Pigs always squeal when hit? (assuming they aren't DRT)

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You can say that again.

witch's wail

And a
Pick ME! Pick Me!
You also need a
Forensic Pathologist to do the post Mort. CNS hits are DRT, no noise, maybe some leg flops, my experience a gut shot or extremity shot hog will let out a brief squall, unlike bears and the death moan which usually they at times vocalize if mortally wounded , I have not seen this in hogs.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
And a
You also need a
Forensic Pathologist to do the post Mort. CNS hits are DRT, no noise, maybe some leg flops, my experience a gut shot or extremity shot hog will let out a brief squall, unlike bears and the death moan which usually they at times vocalize if mortally wounded , I have not seen this in hogs.

I have quite a bit of anatomy background, particularly in osteology, but that came with the anatomy courses.

CNS shots are not necessarily DRT. CNS, central nervous system, refers to the brain, brain stem, and spinal cord. You most definitely can make CNS shots where the hogs squeals. This is especially true with many spinal cord hits that may cripple the hog, particularly the back end, and leave the hog squealing, upright, and trying to run. Shots that impact the brain or brain stem, but that do insufficient damage (seen it happen) may result in the hog squealing before succumbing.

Length of squealing may depend on many factors, including the level of pain, panic, sex, age, membership in a sounder, and personality of the individual hog.

Here is a CNS hit hog, spinal shot, squealing (1:54)