Just pour out on the ground

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Brian, any update. It's been about 6 weeks, did u follow through and keep kool-aid baiting? Im going to go try to set up a pig spot for success at my dads in a week or so. I figured for 5-10$ it couldn't hurt to try

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Still no luck at the Kool-Aid feeder. Have had a single hog hitting a feeder on the north end of the property, but not at the Kool-Aid feeder several hundred yards to the south.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I poured a bag of peach jello under one of my feeders last week. That was the only feeder we found hogs at. Coincidence who knows but it's a cheap step that certainly does not hurt your chances. In in the school of thought that it improves your chances.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
TLM, I keep running tests on various products, as we have discussed. Nothing actually seems to perform in any sort of truly significant manner over plain old corn. Does Kool-Aid or Jello actually improve your chances? Well like you said, it doesn't hurt them, but that isn't the same thing as actually improving them and despite lots of folks' claims that their special recipes or commercial attractants or pet chows "really bring in the hogs" or bring in bigger boars, the claims are not replicable on any consistent basis that I have found. I think your use of the term "coincidence" may be very apropos.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The jello might work but I know a bag of brown sugar may be a miracle, a 25lb bag is $14 or a 2lb bag at walmart is $1.50. sometimes I cook a 10lb bag of rice w 2-3lbs of brown sugar mixed in the water, cost $6.50 and it makes 25lbs. I use plastic culverts 24" or 36" cut lenght wise in half to keep it in place till the animals hit it, there is on by each feeder and roll barrel. I put slop, rice, horse sweetfeed, anything I can get cheap or free.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The only way to really prove anything would be to have a hog in a enclosed environment and give it a pile of plain corn and kool aid treated corn. See which one it eats first. But them all you really prove is that particular hog liked or disliked koolaid lol! ;)

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
AND what works for 1 set of hogs in 1 area does not mean it will work for ALL feral hogs. Heck they change up in the same area all the time, at least here.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
One of the tricks or recommended practices to help animals find your feeding station is to add as much scent as possible if the feeder is not on a wild hog highway.

Just like we use billboards on the interstate to entice travelers to our tourist trap, we put soured corn into a new feeder area. Sort of a Grand Opening if you will.

Hogs always follow their noses, and they have very good noses. Plain ole corn has a scent for sure, but nothing like soured corn. Once the feeder is "on the map",
well, you know how sows talk......

Until a new scent is associated with food, then it will not be as effective as on a trained group. Hogs are smart critters and once they figure it out it should work some of the time.

Good topic.