Pigs always squeal when hit? (assuming they aren't DRT)

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting Tactics & Tips' started by whitehotmist, Dec 11, 2017.

1. whitehotmist

whitehotmist LSB Member

Had a pig on the run at about 250yds.. swear I heard the THWACK twice of 10 with a 308, but didn't hear a squeal. Do they always squeal when hit? It was a big f'er...

2. der Teufel

der Teufel Livin' the Dream … SUS VENATOR CLUB

Generally (there may be exceptions) when hogs squeal it means you did not hit the lungs. If you put a bullet through their lungs they have a tough time squealing.

3. slim_shady

slim_shady LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

My experience, they usually don't squeal. Not sure why. But I admit, I like to hear them squeal when they do.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  4. RattlesnakeDan

RattlesnakeDan San Antonio Texas LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Got hit em' in the squeeker to get them to squeel!

chthump and der Teufel like this.
  5. fanninland

fanninland LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

It just may be me, but it seems for some reason sows and younger pigs seem to squeal more often than large lone boars who many times go quietly.

I guess this might be b/c my first shot on a lone boar has greater probability of DRT as opposed to follow up “all hell just broke loose” shots on running sows and piglets where shot placement isn’t as accurate.

6. jglass

jglass LSB Member

I don't usually hear them squeal when shot.

7. Brian Shaffer

Brian Shaffer Pro Staff Third Coast Thermal SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

In my experience, they may squeal if you hit them anywhere but the both lungs, but they often/usually do not squeal.

8. Bakester

Bakester LSB Active Member SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Id say my squealer number is about 5%. Doesnt happen a lot but is kinda satisfying when it does. My most memorable squealer was when I got on a group of 4 pigs. Big sow and 3 medium size. Shot the sow first and the other 3 just stood there till I opened up on them. Dropped two but winged one and he took off screaming out of his mind. He almost ran the full perimeter of a 300 acre field screaming the whole time. No idea where I hit him cause we never looked for him but would have loved to know what button I punched to get that reaction. Anchoring spine shots seem to get some squeals.

9. ZenArchery

ZenArchery LSB Active Member SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

I think I can count on my hand times when they haven't but everyone of those shots where in the neck where I believe I destroyed their vocal chords.

10. Jhop

Jhop LSB Active Member SUS VENATOR CLUB

After talking with some of the guys I hunt with we came to the conclusion that the pigs don't squeal when shot in the neck or ear hole. However we have had them squeal when shot through the snout. They really squeal when you gut shoot them. They also squeal when you shoot them in the backside when they run off. Ive spine shot a number of pigs in the back or just in front of the hips. They squeal too. You just never know which pigs will squeal and which ones won't.

11. RattlesnakeDan

RattlesnakeDan San Antonio Texas LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Maybe I should see if I can get a gov't grant to study when and why hogs squeal when shot. A couple hundred k a year should suffice.

12. slim_shady

slim_shady LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

200k might be a little light for the work involved. Better put in for 400k!

13. der Teufel

And I'm pretty sure you'll need an assistant (ahem!) …

RattlesnakeDan likes this.
  14. KJQ6945

KJQ6945 LSB Member

Or two.........

15. whitehotmist

whitehotmist LSB Member

Or three...

16. Brian Shaffer

Brian Shaffer Pro Staff Third Coast Thermal SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

And a bookkeeper.

der Teufel likes this.
  17. der Teufel

We're gonna need more money …

18. RattlesnakeDan

You guys are funny! And probably serious.

Curly Shuffle likes this.
  19. KJQ6945

KJQ6945 LSB Member

And an ammo sponsor. You know, for research purposes. We're gonna have to shoot a lot of hogs until we really know what all the squealing is about.

Then start over, just to be sure.

20. slim_shady

Pick ME! Pick Me!

21. slim_shady

Pick ME! Pick Me!

22. slim_shady

Pick ME! Pick Me!