Practicing with Night Vision

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I went to my second ever civilian shooting training event …

As before I hit the target pretty well, but was not the speediest by any means. I won one of the exercises, because the rules were, if you missed, even once, you were disqualified. Well, everyone missed but me, so even though my time was the longest, the rules said I won. Even the instructor missed once. The really funny part is that, this exercise involved transitioning between rifle and pistol, which I had never done before. And everyone else missed at least once with the pistol and I did not and I am hardly a good pistol shot.

There were six students and three instructors or assistants. There were four declared first responders in the group. Two KBI agents (in the instructor group) and an EMT and a fireman, in the student group. So we were well prepared!!! And there were two giant trauma kits and one smaller one.

I had to switch to the (plastic) iron sights twice. Once was when we were shooting from a new position they called “junk yard”. This was where we laid the rifle on its side (ejection port facing the sky) and tried to hit the target. I couldn’t see the eotech reticle, so I flipped “out” the iron sites and engaged with those. In that case, I just wasn’t looking at the eotech at the right angle. I left the iron sights up. Later I was shooting at a target and the eotech reticle disappeared, so I switched to iron sites. Later I turned the eotech on and it came on. It had gotten turned off while I was shooting it. How could that happen!!?? Only two things I can think of … either I magically pushed both buttons at the same time (which I find hard to do even when I’m trying to do it) or the eotech shut off due to recoil. But I suspect that should not happen.

I fired 232 rounds of 5.56 and 41 rounds of .45acp, certainly the most rounds I’ve ever fired in one day (not including army shooting).

The new serpa holster worked great. I say that, because I was completely unaware of it other than a place to reach for my pistol and a place to put it back when done shooting. I guess that is how it is supposed to work. I did not shoot myself in the leg ?.

I learned that my whole life, I’ve been carrying slung rifles on the “wrong side” … as one of the KBI guys told me. So I tried carrying it on the other side.

My “idiot” moment of the day occurred at 4:45am when I tossed two gloves in my pack right before I headed out. It turned out they were both right hand gloves and if anything I needed one left hand glove, not two right hand gloves. I wore it on my left hand anyway, but these are pretty tight gloves and it was difficult to manipulate the bolt release, so I switched hands when I had to lock the bolt to the rear.

It was the most tiring day I’ve had in a long time (in a good sense). I was on my feet for 97% of 7 hours, on gravel. I was getting up and down and running around (most activities were timed). A typical exercise, was run to spot “A”, shoot targets X and Y 3 rounds each, then run to spot “B” and shoot targets P and Q 2 rounds each … then advance, firing while moving shooting and targets L&M, three rounds each, then switch to pistol and shoot targets F&G, 2 rounds each. It was hard as hecque to remember all the instructions!

For one exercise, we had to pick up two cinder blocks and carry them 25yds and then pickup one rifle magazine and run to the FP, where our rifle was and fire three rounds at a target, from “junk yard” … then run back the 25yds and grab our second mag and run back to our rifle and fire three rounds at a different target from kneeing, then run and get the third mag and back to the rifle and fire three rounds standing at the third target. We did this exercise twice. Oh and this one was a tandem, with two shooters racing against each other side by side in two lanes - as well as the clock. I was up against the instructor both times and he won both times, though it was close the second time. But I think he was huffin’ and puffin’ as much as I was and he is “thirty something” … whereas I am a few weeks beyond that ?.

At the end of the class, I went up to the instructor and asked for “Two things for Joe to work on” … and he said, “Your accuracy is fine … you should work on speeding up your times transitioning between multiple targets … and you should work on making your weapon manipulation more consistent, once I observed you using different hands to clear the weapon”.

He was right about both issues … I am slow on the timed exercises … though that is because I’m focused on doing things the right way and also on hitting the target … but I agree I need to speed up at some point. And I was using the wrong hands to clear the weapon, because I had the wrong glove! :D I made no excuses … I accepted the feedback, after all, I had requested it !

Thank goodness I had no ammo issues this time … and no stoppages at all, except the ones induced by the instructors putting dummy rounds in our mags at random spots to force practice clearing stoppages. I had done a thorough cleaning and oiling the night before. I used lake city XM193 55gr 5.56 ammo. I only use three types of ammo in this rifle all equivalent to military rounds … the 55gr and 62gr green tips are from lake city and the 77gr SMKs are Black Hills. I’ve never had a problem firing any of these three rounds through the 5.56 rifle so I am sticking with them, when it counts. I might get some tracer rounds one day, we used to shoot those in the army at night and that was interesting, but they are not cheap, about $1 a piece, so hasn’t become a priority.

So, I got some needed exercise in stamina. I repeated my early class performance in being able to shut out any and all distractions, others shooting, others shouting, and focus on running the weapons and hitting the targets. From my perspective, this was what I did well, better than average … better than I do when shooting on my own land (why is that?). Firsts were firing from the draw from the Serpa holster, transitioning from rifle to pistol and the “junk yard” shooting position as well as running the sling on the “right” shoulder.
I repeated (from the first class) the issue with the eotech not being visible on occasion and having to transition to iron sights and that was successful. It was well worth the time and money to take myself out of my normal routine and do something else … with other shooters and see how I stack up. In truth, everyone that shot today was about equal. I was a little more likely to hit the target, but everyone else was faster, not so much in moving, but in shooting. But on balance, we were all roughly equal in effectiveness.

The follow ups are, drill into what happened to the eotech … that sucker is supposed to be the personification of reliability … did I do something wrong? And to figure out a way to practice firing at multiple targets under the clock. And to remember to take two pairs of gloves, so hopefully I wind up with at least one left hand glove !!!

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
2014-11-09
2200-2330
50F
5-8 mph SW

Goal: Practice with 7.62 rifle with both ir-laser and thermal.

Environment: Full moon, very bright out there. Cloud cover was pretty solid, obscuring about 40% of the light from the moon. No stars visible. But pastures still very lite up.

Equipment: 7.62 with ir-laser, thermal, sling, full kit including .45acp, lrf, 3x 14 magnifier, pinnacle on left side of ballistic helmet with balaklava, jacket. Pack with food, water and extra ammo for extra weight. One quart canteen.

Activity: Having "ejection" issue with 7.62 rifle (I think). After the third stoppage, I called it and returned to base. Everything worked fine except the rifle. I tried the sig sling in the "new" over left shoulder position and it worked fine. I was able to see without NOD, so except when driving I had the 14 off and up. I was able to clear the stoppages with my fingers, with no admin light. I tried my 3 mag pouch, I forget I have that. I'll need more practice to change mags as fast as some guys were doing it in the class. Once I have the mag in my hand, I can do it quickly, but getting it in my hand takes some time. I carried three mags of 5 rounds each, to practice mag changes, but didn't get too far tonight.

This pic is result when firing HSM 7.62 168gr AMAX. I fired about 300rds of this ammo with no issues.

IMAG1217_zps5623d452.jpg

Af first getting this issue last week, one time. I cleaned the rifle. I then had this issue twice, so I cleaned the piston. I then had the issue three times last night. So I torn it down and put it back together again and got the same issue this morning. With the 168gr AMAX, it always looks the same with the empty case sticking out of the ejection port. A partially feed round is half in the magazine and half not in the magazine.

==

I also have a little bit of 125gr Hornady ammo, so I tried that and got this result.

IMAG1218_zpsb02c6eee.jpg

==

In all cases, I am able to put the rifle on safe. I think that means the BCG is going all the way to the rear. Plus I think the fact that a round is half way fed also means the BCG had to go all the way to the rear. Testing with different ammo should rule out the ammo/primers, I think. So that should leave the "ejector" mechanism. Unfortunately, my level 0 armorer skills don't cover correction of this issue. I broke my favorite rifle! :(:(:(

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Is the case sized right, w the bolt locked back will a rd fall into the chamber?

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Yes. These are factory rounds. I have fired both of these batches of ammo out of this rifle (and others) and yes a rd will fall in to the chamber. Since the problem started I can usually fire 3-5 rounds of the 168gr AMAX out of a magazine prior to the problem happening. This morning, it was 5rds I was able to fire (quickly) before the problem happened as shown in the upper pic.

The one time I tried the 125gr ammo, the problem happened with the first round. That is a LITE load, so the behavior was a little different, as shown in the lower pic.

I have put the bolt in an appropriately sized plastic paint mixing bowl with about a jigger's worth of KROIL in there. I will let it soak for 24 hours and then try to work the ejector ... let it dry ... put a dab of oil on it and repeat the test. Unless anyone can come up with a better idea!

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Post pic of bolt face.
Post pic of cartridge (looking at primer) use one that did not eject properly.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah could be some trash in the bolt face and under the spring.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Ok, after about 22 hours in the KROIL, here is a pic of the bolt and then also (not having been in the KROIL) a pic of one of the cases, failing to eject, 168gr AMAX.

I note two "imperfections" on the case. At about 8 o'clock there is a smaller pimple beside the larger center pimple. Of course the larger center one was caused by the firing pin, but the smaller one at 8 o'clock is unusual. My guess is that was somehow caused by the tip of the next round trying to chamber that's about the only thing I can think of that is right size/shape. At 1 o'clock there is a larger "groove" which I'm guessing was caused by part of the bolt hitting the case.

