Just pour out on the ground

Swine Slayers

LSB Member
I know a lot of you use koolaid and such in your sour corn mix. But, you can also just pour the koolaid powder right out onto the ground. Sprinkle all around your feeding area. What happens is the hogs walk thru it all while feeding and track it back thru all their trails. Other hogs that are wondering thru the area hit one of those trails and follow that scent right to your feeding area. Instant new hogs...

I have had great success doing that time and time again.

I buy the 1 quart koolaid containers for about $2. The one with the blue label seems to work the best for me. Sorry, I forgot the flavor. I do that 2 to 3 times a month and constantly getting new and bigger hogs...

Hope this tip can help someone...

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I will definitely give that a try in my area to see if I can get them to come back to the same area repeatedly.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If such a technique actually works, wouldn't the corn dust and bits already do this?

Don't get me wrong. It is a nifty idea, but a regular feeder location brings in new hogs in an area with hogs as well. How can you tell what is the product of feeding at a location versus the Kool-Aid actually being tracked out, sensed, and then followed back?

Attractants are not known to have any affect on the size of the hogs attracted.

Blue label is probably tropical punch or ice blue raspberry.

Swine Slayers

LSB Member
Which has a stronger odor? Koolaid or corn dust? Koolaid.. I've had the same hogs for atleast 3 months in a row when I first set up the feeder. Same hogs. I don't have 20 or 30 different ones coming in. The most I've ever had was 10. Easy to tell them apart in my trail camera. I started putting out koolaid and within 2 days I've gotten new hogs. What I meant from the phrase " new and bigger hogs " was I get more ( different ) hogs constantly and pulling in the bigger hogs more often then when I just keep the corn feeder going. The bigger ( 250# plus ) ones may only come thru a handful of times each, but it is usually always within a few days of using the koolaid trick. I have seen this myself and wouldn't offer it as a tip if it didn't work for me... Give it a try. Buy a few quarts of koolaid, put some out this week, wait 2 weeks do it again, and then 2 more weeks do it again. If it doesn't work, your out $7 - $8 bucks. It works for me...

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This is how we have been doing it for a few years. Any powdered sweet drink we can find at the whole sell or big lot stores. Just pour it out dry. I even pour it dry in my feeders. Deer dont seem to mind at all either.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I keep my eye on the Wal Mart sales. Every now and then I find Sno-Cone syrup on sale for <$2. It comes in a 20oz plastic bottle with a squirt spout.

I either squirt it on the side of a tree and let it drool down,or dig a small hole and squirt it in. I put a small amount of dirt on top of it. I also spread the fresh dug dirt around the hole so that new tracks will show up. --- pruhdlr

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Which has a stronger odor? Koolaid or corn dust? Koolaid.. I've had the same hogs for atleast 3 months in a row when I first set up the feeder. Same hogs. I don't have 20 or 30 different ones coming in. The most I've ever had was 10. Easy to tell them apart in my trail camera. I started putting out koolaid and within 2 days I've gotten new hogs. What I meant from the phrase " new and bigger hogs " was I get more ( different ) hogs constantly and pulling in the bigger hogs more often then when I just keep the corn feeder going. The bigger ( 250# plus ) ones may only come thru a handful of times each, but it is usually always within a few days of using the koolaid trick. I have seen this myself and wouldn't offer it as a tip if it didn't work for me... Give it a try. Buy a few quarts of koolaid, put some out this week, wait 2 weeks do it again, and then 2 more weeks do it again. If it doesn't work, your out $7 - $8 bucks. It works for me...

I fully understand the good intentions and appreciate them.

I have tried more than a dozen other special recipes, charted my hunting success and game camera images of hogs by solunar tables, hunting success and game camera images by moon phases, etc., and have yet to find any patterning that produces consistent results. I have even done the Jello and Kool-Aid in with the corn and the raccoons loved it. I really would like something like this to work, but trying it for six weeks won't produce in positive results that I can tie to Kool-Aid, I am afraid. The Halloween-Christmas acorn bounty is running out now and the temps should be getting progressively colder and the hogs will be needing more food. Hogs will be hitting the feeders in my area again very soon and have already started.

I love hunting hogs and would really like something like this to work, but adding flavoring to a location already known to be a food source by the local hog population isn't convincing as being causative. That the hogs tracks the Kool-Aid along trails and make Kool-Aid lines leading to your kill zone feeder is a new angle I have not heard before. It was my understanding from the experts that hogs could already smell corn over extremely long distances. Interesting.

For me, it sounds like the best time to test this will be next year when the mast is on the ground and the hogs are much less apt to come to the corn.

Swine Slayers

LSB Member
the best time is always now. A tip is not meant to be an arguement as it is turning out to be. A tip is something that works for someone, sees results and tells others so they may try it. If you feel it wont or hasnt worked for you, then so be it. 6 weeks is plenty of time to tell if a product works. Here's how I look at it. Corn dust when wet doesnt make more corn. You get koolaid wet you get more koolaid. Right? So I will use koolaid a few days before it rains so the hogs carry it everywhere and once wet, it gets even more efective.

This tip isnt an arguement. Ive seen the results and can say it works. Hogs will never 100% of the time always come back to your feeder once they found no matter what your using. I now that from my own facts and my trail cam doesnt lie. Koolaid is a tool you can use along with whatever else you are doing.

• Remember, this is only a tip. Not meant for bashing things that ive seen work.

Harris hawker

LSB Member
I have heard this before and used it with out luck.
But I don't bait regularly so that might be why.
Have you tried mixing the powder in the feeder?
Do you think it would clog the feeder with some rain?
I really like the syrup idea.
You can get a lot of kool aid powder at a dollar general pretty cheap.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I pour it in my feeders it has not clogged them up yet. We also use it when starting new baiting areas I have no science proving it but I think they find it sooner with the sweet powder.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Is the koolaid powder the kind that you have to add sugar to?
Wildflower I never even thought about that I just buy the cheapest stuff I can find. Koolaid, poweraid, jello anything with a sweet smell. I've also used anise oil it smells like black licorice.

Swine Slayers

LSB Member
I have heard this before and used it with out luck.
But I don't bait regularly so that might be why.
Have you tried mixing the powder in the feeder?
Do you think it would clog the feeder with some rain?
I really like the syrup idea.
You can get a lot of kool aid powder at a dollar general pretty cheap.
I use hog wild in my feeder. its a powder and no clogging issues.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have no science proving it but I think they find it sooner with the sweet powder.

I think the hunting industry is based on this sort of concept. We often emulate it as well. I have a lucky cap that has done very well for me. Everybody, okay that is a stretch, lots and lots of people have their special formulas for attracting hogs. When it comes to the food ones, they almost always involve known feeding areas with a well used food source (corn) or aren't based on any empirical data.

I just put a new feeder out. It is on a property that has one other feeder that has been out for a month. The property size is 95 acres. Both feeders are on game trails. I have had no hog sign on the property since putting out the first feeder. I will add the Kool-Aid to the new feeder and ostensibly hogs should come to it first, right, be bigger and more regular despite hunting off of the feeder, etc.? I already know that the hogs are coming. That is a foregone conclusion. It is really all about the speed, size, and regularity issue as is claimed to be the benefits of attracts.

If they come to that feeder over the next 6 weeks, I will also start the process on my other property across the road (where I usually hunt when I hunt my land) and see what happens.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Purchased container of Kool-Aid mix and sprinkled it around and under my feeder today, 1 January 2014. The feeder was just installed a couple of days ago and is the only the 2nd feeder on 95 acres. It is located only a few yards off of an active game trail (deer, coyote, and raccoon tracks noted) in a clearing and backs up to a major drainage ravine on the property (animal travel route). So far the only photographs on the camera are birds and the neighbor who helped me install it. The tub of Kool-Aid cost me $2.71 with tax as Walmart. I will repeat application on or around the 15th and the 31st.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Brian if you did not put some in the feeder I recommend throwing the powder letting the wind blow it all around.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It was windy enough when dispersed and we spread it over the cast area of the feeder, pretty much as described in the OP. So it did spread over a bit wider of an area than we intended.

Checked the cam yesterday. The first mammals have arrived. Raccoons. They were preceded by crows.

There has been morning dew since putting out the Kool-Aid. Interesting how the food coloring dye is activated by the dew and stains the ground.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I think I'll wade in on this. The hogs in my area have not been coming in to my feeder that I can tell. I am going to put a camera up this weekend. If nothing shows I'll try the same experiment.