DIY scope light shroud

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg A new member asked about a shroud for a scope light.

Searching the forum, I found very solid advice in using scope lights, but not actually in buying or making one.

After several improvisations and purchases, I found a very simple, inexpensive and effective solution -- a short section of reinforced radiator hose that slides on to the light and stays fairly secure.

(As you would probably guess, the on reinforced end of the hose goes over the light).

I have found that it really helps to shroud a scope light for a couple of reasons.

First, the outer beam ("halo") of the light is so large that it will illuminate the end of your rifle barrel and a large amount of the area in front of you. If there are obstacles nearby, such as trees and brush, it can result in the bounce back of the light, which can cause some problems with your vision.

It can also throw unnecessary shadows which can spook game.

Finally, with the increased use of feeder and scope lights over the last several years, many hogs have become very edgy about any kind of light being shown on them.

The best use of the shroud is to first to make sure that the area below the brightest area ("hotspot") of the beam is just above the reticle of your scope.

Remember, you don't need to have the hog completely illuminated to get a decent shot – just enough to light him up without spooking him. Hopefully.

(Any type of shroud has a tendency to move shift with movement or pressure (this may include recoil); you will need to take a few moments before the hunt and every so often to make sure that your light remains aligned with your reticle).

When targeting, slowly lower the light from above onto the hog. When the lower part of the beam ("halo") provides sufficient illumination, you're ready to go.

Last edited:
D

djones

that's a good idea. i think that would be much better than the 'socks' that you can get for weapon lights

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My wife was wondering why there was a big chunk of her $80 Rawhide lampshade missing. Should have just used her radiator hose!