There are still some droplet's of KROIL on the bolt face, but I don't see any trash.

With the 5.56 bolt, shown farther to the rear, if I pick that up and pick up a screw driver and push in on the ejector, it moves. If I try the same thing with the 7.62 bolt, I couldn't move the ejector yesterday and I cannot today. Maybe it is just stiffer. Or maybe there is something hung up with the spring. But I note that in the pic of the rifle above with the 125gr, the case seems to be solidly flush up against the bolt face, so it looks like the ejector is getting pushed in. I probably just can't push hard enough.

I will dry out the bolt, to get the KROIL off and oil it up a bit and then retest to see if I get lucky, but I am not optimistic. I'm setting my expectations that a replacement of the ejector parts will be required. If I do it, it will be a first for me, but I might try. Gunsmith time around here is more valuable than GOLD. The last time I went in and asked for help I got told "five weeks".

2014-11-10boltandcase_zps431a59df.jpg

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Ok, dried out the bolt and put the gun back together and tried to cycle the gun with a couple of dummy rounds in the magazine. Here is the result:

IMAG1221_zpsbed0c3f3.jpg

After removing the dummy round, I can see that the position of the ejector is "in between" meaning it is not flush with the bolt face and it is not fully extended forward it such a way as to eject the round. So it seems the extractor is pull the round out of the chamber fine, but the ejector is not operating correctly and ejecting the round.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would say so.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Get it

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
GOOD ARTICLE

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
do you have the bolt installed right, looks like it may be reversed in that pic? sometimes it is the most simplest things is the reason I ask.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
2014-11-11
2130-2230
20F
15 MPH NW

Goal: Acclimation walk.

Environment: Temperatures dropped last night and wind remained 10-20 mph from NW today. Tonight the cloud cover was low, no stars and the moon was just starting to rise.

Equipment: I wore (from inside out) tee shirt, light jacket, medium sweater and wet suit top and I was hot. That is what I was wearing last year down to -11F and it worked then, but that was February when I was acclimated. Also had balaklava and gloves. Rifle was .308WIN bolt gun with 25rds, 3.5-10x scope with ir-laser (I will be zeroing the ir-laser on the bolt gun next), .45acp with 25rds, 1 quart canteen, lrf & 3x magnifer for 14 in belt pouch and pack with water, food and extra ammo for weight. Ballistic helmet on head with pinnacle on left side and 720nm filter to use for zeroing the laser. To zero the laser I first zero the scope (night or day) and then at night look through the scope with the reticle illuminated and with the 720nm filter, to allow me to look at the day visible ill ret with the 14. And I was also see the ir-laser through the scope, so I can co-witness. The only reason the scope is on the rifle is to zero the laser. Once the laser is zeroed I will remove the scope to make room for the thermal.

Activity: But tonight was just a walk, across Turkey Creek, up Signal Hill, around the pond and up to hill 1309 and down to the main creek and then back alone the South bank. About 1.5 miles. I wore the balaklava over my nose part of the time, but my body felt hot with all those layers on, but that is fine, that's what I wanted to judge. With the 720nm filter on the pinnacle it seemed darker, the filter has good attributes but it does reduce visibility by a detectable amount.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
do you have the bolt installed right, looks like it may be reversed in that pic? sometimes it is the most simplest things is the reason I ask.
No problem, I appreciate any/all suggestions to help solve the problem. Just to make sure I checked and on this 7.62 the bolt will not go in backwards if I try to put the cam pin in to the bolt from the wrong side (with the extractor in position to be facing away from the ejection port) the cam pin will not go in and I took it apart and tried it again just now to make sure. And that is true on my 5.56 rifle as well. I thought this was true on all the AR type rifles, but I haven't tried them all, so I'm not sure. :)
As to the article's words on the strength of the ejector spring, well I guess there are at least two ideas. The article says the ejector spring should not be too strong, but I've been advised by others to get a stronger one, so two schools of thought apparently! But before I get a new spring/ejector I will let the tool arrive and remove the ejector and spring and clean the relevant areas and retest with the dummy ammo.
As I said above, I cannot depress the ejector with my hands or using a large allen wrench. But my ejector sub-system is having problems, so I can't say if it is possible to depress it manually when it is working normally. On my 5.56 rifle I can depress it. That rifle has a BCM BCG, the 7.62 rifle has a Sig BCG.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have noticed some of mine have more tension than others. I keep a bolt in each rifle and a spare or 2 for each caliber.