Question ; what about buckshot?

Lancer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm constantly being told that i need a scatter-gun with buckshot to really lay waste to hogs at close and medium distance. I don't have any useful experience with buckshot and don't see it being effective; so i lay the question before the knowledgeable guys here. What experiences have you had/ seen with hogs and buckshot? Thanks in advance!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well with what you faced an autoloader, 5-6 rds or more 00buck would have done a lot of damage. Lots of wounded and lots of finishing shots needed but if you are eradicating I might try it.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Before I started using my AR when in a helicopter, I had better luck with #4 turkey loads with either a full or turkey choke than I ever has with 00buck.

mxshooter

Good question!

I'm under the same impression, so I bought the MKA-1919 specifically for stalking hogs. I have a small pile of 3" buckshot shells to use, but haven't had the opportunity to give either a shot yet.

I'll post some results as soon as I get some. Maybe someone will give us a better idea before then!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think 4 buck w more shot, close range might be better than 00 but with the herd you have I am not sure it makes much difference.

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I have generally read that a shotgun is not the way to go for hogs. However, it might do the trick at very close range I suppose. I would suspect more of an injury to the pig than a clean kill shot if using a shotgun.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My friend and I were in a blind hunting deer in norther Florida. He had decided to bring his 870 along to hunt with. He had a rifled slug in the chamber followed but 00 buckshot. While sitting there 3 hogs walked out. We decided to shoot them. He dropped the first one with the slug at about 30 yards. I hit the second with my 6.8 and dropped him. The third got scared and started running back towards us. He shot it with buckshot at about 30 yards and all it did was trip the hog up a little. A second shot from my 6.8 put him down. After that I decided I would not be hunting hogs with buckshot again. When we cut the hog up we found most of the shot didn't penetrate very deep. All it did was piss off the hog

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
what load was he using in the shotgun? 12ga?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had bad luck with buck shot on adult hogs it worked great on piglets though.

From helicopters they work great you are shooting down into the spine and vitals. But from the side pent ration seems to be an issue.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
what load was he using in the shotgun? 12ga?

12 gauge shooting Winchester super-x. I still have the rest of the box from that day. After that we never took the shotguns into the woods with buckshot again. Which reminds me, I need to order slugs

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I grew up in Wisconsin in Dane County, it was shotgun only (I guess because of the cows?). Buckshot was not allowed or rifles so we killed a lot of deer with slugs, they leave a big hole that's for sure. That county is now a top producer of B&C Bucks, maybe because of the short distance shooting?

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I grew up in southern Wisconsin so I know what that's like

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Never heard of that one.

Itsazonik