Practicing with Night Vision

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Wow, the Brownell's "Ejector Removal Tool" (ERT) just arrived via UPS, way out here in the county, in less the 24 hours (I paid extra for 2nd day UPS). Now I have two issues:

01 - What size punch to use to punch out the ejector pin? So I'll google for that. Hopefully all AR-10 clone bolts use the same size!

02 - The ERT will not push the ejector flat down on the bolt face, as the instructions say to do, with just my hand turning the handle of the tool, so I'll need to try a vice grip or channel lock to see if I can turn it. Worst case, I can punch it out without being flat on the face and maybe things go flying. I'll wear some eye-pro.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Channel lock worked and turned the handle of the ERT which depressed the ejector flat on to the bolt face. Then I used 1/16 punch and pushed out the pin. Then I released the tension on the ejector. It did not come out! I depressed it a second time and then released it a second time and it still does not come out! I would've expected the spring to push it out, but not happening. To re-state, the ejector retaining pin is out, but the ejector will not come out. Things must be messed up inside there! Only thing I can think of is to keep working it back and forth. The ejector comes about half way off the bolt face but does not even return to its normal position, only about half way. I can't get any leverage on it to pull it out.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think you found your issue

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Yeah, but I feel like my issue found me! The issue is in charge right now ...

I tried putting some vibration on the situation by backing on the rear of the bolt while it is in the tool with the tension on it. In that position the only thing holding the bolt on the tool is the tension, so hoping a little vibration, with soft end of hammer might loosen things up in there, but no joy so far. I guess at this point, worst case, I need a whole new bolt. I'll call Sig and get the bad news.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you can get the extractor out, no need for a bolt

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Sig says if I send the rifle back it would be a warranty repair. But to do that will take a bunch of time and I'd have to swap back the timney trigger to the stock trigger and technically the battle comp muzzle device for the a2 flash hider as Sig can be sticklers, so probably won't go that route unless there is no other option.
For now, I'm trying a combination of working the ejector back and forth and soaking the bolt. My guess is that either the spring broke and it is tangled around itself and the ejector and/or there is some foreign material in there.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think that is a good guess...Can anyone tell him if he can damage anything by being rough w it?

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
2014-11-12
2200-2300
20F
10 mph NW

Goal: Acclimation check zero on .308WIN with PS-22 amd .45acp with CT ir-laser. Zero ir-laser on rifle.

Environment: I think it actually warmed up a little tonight ... certainly the wind is down a bit. Low clouds, no stars, moon rising towards end of session.

Equipment: .308WIN with 13-27 inch harris bipod set at 22 inches with 168gr AMAX. .45acp. Wore teeshirt, light jacket and carhart coat. This is one less layer than last time, but carhart is worth 1.5 layers. I could wear another layer under it and that would be #1 in terms of pure cold defeating, but the carhart is bulkly then the "A" option which is same layers under the wet suit top. The wet suit top outer layer is very warm and less bulky. And the bulky aspect is important when wearing a lot of gear and trying to balance ability to move, with ability to stay warm.
Also had pinnacle on left eye with ballistic helmet and balaklava. And wore "snow pants" which are too warm unless you are laying in the snow.
Had one glove on left hand with right hand glove in right pocket. Rifle had 3.5-10x TMR scope (Ill Ret) with ir-laser on the front of the rail. Also kit included, 1 quart canteen, lrf and 3x 14 magnifier on belt pouches, 3 mag pouch with 5 mags of 4 rds each of 7.62 168gr AMAX (5 more rds on the check pad). Pack with food and water and 12 lb weight.

Activity: On trip out I could see fine with the one 14, even though it had the 720nm filter. There was some scintillation, but I could see well enough to move at 80% day speed with no hestitation. Set up target, fired one round of .308WIN at 25yds checked target, low center in 9 ring. I aimed low, so I hit low. Why did I aim low? Not thinking. Maybe I think the round will go where I think I want it to, regardless of where I aim!!?? Second round, aimed for center of black circle, hit x ring. This was with 3.5-10x TMR scope and PS-22. To aim in this position I got down in my seated position and extended the bipod to the indicated 22 inches and then squirmed around until I felt like I had minimized the "strain" on the position, getting to a point where I could mostly relax and still be pointed (body and rifle) at the target. I took some time to do this for both shoots. What I did wrong the first time, was just not aim at the bull.
Fired 2 rounds of .45acp, had to open carhart to pull pistol as I had the pistol strapped on the middle layer light jacket. I don't want to have to adjust the pistol for the carhart, that's part of the reason the carhart is "B" because it is bulkier and would require changing the belt (and the changing it back later). Got 8 and 9 ring with pistol, which is acceptable. The CT ir-laser on the pistol does not bloom like the laser-max ir-laser I have on the rifle.
On the way back the pinnacle did fog up, I uncovered my nose and the fog disappated.

Results: I forgot the ir-laser adjusting tool, because I switched pants. So I couldn't adjust the laser. But I did confirm zero on rifle and pistol. And I got some more acclimation which is the important aspect.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
regarding the ejector ... I've been soaking it and working it back and forth periodically. With needle nose pliers, I can move it out about a 1/16 of an inch, but still can't get it further than that. I will continue with this process and will try to get a different paid of pliers or tweezers today.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I am thinking of getting a monopod shooting/walking stick, so I'd want it to extend to at least 62 inches.

I've used cottonwood sticks about 50-70 inches long as walking sticks and like them a lot for that purpose, they are very light.

In watching TLMs videos of hog hunting and thinking about my practicing with thermal and laser, I have doubts I could remain as steady while panning back and forth trying to track and shoot the hogs running in various directions with the thermal on the rifle, if I am standing unsupported.

So first use case for the stick is as a walking stick and second use case is to improve ability to track and engage multiple moving targets that don't shoot back from standing position.

So does anyone have any suggestions? Midway has several, with this one being the most expensive.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1818115404/primos-gen-2-trigger-stick?cm_vc=ProductFinding

A number of reviews of the various shooting sticks say they are not stable and the reviewer wishes they had gotten a bipod or tripod instead. I have a tripod and I use it mostly for zeroing, but I think it is too bulky to carrying around extended and too time consuming to extend prior to a shot while hunting. I'm looking for something that will be a little more stable than standing unsupported.

The trade off is with something else in my hand, I'll struggle more to use the thermal as a monocular, but then I might leave the thermal on the rifle more and use it with the stick for observation. Using the LRF might also be impacted, but not sure how critical the LRF is for hog hunting :).

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah, impossible to do stalking and trying to do it manually!

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Still can't get ejector out of bore ... need some magic needle nose pliers ...

==

2014-11-14
2200-2300
20F
10 mph SW

Goal: Zero ir-laser on .308WIN

Environment: No moon, some stars, some clouds, snow forecast in the morning, fairly dark, some breeze.

Equipment: .308WIN with 3.5-10x TMR Ill Ret scope, 168gr AMAX, bipod at 22 inches, ir-laser. Pinnacle on left side of ballistic helmet, PS-22 on front rail.

Activity: Fired two rounds at 25yds to check zero, hit x ring and 9 ring at 9 o'clock. Elevation good. Then co-witnessed ir-laser to reticle, this is case where illuminated reticle is useful. I am on right side of gun holding tiny allen wrench in the two holes, for elevation and windage, while looking through the scope with left eye at tree line 300yds away. Sitting with the 22 inch bipod deployed. It is a contortion! Finally got it done, and confirmed zero, two rounds in 9 ring at 3 o'clock. I'm using 50yds small bore nra targets. I'll try standing unsupported tonight. Pinnacle fogged up a little on way home, just as last time. Not using anti-fog juice yet. Removing noise from inside balaklava reverses 14 fogging for now.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Yes, I looked at that video twice - but that guy didn't have the problem I've having ... the good ole "ejector stuck in bolt after removing retaining pin" problem! I talked to one gunsmith, he said he'd seen numerous cases of broken ejector springs, but never had a case where the ejector got stuck. I guess I am one "lucky" SOB !!! I've seen one post on another forum where a guy couldn't get the ejector out, and he was advised "there is a burr up in there" and I've been advised that as well, so that could be the issue ... but knowing that hasn't helped get it out yet.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well I have tried, no way to get hold of it? no spare bolt?

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I have been able to move it with long nose about 1/16 of an inch ... but can't get good grip on it. If I had a smaller something to grip it with maybe I could get it out.

==

The AR-10/SR-25 clones are all proprietary and we are warned not to swap parts around. I called Sig, they said it would be a warranty repair if I send the whole rifle back to them and that is an option, but it would take more time.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
maybe worth it at this point, no telling if that is all that is wrong

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Another 24 hours soaking in KROIL ... now when I depress the ejector with the ERT, the ejector stays 100% depressed, it does not emerge from the ejector "slot" at all. I tapped on the bolt for several minutes with a soft mallet to get some vibration going and no movement on the part of the ejector. The spring is obviously not working at all. But any different behavior might be good. Putting bolt back in the KROIL to see what happens next.