Kamikaze Cruiser

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
There are boars that behave a certain way and I like to call them "cruisers". These guys seem to always be on the move, alert, and ready to fight. I spotted this guy on the neighbor's property about 2 miles from a huge waste pecan pile the hogs frequent. There is a well worn path going through the neighbor's place straight to the pile. However, I haven't seen many hogs on it and then I spotted this guy on a whim. I watched him slowly slip out of my sight as he headed to the pile. I had to CRREEEEPPPP the truck over the gravel road and keep my distance, as to not spook him off course. I eventually lost sight of him because of the trees, but I had a good idea of where he was heading.

I pulled into the waste pecan pile field and the wind was in my favor. I spotted him on the pile, but he wouldn't settle down and feed. He kept pacing a 100 yard circle. I wanted to video with the X320 on a tripod, but there wasn't a way for me to keep him in the frame. This guy had his motor revved up and wheels spinning. I finally caught up to him on foot and had him sauntering broadside at 40 yards. I let a 90 gold dot rip and it hit him a little back. He squealed bloody murder and kicked on the turbos. I hit him 3 more times while he ran perpendicular to me and then HE TURNED RIGHT TO ME.

This brute wasn't stopping! Soon my scope was filled with nothing but angry pig head coming right to me. I kept in the scope and just kept pulling the trigger with the eotech dot on his head. He finally went tits up at 8 paces from me!!!! I back pedaled quickly keeping in the scope and put two more in his head. Then, I cleaned up the brown stuff running down my leg!

I didn't think he was a very big pig and came in at 41" heart girth (210 pounds). I didn't some cutting to look at the wound channels and his plates were 1 1/8" thick and TOUGH! What a night!

I wanted to keep his head, but his jaw and one cutter was blown to bits.

Last edited:

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The Tripod represents where I was standing and the pig is right where he dropped. The photo makes it look further apart then it is.

Last edited:

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
This is the first hog I have shot with the 90 gold dot since the last test I did. Being charged should make me switch back to the 120 sst, but I want to keep seeing what the gold dot does. This guy was hit a little back on the first shot. I had swapped muzzle devices around this past weekend because TLM was letting me borrow a suppressor while he was here. I guess I didn't get the exact muzzle device back on this rifle or it is a little out of position compared to before because the zero on this rifle was a little off. Time to hit the range again and confirm everything.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well there's a "get of the X" situation! A large percentage of the head is comprised of non-vital structures...as your shots and pictures so nicely demonstrate.

Great job on staying with the target...even if the target was trying to stay with you!

Aren't you glad you weren't using a bolt gun?

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Bolt guns and night hog hunting from the ground don't belong together. When I emptied my brass catcher there were 11 cases. I only remember shooting 5 times.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
11rds to stop this little tank? Thank the good Lord for no jams/feed issues. Way to stay on him Alex. Appreciate the testing you're sharing.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
In fairness to the gold dot I only connected 6 times. Not all of the hits were vital areas either.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In fairness to the gold dot I only connected 6 times. Not all of the hits were vital areas either.

Still 6 times at that range and it did not anchor him? Amazingly tough beast.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great story and a fun exciting hunt. I would say the 90GD is a bit light and not for hog hunting unless you are taking perfect kill shots. Certainly not the rd to use on moving and tough hogs...I have also leaned it is off to the range anytime I turn the MD

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I guess I've been lucky in the past with muzzle devices. I've been able to take them of and put them back on without issue. What happened was i got two identical ones mixed up and they didn't index the same.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah it is really all about the torque you apply to put it on and change the barrel harmonics...usually less than an inch but still. good luck.

Andre Lopes

Boar Hunter from Southern Brazil
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Bolt guns and night hog hunting from the ground don't belong together. When I emptied my brass catcher there were 11 cases. I only remember shooting 5 times.
You are quite right friend!
Here in the south of the world, the only option for semi-auto that we can use are the 12 gauge
In a boar's charge, they are effective until long as it is day and has good visibility. As here we can not use NVG, hunt at night would be very complicated. You are a brave man friend!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
can you hunt at night Andre? we used gun mounted kill lights before the advent of nightvision.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice hunt Alex! Not quite as scary as an attack dillo sliding to a stop 5 ft from you though. :rolleyes: I wonder if I have the stones to stand there and try to stay on the target knowing that it wants to kill me if it can. A dillo is one thing, but a really pissed off tank with razors for weapons is quite another.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andre Lopes

Boar Hunter from Southern Brazil
SUS VENATOR CLUB
can you hunt at night Andre? we used gun mounted kill lights before the advent of nightvision.
Yes Frank, I basically hunt only at night. I use a Surefire flashlight attached to the riflescope. When you have full moon, I can see the boar coming and I turn on the flashlight just a little before shooting. When there is no moon, I use a wireless motion sensor, turn on the flashlight and look for the boar. But I have to find him fast and shoot but he runs!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good Job!You have not experienced life until you kill a hog that is attacking you. Fun Stuff. Did that last year with a 22mag revolver, after almost shooting my foot a couple times finally killed her at 5' in the head with my last round. Wounded her earlier with a running shot from my 270 and ran out of bullets after shooting a half dozen hogs, she went and laid in a tank. Figured she was more hurt than she was. Neighbor lady was freaking out watching it all happen but after that she said I could hunt on her property, huh, go figure.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
A long time ago in a land far far away called Duvalle County I was with some friends shooting Javalina . My weapon was a Marlin 357 magnum lever action. The only experience I had with hogs was messing with the farm hogs at a buddies place. We used to harass the big sow and let her throw us over the fence. Not smart but young! As we walked into a almost dry pound area through a tunnel of thick brush one of my buddies shoots with his 22 magnum. I hear a loud grunt and this 200 pound class sow comes running out of the brush. My other buddy shoots once and leaves. I think I'm Lucas McCain and drop to one knee and start shooting. I can see the mud flying off of the hog, but she don't stop. She ran straight at me and I put two into her chest and then one to her head. She slid to a stop about five feet from me. I levered the rifle on last time and it was empty. One 22 magnum and twelve 357 magnums. My buddies where standing up on the bank calling by all kinds of stupid names. I asked them what their problem was as I was only in her escape route. They advised me they make their own escape route and she was trying to kill me. I laughed this off.

The ranch hands heard the shooting and came to see what we had. They took the hog back for tamales. I could hear them laughing and went to see what was so funny. I had been shooting 140 grain Speer hollow points and they were right up against the rib cage. A few made it through but not enough to kill her.

That night we went back to the same pond. I had a Remington 1100 slug gun and a brand spanking new Streamlite as they had just come out. We see a big hog walking across the white sand and I tell me buddy to turn it on. He turns on the light and one of the biggest hogs I have ever seen is standing about fifteen yards from us. I raise up the gun and he turns the light off. I'm screaming for him to turn it back on as now I'm blinded. I hear a bunch of crashing through the brush and then nothing. The next morning we went back and I saw his "escape route" he made. This made me rethink how bad these animals can be.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but thought it would be interesting.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes Frank, I basically hunt only at night. I use a Surefire flashlight attached to the riflescope. When you have full moon, I can see the boar coming and I turn on the flashlight just a little before shooting. When there is no moon, I use a wireless motion sensor, turn on the flashlight and look for the boar. But I have to find him fast and shoot but he runs!
With the monsters you shoot, a hard hitting 12 ga slug would be a good thing while ground hunting them.