Opening day of Gun season is Saturday

RevMS

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Of course! Yesterday I set up a new tripod shooting stand overlooking some oaks that seem to be the big draw for the deer right now ... corn is piling up under the feeder! Going out at noon today to relocate the feeder and a ground blind for later in rifle season.

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I will be out there. Been having a nice young 8 point at my feeder not going to shoot him as he is only a 3 year old but will have the video camera and tripod in tow for a different kind of shooting. The bucks have been running here for the past week and it's supposed to be in the mid 40's in the morning plus the moon has been small and dim all week, so that should be the perfect combination for a great opening morning. Colby W is working nights on a rig right now which kind of killed the plans. His family leases a few hundred acres directly across from my house and him and I were suppose to be going out there. But as they say, "duty calls". So now I will be sitting back behind my house. I have 2 feeders and protein but they haven't been getting much activity. Keeping my fingers crossed that I will at least see deer.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I hope I get to hunt tomorrow. Been able to since Sept 27th and still haven't had time to go hunting even though I now live on the ranch! I'll be crossing my fingers.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yea all my extra time is going to the house we are building. Between that and work I am swamped more than normal. I'm gonna have to try the old 4 day work week thing again. It shouldn't be hard to get at least 10hrs a day.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm stuck at work till next week, but going to Mason Mountain soon.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Bow season is already here Gen Gun starts Thanksgiving. Plots started coming in, was out today and saw 4 deer on my back plot, no I don't bow hunt.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Got the truck all packed up with all my gear and food to hold me over till Tuesday. Headed out there in a few hours.

I checked the corn and can a couple of weeks ago, hopefully coons didn't mess things up again. I will report what happens upon my return.

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good luck everyone! Looking forward to stories and pictures.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good luck guys deer have been bedded down all night. Hogs and yoyes are moving though!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
What did you get drawn for at mason mountain?
Got selected for a management deer hunt. 6 pts or less or anterless only. But hey, it took 8 years for that and at least it's venison.

RevMS

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
He's not as big as some of the ones that were on my game cameras before archery season, but this nice hill country 8-point is in the cooler and at the taxi (my first buck).

2014-11-01_09_03_52.jpg

He succumbed to a 110 Accubond at about 100 yards. He and a couple other similar sized bucks were chasing the does around my feeder. He ran about 20 yards and flipped over. He then got up and started slowly walking the opposite direction toward the deep puckerbrush so I put a second one through him from the other side as an anchoring shot ... he went another 20 yards and crashed, this time for good.

That's the Savage Axis with the *** barrel I built for my son wearing the Silencerco Harvester. Don't know if this is normal deer behavior, but all the other deer hung around throughout the whole process of both shots and his demise. Once he crashed the other bucks kept at their task of chasing does like nothing happened. I could have easily taken a couple more before they ran off.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats, nice buck for the table.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Venison for the Parrish, can't get better that that!