I get to build/buy a 6.8spc. Help me!

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok, well my wife has been asking me what I want for my birthday this year so she could start saving up. She knows that I have been wanting a 6.8spc so she has agreed to let me build/buy one, whichever I decide.
I have been looking at a rifle kit from model 1 sales since I already have a .223 upper from them that is decent quality for the money. Since you guys are the experts on this I am asking for some guidance on either assembling my on or purchasing a good quality rifle without killing my pocket book.
I know buying a complete rifle is much easier however, if I can purchase good quality parts and build myself for cheaper then that is the route I will take. This rifle will be for hunting so I will be looking to save weight as well. Below is a list of things that I have already decided that the rifle will have. I just need to fill in the blanks with the critical pieces.

-fixed A2 style stock, most likely Ace ARFX for weight savings and I like the way they look
-18" barrel length spcII chamber, twist rate? w/ mid-length gas system
-rifle length hand guard, something smooth with ability to add sections of rail where I need them

I have never built an AR before so I am unsure on where to buy parts and what is a good deal.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm running a *** 16" barrel. The first five shots with SSA tactical 110 Accubonds went 1". Check out their site for available barrels. Also check out ATI gunstocks for a fore end. I have two of them and they are great value and performance. Any upper receiver will do IMO

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
stop, do not buy a kit

go to *** and decide on your barrel with the upgraded bolt

we will build around the barrel, which is THE most important part. Trust me on this.

next decide on which upgraded trigger you want, if you don't have a way to decide get a Geissele SSA

are we building a totally new gun or just an upper?

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I can go either way as far as a complete gun or just an upper. As I mentioned I have an AR in .223 so I could just do an upper and swap it onto my plum crazy lower until I purchase another lower. Eventually though I would like to have 2 separate AR's, no swapping uppers back and forth.

I have looked at Bison Armory and they are more reasonably priced than model 1 sales, and more people have good things to say about Bison than M1 even though I cannot complain about the performance of my M1 upper.

BigRedDog, as far as triggers go, I was looking at RRA stage 2 or a timney when I decide to build the lower.

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Okay so after a quick bit of searching and finding parts here is a parts and price list that I have come up with as far as building my own upper. Everyone says *** is the best in barrels and bolts so that is who I would go with for those piece. As far as upper receivers I cannot find them on their website so I went to another well proven source YHM. I will also be using a YHM hand guard so I figured I may as well get the rest of the parts needed for a build through them as well.

ARPerformance.com
* 18" mid-weight barrel - $215
* LWRC 6.8 BCG complete - $250

Yankee Hill Machine
* Caliber Marked Upper Assembly c/w dust cover, forward assist, extended m4 feed ramp, laser engraved 6.8 spc - $122
* Smooth Series Rifle Length Hand guard - $173.50
* Lo Pro "pinch style" gas block - $33.50
* Gas Tube - $18.75
* Charging Handle - $26

Does this list look complete or have I missed anything? I assume that YHM is a good brand to go with for all of these parts. The reviews that I have reads on their products seem good. According to the list above I can build an upper of exceptional quality for less than $850. Which is cheaper than both Bison and M1 sales and I am getting to choose every piece that goes into my rifle. Does this seem right? Is there a better manufacturer out there that I can get some of these parts at cheaper and still have the same quality build?

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Don't order anything just yet. Let me get with gilbert tonight and we will save you a BUNCH of money by not letting you repeat our mistakes.

We have evolved a bit over the last five years of doing this stuff. Let us recommend a few things for you to think about.

Do you have a trust in place?

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm not ordering anything for a while anyway. I'm getting a list and plan together so that I have a price and know how much I need to get saved up.

No I do not have a trust set up. A friend of mine does and I am a trustee on his trust.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
A complete list of my rifle. RRA lower with 2 stage match trigger. ATI grip. MagPul UBR. YHM 6.8 upper with matching dust cover. Delrin block in the forward assist hole. ************** 16" barrel with 51 tooth AAC flash hider. YHM low pro gas block. ATI rifle length hand guard. Burris Peeper mount with Nikon 3x9x50 scope.

As BRD stated let us get together tonight and make you a list. If you are in the Houston area we will put it together for you. BRD doesn't charge, but I drink Bud Lite. LOL

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
the BCG is way over priced...and you need special tools to do the build. Use the expertise here that is willing to help you that is close by, good luck! I am an *** fan boy so would consider an 18" target crown barrel if you need to go the 18".

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Agreed Frank. I forgot the bolt. It was just a 6.8 bolt I picked up for $50 in a gun store and a mil spec Bolt Carrier. I have about 125 in mine. I prefer standard gas blocks of the pinch style. *** puts the dimple there for a reason.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I believe I have a Rguns BCG here complete for $125, if he needs it or cannot find one locally, personally I have *** super bolts in all mine.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I believe I have a Rguns BCG here complete for $125, if he needs it or cannot find one locally, personally I have *** super bolts in all mine.

But we will recommend a threaded barrel

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I only mentioned the 18" target crown because H says it is more accurate than a threaded and he was looking for an 18 and not a 16..the 18" TC is only 1/2" longer that a 16 w a md. All depends on his ranges and what he wants to do. I do know H says his 16" are developing the muzzle velocity of a standard 20".

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Whoa, I got lost in all of that really quick lol. I will be going with a threaded barrel for the sole purpose of being able to run my buddies suppressor on my rifle. When I am not using his suppressor (90% of the time) I will most likely have a thread protector screwed on the end as I don't need the added noise that a break adds. I would definitely appreciate the help assembling it all since I don't have the special tools. I appreciate all of the help thus far and am really getting excited about this.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am not sure you can run someone else s suppressor on your rifle...anyone?

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I can as long as I have the documentation with me. We did all the research on it. And according t his attorney, I am a part of the trust and can use any of the items that are in his trust as long as I have the documentation with me saying that I am entitled to do so. I will only be using these items while I am with him since we do all of our hunting together anyways. However, with proof of documentation I am entitled to possess and use any of the items registered in his trust.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is right, it is yours as much as his if you are on the trust.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well your first statement was not compete so you confused all of us, be sure your builder and the parts gatherers know your intended use

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My apologies. My intended use for this rifle will be hunting. It will be my go to rifle for hog and deer.