Opening day of Gun season is Saturday

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Awesome Rev! and congrats on your first buck! no hunting for me today and probably not tomorrow morning either. I'm hoping for tomorrow evening though.

It's amazing how bucks are oblivious to almost everything when chasing tail. I've been as close as 10 yards while 2 bucks were fighting when my brain finally kicked in and told me to back up before I got run over. They never even knew I was there.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good luck to everyone!
Wassman, I feel your pain on the coons.
Nice buck rev, congrats!
Chris, and frank... Actually everyone, what county are u guys hunting-- just wondering since the rut tends to vary depending on the location. The rut at my dad's place in Real co. Typically starts about 2-3 weeks later than the majority of Texas. The bucks are just starting to play out there

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In FL here Blake , rut starts in Jan, Feb

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Congrats on the nice first buck.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Too bad you cannot take them at night w thermal.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Well no hunting for me this weekend:(. The wife sat this evening though. She saw 3 bucks we have on the hit list. It was barely bright enough for her to see them in her binos but too dark to see them in her scope so no shot. Guess they get to run around till next time.

Chris

LSB Member
Im in Grimes county. I just went out Saturday morning...in the blind at 615 and left at 10. Didnt see anything. Im gonna try and make a weekend trip next weekend.

RevMS

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Went out again this evening ... even though the wind was all wrong for my rifle stand. Saw several deer ... a few bucks chasing tail ... though none of the does got into a decent place to shoot ... until this big girl wandered up on my left just after sunset. She stopped about 30 yards away so I swung around and put the cross-hairs on the base of her neck. A 110 Accubond from my original Titan/*** Xtreme did a spinectomy on her and she dropped DRT.

2014-11-02_18_58_14.jpg

Not a bad opening weekend ... between the two I took this weekend, the one my son got last weekend, and the button buck I got a month ago with the bow I'm gonna need a bigger freezer!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice meat doe right there, congrats.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good going, full freezer just need some pork to go with it.

RevMS

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good going, full freezer just need some pork to go with it.

Yep, got a friend with access to some places with hogs too ... that's next. My Saker ought to be here this week as well. Then it's sausage making time!

RevMS

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
He's not as big as some of the ones that were on my game cameras before archery season, but this nice hill country 8-point is in the cooler and at the taxi (my first buck).

2014-11-01_09_03_52.jpg

He succumbed to a 110 Accubond at about 100 yards. He and a couple other similar sized bucks were chasing the does around my feeder. He ran about 20 yards and flipped over. He then got up and started slowly walking the opposite direction toward the deep puckerbrush so I put a second one through him from the other side as an anchoring shot ... he went another 20 yards and crashed, this time for good.

That's the Savage Axis with the *** barrel I built for my son wearing the Silencerco Harvester. Don't know if this is normal deer behavior, but all the other deer hung around throughout the whole process of both shots and his demise. Once he crashed the other bucks kept at their task of chasing does like nothing happened. I could have easily taken a couple more before they ran off.

Here he is in the living room.

2015-02-18_16_10_50.jpg

2015-02-18_16_10_14.jpg

I think Ron at Karasek Taxidermy in Hamilton did a great job on him!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very Nice..he did a good job

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Heck ya. Nice lookin buck and a nice lookin mount. The taxidermy guy did a good job!!:) BANG BANG!!!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now for the Euro hog mount!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That's a nice buck for first or any. Now what will you do for an encore?

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter