public hunting in texas

ronnie leblanc jr

Bay City, Texas
has any one done any hog huntin on public hunting lad in texas? I have been looking at places all the ones I have found you have to mail in a postcard and hope they draw your name. any one have other public lands where you can go without mailing in and crossing your fingers to get picked?

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow, they make it as hard as possible in Tx, did not use to be that way. What happened?

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow, they make it as hard as possible in Tx, did not use to be that way. What happened?
Too many hunters not enough public land. Most of the land in Texas is privately owned.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Fl went in and bought millions of acres, to pay for some they forested it with paper companies $ for the right to the wood and a shared profit. I have to admit Fl has a lot of public land easy for all to use. I don't like all the rules and such but there is tons of it.

skwoodrow

Kingwood Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If I read the reg's correctly, you do not need a tag for hogs. You can even get away from needing a hunting license if you find someone who asks you to help them clear out hogs that are destroying their crops/property. However, for public lands, guided hunts or where you pay to hunt on private property, you still need the license. PLEASE, if I am wrong, someone correct me. I won't hold it against you or too long....lol.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know for sure you don't need a hog tag, not too sure bout your other question. But is the $25 license really going to break the bank, it goes to the state and not the feds.

Harris hawker

LSB Member
Ok,
There is 900 acres In Guadalupe county that is public hunting. But it's for dove only.
Skwoodro is right.
If you can get a landowner to say you are there hunting pigs cause they are a nusience you do NOT need a hunting permit.
It really is crappy about the public land.
As a falconer, all I hunt is mice, rabbit, sparrows just small game.
But the public land is rented by the state, so the land owners can pretty much dictate what you hunt.
And even tho there is no season for the animals I listed, I cannot take my bird there and hunt them.
It's a really crappy deal.
So the Texas laws do not apply on rented public hunting lands.
And this is from the public hunting coordinator her self.
But to hunt on the land you need to buy a second permit from the state an APH permit allowing you access to the land, it can be bought at Walmart or other places they sell hunting licenses. And the licenses is good thru out Texas.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
has any one done any hog huntin on public hunting lad in texas? I have been looking at places all the ones I have found you have to mail in a postcard and hope they draw your name. any one have other public lands where you can go without mailing in and crossing your fingers to get picked?

Guys,

To my knowledge, there are 3 types of "public" land that can be hunted in the state of Texas these are:
1. Army Corp of Engineer land
2. US Fish and Wildlife land (National Wildlife Refuges)
3. TPWD owned and maintained lands

There are different requirements and regulations to hunt on each type of property. The properties I am most familiar with are those that are owned and maintained by TPWD.

To hunt TPWD property (State Parks, Wildlife Management Areas, ...etc) there is a draw system for any hunt that would require the use of a rifle, (all hunts, including means and methods allowed are listed here). There are several reasons why Texas (as well as most other states) use a draw system, the most obvious in this case being safety for anyone who may be on the property while hunters are in the field.

Texas does lease thousands of acres of private land specifically for public hunting. Most of these properties are available to the public for dove, small game, or a combination of both. The only requirement to access these properties, in addition to what you would need to hunt anywhere else in the state, is the purchase of a $48 Annual Public Hunting Permit (APH). Because these are leased from private individuals, the State is bound to any restrictions that the landowners would want. Yes, this means they pick the allowable hunting dates, means and methods, vehicular access, ...etc. This is the same as would be done on any lease in the state. All Texas laws apply on these properties the same way they would apply on any other lease. Anyone that purchases an APH will be mailed a book that has all the available hunting locations in the state that are leased for these purposes. They can also be accesed here. The other properties that are leased are generally leased on a per hunt basis. TPWD basically purchases hunts from private ranches to include in the drawn hunts. These are usually big game species but will vary from year to year on availability.

If I read the reg's correctly, you do not need a tag for hogs. You can even get away from needing a hunting license if you find someone who asks you to help them clear out hogs that are destroying their crops/property. However, for public lands, guided hunts or where you pay to hunt on private property, you still need the license. PLEASE, if I am wrong, someone correct me. I won't hold it against you or too long....lol.

There are no regulations on hunting feral swine other than the requirement of a hunting license. Feral swine are legaly considered escaped livestock and are regulated by Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC) as such there is no tag requirement. If you are the agent of or an owner of a ranch/farm that has normal agricultural processes (farming, feedlots, orchards, ...etc) you may "take" feral swine in an effort to reduce the amount of damage being done to your agricultural process. From what I have heard most game wardens will ticket you if the agricultural process in not obvious.

This was really a lot longer than I intended but I hope I answered some questions and didn't make things a lot muddier.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
A hunting license is required for feral hogs. They fall under the exotic category. Unless, you are the owner or agent id the owner of an agricultural operation as stated above.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I was going through some of the older posts and came across this question. If you still have questions about public land hog hunting, let me know, I have a little extra info that you may be interested in.

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
look up LBJ and Caddo National grasslands, NO draw. Black powder, shotgun or archery. Also corp of engineer land by permit, but no drawing on most.

tech96

TEXAS
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have been going to the Decatur Grasslands. I went yesterday to the Caddo area grasslands where one of the firefighters told me there are pigs. The Caddo area i went to is an archery only. I saw signs of pigs but no actual pigs. There is still a bunch of ice on the ground so it was hard to be stealth. I paid and got the APH and the map book that comes with it tells you the rules per parcel. Hope this helps.

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
I hunt hogs in the Sam Houston National Forest and a hunting license and annual permit is required.
As Tech96 said, When you buy an annual permit you will receive a Public Hunting Land Map Booklet for the entire state of Texas that also has regulations for legal game, etc for each unit number.

In the SHNF, you can only hunt hogs (year around) during daylight hours which is a challange since they move mainly at night and everybody and his brother hunts there.

I hunt around (near) Lake Conroe, you can stop at the Parks and Wildlife Station and they will be happy to discuss where hogs have been seen, etc.

My son-in-law hunts water fowl on Old River off of I-10 and he says it is ate up with hogs. It's common to see sounders on every trip. He stop by and talked with the Game Warden and they only allow trapping by permit at this time, but because the hogs are getting out of control they are considering allowing day time hunting.......Who knows when, if, or what types of weapons will be allowed.

PS: You can buy the annual public permit at Academy as well and TPWD will mail the booklet to you within a week or so.

Last edited:

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
Also, if you decide to hunt on public hunting land, be prepared to spend 9o% of your time scouting.

Majority of the hogs are bedded in heavy covered such as cane, briar thickets, salt grass (coastal), pine thickets, palmettos, etc and it will definitely separate the hunter from the weak of heart.