NEW MEMBER TULSA AREA

hans hessler

HEY GUYS:
Newbe here! Just started huntin da Hogs! Totally into it. No blood on the
ground as of yet. Hunting grounds in SE OK 2 1/2 hrs drive from here. Can't
make it each week unfortunately, weather other things etc. Looking to get
down there the weekend of 25-26. I know I can learn lots from those of you
whom are veterans popin da piggies.
I have a IR I use in addition to my Vortex 3X scope mounted on my AR.
I thought I read a post that said when using a IR that you should shine the light
on the pigs from ground to them, not from above them, then down to them.
Any comments on that.
Thanks;
Hans

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome! Ignore a guy named DJ on this site. In his efforts to become a proctologist he has to give a certain number of free exams and is looking for new test subjects.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Welcome. When I was using lights, I would turn the light on aimed up above them and gradually lower the light/weapon until I could engage them. It didn't seem to spook them that way. Mainly, avoid ever turning the light on while aimed directly at them unless you want to shoot running pigs.

Cazz

US Army Veteran, Hunting Addict
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the fray !!

Cazz

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
HEY GUYS:
Newbe here! Just started huntin da Hogs! Totally into it. No blood on the
ground as of yet. Hunting grounds in SE OK 2 1/2 hrs drive from here. Can't
make it each week unfortunately, weather other things etc. Looking to get
down there the weekend of 25-26. I know I can learn lots from those of you
whom are veterans popin da piggies.
I have a IR I use in addition to my Vortex 3X scope mounted on my AR.
I thought I read a post that said when using a IR that you should shine the light
on the pigs from ground to them, not from above them, then down to them.
Any comments on that.
Thanks;
Hans

With my IR I try to 1) keep the illuminator on the lowest possible intensity that will still allow me to see and 2) move the scope from the pigs rear toward the neck to shoot, not from the head backward. Often they will see the light moving and will haul butt.
Happy hunting!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome.
Never tried from the ground up but drop slowly from the sky to the target has been the style I use with green lights.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome Okie

hans hessler

Welcome. When I was using lights, I would turn the light on aimed up above them and gradually lower the light/weapon until I could engage them. It didn't seem to spook them that way. Mainly, avoid ever turning the light on while aimed directly at them unless you want to shoot running pigs.

Thanks for the info! I could see where aiming the light at them when facing you could
spook, drive them off!

hans hessler

With my IR I try to 1) keep the illuminator on the lowest possible intensity that will still allow me to see and 2) move the scope from the pigs rear toward the neck to shoot, not from the head backward. Often they will see the light moving and will haul butt.
Happy hunting!

Cazz:
I'm assuming from your reply that shining the light from head to tail will spook them the most!

Hans

Cazz

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cazz:
I'm assuming from your reply that shining the light from head to tail will spook them the most!

Hans
I've seen them bolt as soon as the illuminator is pointed near their eyes. I assume they are seeing the movement of the red beam.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Glad you found us!

You stated "IR" - I interpret that to mean infrared.

But the Vortex appears to be a standard daylight scope – in which case, the IR would not be effective.

So... If you're using a red or green light, you already have a few solid tips.

I would suggest an element that is missing from most scope light sets -- a shroud.

(After several improvisations and purchases, I went with a very simple and effective solution -- a short section of reinforced radiator hose that slides on to the light and stays secure).

It really helps to shroud your scope light for a couple of reasons.

First, the outer beam ("halo") of the light is so large that it will illuminate the end of your rifle barrel and a large amount of the area in front of you. If there are obstacles nearby, such as trees and brush, it can result in the bounce back of the light, which can cause some problems with your vision.

It can also throw unnecessary shadows which can spook game.

Finally, with the increased use of feeder and scope lights over the last several years, many hogs have become very edgy about any kind of light being shown on them.

The best use of the shroud is to first to make sure that the area below the brightest area ("hotspot") of the beam is just above the reticle of your scope.

When targeting, slowly lower the light from above onto the hog. When the lower part of the beam ("halo") provides sufficient illumination, you're ready to go.

Last edited:

hans hessler

Glad you found us!

You stated "IR" - I interpret that to mean infrared.

But the Vortex appears to be a standard daylight scope – in which case, the IR would not be effective.

So... If you're using a red or green light, you already have a few solid tips.

I would suggest an element that is missing from most scope light sets -- a shroud.

(After several improvisations and purchases, I went with a very simple and effective solution -- a short section of reinforced radiator hose that slides on to the light and stays secure).

It really helps to shroud your scope light for a couple of reasons.

First, the outer beam ("halo") of the light is so large that it will illuminate the end of your rifle barrel and a large amount of the area in front of you. If there are obstacles nearby, such as trees and brush, it can result in the bounce back of the light, which can cause some problems with your vision.

It can also throw unnecessary shadows which can spook game.

Finally, with the increased use of feeder and scope lights over the last several years, many hogs have become very edgy about any kind of light being shown on them.

The best use of the shroud is to first to make sure that the area below the brightest area ("hotspot") of the beam is just above the reticle of your scope.

When targeting, slowly lower the light from above onto the hog. When the lower part of the beam ("halo") provides sufficient illumination, you're ready to go.

Lonepunman:

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. So, the shroud needs to be on the front
part of the illuminator, from what I gather reading your post. How long does the radiator
hose need to be to improve the effectiveness of the IR illuminator? Again thanks for your reply!

Hans

D

djones

Welcome! Ignore a guy named DJ on this site. In his efforts to become a proctologist he has to give a certain number of free exams and is looking for new test subjects.
don't mind scram. his ass is jealous because of the amount of crap that comes out of his mouth. and the only reason frankT 'liked' his post is because he's the only one who can get his head far enough up his ass to see things from scram's point of view. OinK can say whatever he wants. he's my boss.

welcome!!

Last edited by a moderator: