Large Boar with Video Fail

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Last time I went to my buddy's place in MS I set up a pig barrel and asked him to check on it every now and then and let me know if anythings is messing with it. I called him when I was driving home from work to see how things were going in the previous couple weeks and asked if he had checked on the barrel yet. He hadn't and told me he would check the next day. He called back the next day and was all excited because the barrel had been completely emptied and the ground was torn up in a neat circle. I got permission from the primary event planner to make a quick trip. My first night was uneventful except for the lessons learned. After getting set up for the evening, I checked to make sure the remote would work on my video recorder. (it didn't work last time due to a dead battery) Nothing worked this time. I couldn't even turn the recorder manually. Turns out that not checking the battery for a full charge before driving 6 hours isn't a good idea. New pre-hunt checklist item check battery charge. Night 2, settled in and checked recorder. Great! Everything turns on like it should. About 9 pm, a large raccoon showed up and rummaged around the feeder area for what seemed like days. Around 9:30, I picked up the thermal spotter and at first thought the raccoon was coming right at my blind. (a pop-up ground blind) It turned out to be a large boar cruising through the area. I turned on the IRD Hunter MKII and checked the settings to make sure it was ready to record and turned on the recorder. The boar was moving away from me and was about 60 yds away and looked like he was going to leave the area without even touching the feed. For the longest time, all I had was a Texas Heart Shot, so I waited a little longer. He finally turned sideways as though he was making one last check of the area so I took the shot. I tried for a head shot, not wanting to have to pursue a hog into the thick swampy brush. He went right down with the shot. I stayed on him for what seemed like forever waiting to make sure he didn't try to get up. He did a short curly shuffle and a lot of leg twitches before he finally quit moving. This time, I called my buddy to get some help getting him back to the skinning rack. When I went to check the boar, he looked huge. We drug him out of the thick stuff. (turns out, he was about 10 ft into the thick brush when I shot him, but it wasn't visible on the thermal) He taped out at 42" I couldn't remember what that worked out to be, but I we both thought he was a lot heavier than that, so we decided to drag him all the way back to the skinning area and put him on a scale. Unfortunately, I was convinced I finally made it into the SV club but it wasn't to be again. He only weighed out at 210 on the scale. He was so thick and barrel chested we were sure he would weigh a lot more than that. He was gnarly and very STANKY so we decided to donate him to the TBPS. Just doing my part to help out those poor birds. Besides, they have been eyeing little kids around there so we made a sacrifice to save the children.

I could not find the entry wound and there was no exit wound. This is the first time that I did not get a pass through on a hog with the 6.8SPC and 120SST ammo. Must have been some nasty CNS trauma going on in that head though.

Now, the bad news. When I got back to the cabin, the video was completely unusable. I will try to post the video when I can finally get it uploaded to hopefully get someone's help. I don't have another mdvr to check to see if the scope output is ok or if the cable is messed up or if the mdvr is messed up. When looking at the mdvr screen, the picture is off-set to the side and things like scope legends are put in different places. The settings are the same as I used last month to make the first video and nothing has been changed since then. Any helpful hints will be greatly appreciated. I would hate to think my recording capabilities have only lasted one hunt.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I agree he look more than 210...nice hog though, I would have taken the back straps !

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great boar and good hunt! 42" tape converts to 220lbs so right there close. Not sure what could be causing your recorder issues, do you have another device with an output you could check the mdvr with? Sounds more like a device output issue.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The only other device I have is an X320, but no cable to attach it to the mdvr.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice boar there. Will the "War Department" let you come home without more fresh wild pork to cook up for her?

You'll get the video stuff sorted out, I gots faith in yaz, Kemosabe.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had this issue when I first got my 35mm MkII. I can't recall exactly what it was. R u using the MDVR from UNV?? I will grab my scope and recorder and let u know what settings mine is on to get it to work.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
OK, here is the video link. I promise, he was centered in the view the whole time.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice boar there. Will the "War Department" let you come home without more fresh wild pork to cook up for her?

You'll get the video stuff sorted out, I gots faith in yaz, Kemosabe.
She's still not sold on the wild stuff, but she cooked us up some of the pork, rice and gravy yesterday with half/half domestic and wild. She ate as much as I did, so there is hope.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I didn't want you to see it RD. I have an image to uphold. lol I don't know what to do, it shows on my 'puter just fine.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
IRD IR Hunter MKII menu settings:
Frame rate- 60 hz
Video out- on
Batteries- 2 each (I have the Anker external battery pack from UNV that will run the scope on constantly for I think 14 hours straight).

UNV MDVR settings:
**Recorder settings
mode->video
Sensitivity-> high
Resolution-> 720x576
Video quality-> high
Frame rate-> 30 fps
Overwrite-> off

**System setting
video output-> LCD

Version "B357.13.01.15

I bought this MDVR I think 3 summers ago and haven't updated the firmware or anything (I just noticed that that's an option on the recorder when I checked the settings just now).

Good luck! Keep me posted on if this helps and/or u get it working.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The settings that I used are the same for the scope, and the mdvr I have is from **** (night goggles). My settings are the same except the resolution I had set one level lower and I don't have the sensitivity or resolution settings on mine.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
IF... I remember correctly, it was the 30 hz vs 60 hz and/or the 2 vs 3 batteries the scopes settings were set to.... But it took several videos of a blank screen and a couple jacked up ones like the one u just posted and changing settings to finally get it.... And then a couple hunts to remember to set the scopes settings (mainly the recorder "on" setting) properly as soon as powering up the thermal.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I didn't want you to see it RD. I have an image to uphold. lol I don't know what to do, it shows on my 'puter just fine.
Well... yer clutch is slippin' (as is your videography career's). It shows up now, but, yer right... it's jacked. I'll blame it on the **** equipment. LOL

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Perhaps the cord was partially unplugged???
I've been able to record a blank screen with only sound bc of that (IRD IR Hunter MKII) and also once got a really jacked up image that showed no detail and just a jacked up black blob where the hog was on the video screen until I shot the hog (w1000).. Then as soon as I shot the image came back on with the tree line, feeder and a curly shuffling hog...of course I didn't know any of this looking through the scopes correct image while I was shooting.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well... yer clutch is slippin' (as is your videography career's). It shows up now, but, yer right... it's jacked. I'll blame it on the **** equipment. LOL

U might actually be right RD. I can't recall for sure so there may be no legitimacy to this, but a few months ago I called IRD and talked to ??Paul?? I think, for a good while. He might be the top dawg over there... He answered both or all three times I've called them over the past few months... Super helpful, informative, down to earth, nice guy.

Anyways, I might remember him telling me that the MKII has issues playing nicely with other DVRS that aren't the UNV MDVR. But it's possible that the guys at UNV told me that... Or even possibly that I dreamt that up out of thin air.. Sorry my memory is failing me...

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I will try to pull the plugs out and re-install and try to video tomorrow. I did try another video after I got home while checking the settings and to see that the plugs were seated in the jacks and got the same thing.

MUST.....GET.....SLEEP!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yer too young to have yer clutch slippin' Blake. LOL

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Really good write up of your hunt there CD.
Very respectable Hog that you whacked. I sure hope you can get the video issues sorted out.