Kamikaze Cruiser

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice hunt Alex! Not quite as scary as an attack dillo sliding to a stop 5 ft from you though. :rolleyes: I wonder if I have the stones to stand there and try to stay on the target knowing that it wants to kill me if it can. A dillo is one thing, but a really pissed off tank with razors for weapons is quite another.

I barely had the stones. However, I knew if I didn't stay in the scope I would be moving blind. It's hard to run and dodge something you can't see. I was on one knee when he came at me and my last ditch plan was to roll to the side at the very last second then try to engage him again. I'm glad it didn't come to evasive actions, because I don't have a clue if it would have worked.

Think about how hard a 275 pound NFL linebacker hits at 8-10 mph. Compare that to a knee high, 210 pound boar with razors up front and running 30 mph! BAD NEWS!

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Boy this would have been a big hit on Utube if there was video on it!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A long time ago in a land far far away called Duvalle County I was with some friends shooting Javalina . My weapon was a Marlin 357 magnum lever action. The only experience I had with hogs was messing with the farm hogs at a buddies place. We used to harass the big sow and let her throw us over the fence. Not smart but young! As we walked into a almost dry pound area through a tunnel of thick brush one of my buddies shoots with his 22 magnum. I hear a loud grunt and this 200 pound class sow comes running out of the brush. My other buddy shoots once and leaves. I think I'm Lucas McCain and drop to one knee and start shooting. I can see the mud flying off of the hog, but she don't stop. She ran straight at me and I put two into her chest and then one to her head. She slid to a stop about five feet from me. I levered the rifle on last time and it was empty. One 22 magnum and twelve 357 magnums. My buddies where standing up on the bank calling by all kinds of stupid names. I asked them what their problem was as I was only in her escape route. They advised me they make their own escape route and she was trying to kill me. I laughed this off.

The ranch hands heard the shooting and came to see what we had. They took the hog back for tamales. I could hear them laughing and went to see what was so funny. I had been shooting 140 grain Speer hollow points and they were right up against the rib cage. A few made it through but not enough to kill her.

That night we went back to the same pond. I had a Remington 1100 slug gun and a brand spanking new Streamlite as they had just come out. We see a big hog walking across the white sand and I tell me buddy to turn it on. He turns on the light and one of the biggest hogs I have ever seen is standing about fifteen yards from us. I raise up the gun and he turns the light off. I'm screaming for him to turn it back on as now I'm blinded. I hear a bunch of crashing through the brush and then nothing. The next morning we went back and I saw his "escape route" he made. This made me rethink how bad these animals can be.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but thought it would be interesting.
I love hog stories!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Boy this would have been a big hit on Utube if there was video on it!

As soon as I have saved my pennies I will be recording with a thermal scope. Just gotta keep working towards that goal. I wish I could have gotten the x320 setup in time.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Nice Alex. That makes for an exciting night, I suppose can get scary too. I don't have the opportunity for open area hunting like you and TLM, but had to track a wounded boar last night.

Me with MS, my legs were shot, have a hard time holding the gun up. I scanned every few feet while I was looking, I didn't need any surprises. As stated above, I'm bringing my shotgun next time.

I finally went back to camp, grabbed my Dogo, headed back out. He starts tracking, then all hell breaks loose. We ran in to a sounder of hogs, away he goes, chasing hogs everywhere. Glad I put his tracking collar on him, called him back when he was 350 yards out. I had two hogs run by me within 10 feet.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now Dave, other than falling that sounds like a fun exciting night...ever find the boar?? Even Dora got some exercise, are there other hunters in camp?

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This is a great thread. Glad u were able to get that hog down before he got to u alex