underpowered too.
What was the ejection angle with the remmy?

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah if you are cycling remy 115 the weakest factory load you are ok. I am bad as I have limited myself to 4 factory loads in my 6.8 and that is what I use at the range and hunting to make sure it works properly in my weapons.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ejection angle was almost straight 3 o'clock. Went up just slightly and landed 2 feet over. When I saw the remmy's I knew if it works I was good

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I tried 110 gr hornady again with 24 gr of imr and they cycled great too. Threw brass at about 2 o'clock 3 feet away with no pressure signs. I have 300 of those so I'll load more up. I started at 23 and went up .5 at a time. 24 was accurate and 25 started spreading out but still no pressure signs

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good thing to know, as I play with this load I'll keep watching brass

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Make sure that your brass is not hitting the defector and bouncing forward, my 556 does this and gives confusing results until I realized what was going on.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
im going to try to set up my gopro and film my brass ejecting. see what that shows

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you have a PM on the other site from me

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yup, I'd agree with starting with some GOOD factory loads for a baseline... and just because you didn't mention it... hand cycle the action a couple of hundred times and clean it, lube it (BCG) well for initial shooting.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
im going to order some more factory ammo. just to have on hand. i think i have it working well now. im glad it was just an ammo problem

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Park the 4198 and get some RL10x or AA2200.
I never got 4198 to cycle properly and believe me, I tried because I had it.
Yeah, there are lots of loads for it but they also shoot 6.8 in bolt guns with long barrels that don't need to cycle...

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i thought i had some 2200 but im out. im going to head out next week and get a couple pounds