Large Boar with Video Fail

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
He taped out at 42" I couldn't remember what that worked out to be, but I we both thought he was a lot heavier than that, so we decided to drag him all the way back to the skinning area and put him on a scale. Unfortunately, I was convinced I finally made it into the SV club but it wasn't to be again. He only weighed out at 210 on the scale. He was so thick and barrel chested we were sure he would weigh a lot more than that.

This is one of those real life statements that says a lot about using tape estimations. They aren't perfect as there is some room for variance in the statistical result, but the error tends to be small (~5-6% here), but that is going to be a lot more accurate than eyeball estimates and hauling estimates. They are accurate enough and consistent enough to be reliable at providing a good estimate of the actual weight without the hassles of having to have the gear to hoist the hog (which often isn't possible in remote areas). Now if money or competition records are on the line, then a scale is the only way to go, but for most of us, this method is just fine.

Just curious, how much more did you think the hog weighed? Not poking fun at you being wrong. I always like to guess before measuring or scaling to see how close I am. Sometimes I do real well. Once in a while, I am not close. I thought my 270 lb hog (the one I could not get out of the creek) might have been as much as 230 lbs.

The settings are the same as I used last month to make the first video and nothing has been changed since then. Any helpful hints will be greatly appreciated. I would hate to think my recording capabilities have only lasted one hunt.

You are using the same cable as well? If so, then as noted above, I am guessing that you didn't get the cable plugged in all the way. Could you run a test, verifying that the cable is in properly at both the scope and the dvr and see if the video comes out correctly?

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice head shot. Nice hog.
Don't know what the recording failure is but when I had loose cable I took a "Live Strong" wristband. Put a little hole through wristband. Cut cable. Put cable through hole of wristband. Saudered/taped cable. Wrapped wristband around NV. Plugged in. Never came out. If you don't want to cut and sauder. You can order or go to Radio Shack and purchase a matching Female to Male L shaped adapter. Do the same thing.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ok, ran another couple tests checking and re-checking the security of the cable connections and settings. SAME RESULTS I even had the screen on and plugged and unplugged the cable connections and wiggled them around to see if the video cleared up at any time. NO GO. Still don't have any idea which of the three components are to blame. I even changed to a brand new set of batteries "just in case" with no different outcome. The screen on the camera when turned on shows the same as what is being recorded, but the scope is perfectly clear.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Brian, I thought based on the thickness and how solid he was, that he would top 250 easily. When I walked up on him, there wasn't any ground shrinkage, he looked massive. Especially when I had to go into the briars just to get a rope on a leg.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dave,
I don't believe there are any firmware updates for the DVR and even if there were, that should not be at issue.

I would try the next lower setting on the dvr for resolution and see if that changes things. No harm in trying.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
R u using the Anker external battery pack? Or just 2 CR 123s? Maybe try using 3 batteries?